Safe/Recomended Detergents

robtheplod

Featured Posts

42 minutes ago, Goliath said:

As an aside,

I used to use a shop where you could refill your Ecover liquid bottles. Don’t know why more places can’t do that. For that reason I used the product. 

and another aside further aside,

Ive found most of my weed hatch visits  over the last year have brought up coal bags. 
so it’d be very easy for boaters to help the environment by disposing of their coal bags in a bin. 😃

Yes, we have one of those.

I find that their ecological washing-up liquid (EcoLeaf, I think) works brilliantly in our proper Northern soft water. What it's like in the horrible solutions of calcium salts that pass for H2O dahn sarf I wouldn't care to comment on.

8 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Yes, we have one of those.

I find that their ecological washing-up liquid (EcoLeaf, I think) works brilliantly in our proper Northern soft water. What it's like in the horrible solutions of calcium salts that pass for H2O dahn sarf I wouldn't care to comment on.

EcoLeaf, I’ll have a look out for it. 

I rarely venture South. 
(mind I need to get there this summer). 

Do we still get lovely Welsh water in the Midlands? 

I try to make sure my plates are cleaned up, using paper towels if necessary, so they need very little detergent, and the final rinse is plain running water. I also use natural brushes and luffas as they do not use plastic and will biodegrade, long term, they last longer than wash up sponges, and are also good for grimy hands, well any scrubbing.

Ecover was probably set up years ago when phosphates were used extensively in washing up liquid, I'm not sure they are much better than others nowadays, but they are often a reasonable price.

I use soap rather than other things, soap is good for hand washing, socks, and for my newbuck boots, also my leather chair, Cusssons Imperial Leather is my favourite.

17 hours ago, Goliath said:

What’s your cover made of?

and depends on the filth 😂

Mine’s acrylic, I’ve been using canal water on a mop to wet it down and then just a bit of washing up liquid (😬) on a rag with gentle elbow grease and then rinse off with canal water. 
Inside I keep clean with warm tap water on a cloth with a tad of washing up liquid. 

Not sure of the fabric, but its not shiny, more like the top to a convertible car, and it is just beginning to go a bit mouldy (got neglected through the winter). I'd use car stuff but am a bit wary of the impact on the local wild life!

19 hours ago, Goliath said:

EcoLeaf, I’ll have a look out for it. 

I rarely venture South. 
(mind I need to get there this summer). 

Do we still get lovely Welsh water in the Midlands? 

Dunno. Ours in Stockport comes from Haweswater.

17 hours ago, LadyG said:

I try to make sure my plates are cleaned up, using paper towels if necessary, so they need very little detergent, and the final rinse is plain running water. I also use natural brushes and luffas as they do not use plastic and will biodegrade, long term, they last longer than wash up sponges, and are also good for grimy hands, well any scrubbing.

Ecover was probably set up years ago when phosphates were used extensively in washing up liquid, I'm not sure they are much better than others nowadays, but they are often a reasonable price.

I use soap rather than other things, soap is good for hand washing, socks, and for my newbuck boots, also my leather chair, Cusssons Imperial Leather is my favourite.

The best pan scrubber I've ever found is made from a piece of coconut shell.  The older it gets, the better it works.