boat survey - who do I choose?

yallapilko

Featured Posts

Hello,

Thanks for looking at my first post!

I'm new at this boat thing and looking at buying a boat in the east midlands.

Who would I choose to use for a survey and valuation. What company etc and who should I avoid.

How much does it cost?

Any help much appreciated!

In my limited experience, you get what you pay for, but if you are going for Marine Finance and Insurance with a good insurance company, they will both insist on a survey / valuation conducted by a surveyor who has full professional qualifications and indemnity insurance.

If you take a peek at ABNB website, and click on the tab, buying a boat, they have a list of recommended surveyors. http://www.abnb.co.uk/submenupages/surveyors.html

Besy of luck!

Edited by Byeckerslike

Hello,

Who would I choose to use for a survey and valuation. What company etc and who should I avoid.

How much does it cost?

After recommending a surveyor to BSP who, I believe, wasn't too impressed, I'm keeping my gob shut.

Hello,

How much does it cost?

Hi and welcome.

We used Balliol Fowden at website and,although not cheap, he was very thorough and is particularly interested in old boats. Also be sure to know about the different types of survey (hull, condition, etc).

Best of luck

SteveE

Hi and welcome.

We used Balliol Fowden at website and,although not cheap, he was very thorough and is particularly interested in old boats. Also be sure to know about the different types of survey (hull, condition, etc).

Best of luck

SteveE

Maybe, his interest is because he used to build NarrowBoats?

Hello,

How much does it cost?

Sorry, missed that first time. I'll get me coat.

Hello,

How much does it cost?

I used Paul smith of Narrowboat Surveys who is based in the midlands, no problem in recommending him

Contact details can be found here

http://www.narrowboatsurveys.co.uk/page12.html

Home page here

http://www.narrowboatsurveys.co.uk/

Very thorough job

Good luck with your purchase

Try Tom Keeling hes very good, he did my boat before i bought at Devies last year!, and i was very pleased with the way he went about things.

Look at waterways world hes normally in the adds at the back under surveys, distances is no issues and he does only narrowboats!

Tom Keeling tel 07976 631920 keelingtom@hotmail.com

Thanks Kristian.

Try Tom Keeling hes very good, he did my boat before i bought at Devies last year!, and i was very pleased with the way he went about things.

Look at waterways world hes normally in the adds at the back under surveys, distances is no issues and he does only narrowboats!

Tom Keeling tel 07976 631920 keelingtom@hotmail.com

Thanks Kristian.

Thanks for that! Will look into it.

do people in this trade usually travel a long way to do boat valuations/surveys etc? Are there only a few around the country so they have to travel?