MALL IRON 90deg ELBOW

Gra73

Featured Posts

I managed to bend (reversing) the exhaust elbow joint (Mall 90degree iron elbow) that directs the exhaust fumes toward the water, on trying to take it off it fell into the cut so I don’t have it to know what exactly the replacement part is! And there seems to be quite a few options; male/female etc.

I have a thoryncroft 60D engine (1989)

Any ideas anyone?

Almost certainly a BSP thread so you probably want to know the size and I find BSP baffling. I think the BSP size for threads is the size of the hole in the pipe so either measure that or post the OD here and someone will tell you the size to ask for.

4 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Almost certainly a BSP thread so you probably want to know the size and I find BSP baffling. I think the BSP size for threads is the size of the hole in the pipe so either measure that or post the OD here and someone will tell you the size to ask for.

I have seen a chart online somewhere that if you know the O.D. it will give you the BSP size. I seem to recall it is about one quarter of an inch less.

http://www.pipefittingsdirect.co.uk/contents/en-uk/BSP Identification1.pdf

Edited by Guest

2 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

Simple question,    do you need an elbow sticking out?  Most boats just have the exhaust flush with the hull.

And if you replace it aren’t you just likely to knock it off again?

• Greenie 1

Just read the male or female bit in your question.

The only en you need to worry about is the one that connects to the boat. If you now have a length of threaded pipe sticking out the back you need a female elbow. If you have a threaded hole you need a male elbow. Which ever it is the same at both ends will do the job but as long as the boat end matches the other end is immaterial. I suspect a female outer end will look more finished.

Most likely it is. The 'ole in the back of your boat will be bigger than one and a half inches in diameter, more like just over one and three quarters of an inch.

I refuse to convert to metric, its a BSP fitting and they are definitely imperial.

Edited by Boater Sam
added more