Old BW Boat - do you know of one kicking about

near2floating

Featured Posts

Hi Everyone,

I’m desperately seeking an old BW Work boat (ideally in original condition with open front, I understand AKA "work flat" or “working flat”) quite simple looking boats the front open area is like a skip - I hope I'm describing it properly.

It’s for my uncle who has a farm with a canal running through it, it would really help with some of he lugging he needs to do. I said I’d try and help him, I'd be a cash buyer.
I know of at least 2 in London (where I live), one selling coffee and one for a community based boat maintenance business, having been in touch and I understand that neither of these are up for sale any time soon. Does anyone know of such a boat for sale? Does anyone know of someone who has one and might be open to offers? there's been nothing on Apolo duck or any of the other narrow boat sales websites for the last few months.

I'm new here so be nice - thanks!

Ayesha

I think you'd either stumble across one from a private sale as you're currently trying, or disposal from C&RT or one of the private canal maintenance companies such as The Rothen Group.

In all honesty for C&RT to dispose of something it would have to be well used in the first place.

Welcome on board

...in Portsmouth, so allow for craning costs. Or wait until the Wey & Arun and the Chichester canal are both restored.

I wonder what view CRT would take if someone bought it then started doing their own DIY dredging on some of the shallower places around the system?

2 hours ago, Peter X said:

I wonder what view CRT would take if someone bought it then started doing their own DIY dredging on some of the shallower places around the system?

Bin there, done that.Once upon a time when engineers had some say in how British Waterways  was run, there was co-operation along with blind eyes turned.No-one was contaminated and nobody died.

Now there's a thousand reasons why you can't do it,mostly to do with rear end covering but also  in case it shows up the parlous state of some  parts of the system.

The Clandestine Bridgehole Dredging Team has been disbanded.

5 hours ago, near2floating said:

Hi Everyone,

I’m desperately seeking an old BW Work boat (ideally in original condition with open front, I understand AKA "work flat" or “working flat”) quite simple looking boats the front open area is like a skip - I hope I'm describing it properly.

It’s for my uncle who has a farm with a canal running through it, it would really help with some of he lugging he needs to do. I said I’d try and help him, I'd be a cash buyer.
I know of at least 2 in London (where I live), one selling coffee and one for a community based boat maintenance business, having been in touch and I understand that neither of these are up for sale any time soon. Does anyone know of such a boat for sale? Does anyone know of someone who has one and might be open to offers? there's been nothing on Apolo duck or any of the other narrow boat sales websites for the last few months.

I'm new here so be nice - thanks!

Ayesha

Ayesha,

When you have enough posts (is it 5?) please PM me, I may have a lead to something suitable.

Bill

They can be found in the most unexpected places - we came across this one recently

I don't think it was for sale, though CRT didn't seem that interested in hanging on to it!

P1010573.JPG

P1010575.JPG

34 minutes ago, billh said:

Ayesha,

When you have enough posts (is it 5?) please PM me, I may have a lead to something suitable.

Bill

It used to be that you needed to make 5 posts before you could PM but it's less now - I think 2. :)

30 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

I don't think it was for sale, though CRT didn't seem that interested in hanging on to it!

It looks like it's just taking its self off on an adventure - that photo would make a good writing prompt for some one who writes children's stories. :captain:

Edited by Tumshie

On 20/06/2018 at 17:31, zenataomm said:

I think you'd either stumble across one from a private sale as you're currently trying, or disposal from C&RT or one of the private canal maintenance companies such as The Rothen Group.

In all honesty for C&RT to dispose of something it would have to be well used in the first place.

Welcome on board

Thanks - I’ll check to see if there’s anything on the Crt website.

23 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

They can be found in the most unexpected places - we came across this one recently

P1010573.JPG

P1010575.JPG

Looks perfect. If only it was for sale :-)

23 hours ago, billh said:

Ayesha,

Bill

Have done, thanks Bill.

On 20/06/2018 at 18:34, David Mack said:

Ex BW dredger for sale here:

https://www.apolloduck.com/boat.phtml?id=554996 

Nice one David, looks like this could be an option. I’ll follow it up.