Preferred mooring line and length

Steve Manc

Featured Posts

Hi

I need to replace one of my mooring lines and finding for sale different types, diameters,  lengths and prices. 

My current mooring lines are 8 meters

I have contacted two chandlers  pack one    synthetic 3 strand    14mm diameter x 10 meter length £24.90

Found online  pack of two  3 strand polysoft    14mm diameter x 10 meter length £26.40

Which type and length do people go for?

My narrowboat length is 50 foot.

Thanks

Edited by Steve Manc
added narrowboat

It depends on where you plan to cruise - some locks on Rivers are very deep and you need to stay on board and use your mooring lines to hold you steady.

In your 'patch' I think that the River Weaver is one such where you will need 20 metre lines (to allow for up, around the bollard and back down again)

If you are mooring in a marina on floating pontoons maybe 6 foot lines will be sufficient.

We have two sets of lines. One every day set of two which are 10mm braid on braod lines at 10m long and another set which are 10mm braid on braid which are 20m long for when we need a longer set or need to moor up with all four lines.

We don't use the really long ones very often and most of the time the 10m ones are overly long but there are locks in the area where we do need a minimum of 10m lines.

43 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It depends on where you plan to cruise - some locks on Rivers are very deep and you need to stay on board and use your mooring lines to hold you steady.

In your 'patch' I think that the River Weaver is one such where you will need 20 metre lines (to allow for up, around the bollard and back down again)

If you are mooring in a marina on floating pontoons maybe 6 foot lines will be sufficient.

I didn't need 20m lines on the Weaver

20 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I'd rather have too much than not enough.

I'm sure you agree that the walls are high and that 10mts would not go up, round and down.

IMG_0628.JPG

Fair enough, I must have managed somehow.  My centre lines are the exact length to just avoid any risk of being tangled in the prop.

p.s.  Is that Jeremy Corbyn? ;)