Another 'Corking Sign' from C&RT

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

Reply from C&RT re the "Corking" signage

Good afternoon,

Thank you for your email and getting in touch with us.  Myself and other local staff members have noticed the quite serious mistakes on this sign, and reported it to the national team who have been making them for us.  We have had many customers bring this to our attention, and I agree it is not a good example of us at our best. 

I can advise that concerns and feedback have been passed to the team making these signs and it has been requested that more proof reading is done before they are created and erected.

I can only apologise for this mistake and confirm that the sign is being replaced as soon as possible.

Thank you again for letting us know, it is appreciated.

Kindest regards

14 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Reply from C&RT re the "Corking" signage

Good afternoon,

Thank you for your email and getting in touch with us.  Myself and other local staff members have noticed the quite serious mistakes on this sign, and reported it to the national team who have been making them for us.  We have had many customers bring this to our attention, and I agree it is not a good example of us at our best. 

I can advise that concerns and feedback have been passed to the team making these signs and it has been requested that more proof reading is done before they are created and erected.

I can only apologise for this mistake and confirm that the sign is being replaced as soon as possible.

Thank you again for letting us know, it is appreciated.

Kindest regards

Myself, I  am much amused, and, as me and Arthur, my cat paws pause for thought; well, I think it much ado about nothing. God help us [all].

Edited by LadyG
never end a sentence with a supposition

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Never mind the proof reader!

Whoever drafted the sign in the first place with such errors needs moving sideways into a different job.

Should they be given responsibility for something less high profile, like re-cycling?

Edited by LadyG

I'm not sure that improving the 'proof reading' will actually achieve anything UNLESS the proof reader has knowledge of the subject.

it would be quite correct when roof reading 'corking' to 'pass it' as OK - it is a real word and it is spelt correctly - similarly with such as weather, wether and whether.

weather / wether / whether. The climate is made up of “weather”; whether it is nice out depends on whether it is raining or not. A wether is just a castrated sheep. Such a sheep wearing a bell is a “bellwether,” and that's the correct spelling for the same word when it means “an indicator of change.”

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Never mind the proof reader!

Whoever drafted the sign in the first place with such errors needs moving sideways into a different job.

The text was probably dictated verbally to a Secretary, ( who heard CORKING instead of CAULKING) who then sent it off to the printers, who printed it off, the 'proofs' were read by someone on secondment or work-experience who had no idea what CAULKING is, signed it off, and the sign produced.

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I'm not sure that improving the 'proof reading' will actually achieve anything UNLESS the proof reader has knowledge of the subject.

it would be quite correct when roof reading 'corking' to 'pass it' as OK - it is a real word and it is spelt correctly - similarly with such as weather, wether and whether.

weather / wether / whether. The climate is made up of “weather”; whether it is nice out depends on whether it is raining or not. A wether is just a castrated sheep. Such a sheep wearing a bell is a “bellwether,” and that's the correct spelling for the same word when it means “an indicator of change.”

Edited by LadyG