Gang plank

Featured Posts

I found the scaffold plank gangway, too narrow, too slippy and heavy.  I took a 2.5m section of aluminium ladder from my garage and pop riveted 2.0mm thick aluminium chequer plate to the rings.  No more maintenance. Hope this helps?

On 23/05/2018 at 09:25, Jerra said:

If the chequer plate is held on with "Terry Clips" it can be removed providing a ladder to help rescue somebody in the water.  No use to a single hander of course.

I think that an escape ladder might be more important for a single hander.  One of the accidents that was reported 3 or 4 or 5 years ago was one of our members falling in where he was moored and being unable to climb out.  He thought that he had breathed his last.  Rigging a ladder over the stern when you moor up is a good idea.  Probabaly not needed in the summer but in the winter you can soon be so chilled that you can't haul yourself out.

N

22 hours ago, Theo said:

I think that an escape ladder might be more important for a single hander.  One of the accidents that was reported 3 or 4 or 5 years ago was one of our members falling in where he was moored and being unable to climb out.  He thought that he had breathed his last.  Rigging a ladder over the stern when you moor up is a good idea.  Probabaly not needed in the summer but in the winter you can soon be so chilled that you can't haul yourself out.

N

I am certain  an escape ladder is more important for a single hander.  The point I was emphasising was that while the rigid ladder/gang plank is useful iif you never single hand it is of no use to a single hamder.

A good number of GRP boats seem to have a ladder off the stern as an original fitting, mine certainly has and the majority of the boats in the Marina seem to have one as well.

Wow, is this another good point for yogurt pots?

9 minutes ago, manxmike said:

A good number of GRP boats seem to have a ladder off the stern as an original fitting, mine certainly has and the majority of the boats in the Marina seem to have one as well.

Wow, is this another good point for yogurt pots?

Not really, just an indication of the thought and design that goes into a boat as compared to a skip with a lid on.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Not really, just an indication of the thought and design that goes into a boat as compared to a skip with a lid on.

I am glad the each of us loves his/her boat with a love that, while not ignoring its faults, is loyal and proof against all criticism.  Lie wives/husbands/partners I suppose.

?

1 minute ago, Theo said:

I am glad the each of us loves his/her boat with a love that, while not ignoring its faults, is loyal and proof against all criticism.  Lie wives/husbands/partners I suppose.

?

Ignore the muppet comments. He's talking about his skip. Someone pinched his lid.

2 minutes ago, Theo said:

?

Over 30+ years of boating I have had many 'sewer tubes' and loving them for what they are does not change what they are. Technically a boat is anything used for "travelling over water, propelled by oars, sails, or an engine", so yes, they are all boats and everyone loves their boat.