Bridgewater Canal license and moorings

Philip

Featured Posts

Does anyone know the current cost of a Bridgewater Canal 12 month license for a boat of 25-30ft length?

I have similar question regarding moorings in the Manchester/Sale/Worsley/Lymm areas - what's the current rough price for this length? 

Also a further question; what defines a residential mooring on the Bridgewater Canal? I'm basically looking at a long term mooring close to where I live and to use the boat for shorter trips and to regularly visit for short periods, but not to actually live on full time. So I don't think that would fall into the residential mooring category, but what is the maximum time/number of days in a year that you can spend on your boat on the Bridgewater if you have a non-residential mooring? Only asking because I've read that the company is a bit strict in these matters!

Thanks, but at the moment I haven't bought the boat I'm looking at (already have a cruiser on CRT waters), it's the early stages right now; I'm just trying to get an idea of the running costs. On the Bridgewater Canal website they want the boat details (index number etc) included in the enquiry, which I don't have.

Philip

My annual cruising licence for the Bridgewater Canal has just been renewed £430 for a 40 foot narrowboat.

On top of this I also pay mooring fees to the Bridgewater Canal Company and one of the 5 boat clubs on the canal.

In addition to the above I purchase a 6 month short term licence from the Canal and River Trust for the summer period.

Mooring fees vary a lot and the only way to find out is to work your way through the moorings list on the Bridgewater Canal Company website and ring up for the information.(see adam1uk's link above)

Steve

1 hour ago, Philip said:

Thanks everyone for the info. And £430 for a 40 footer licence sounds encouraging! 

It's not quite as simple or as cheap as that :(

The Bridgewater charge a Mooring Fee and a License fee, but I dont know why they differentiate? Perhaps if you pay a marina for mooring, you dont pay the mooring fee.

Anyway, my mooring fee plus license fee for a 45ft narrowboat is about £1100 per year. Plus I pay a few hundred quid to the club I moor at.

On 27/04/2018 at 19:28, Boater Sam said:

Is that for a fat boat too?

No, a 25-ft narrowboat.

I'd be happy with Boothstown or the Lymm area (anywhere from Dunham Massey to Lymm) to moor. I've thought about Worsley and Sale, but are these reasonably secure moorings?

15 hours ago, Philip said:

No, a 25-ft narrowboat.

I'd be happy with Boothstown or the Lymm area (anywhere from Dunham Massey to Lymm) to moor. I've thought about Worsley and Sale, but are these reasonably secure moorings?

Some options

Boothstown marina

Ye olde no 3

Lymm Cruising Club

Lymm marina

Hesford marine

Lloyds bridge

Plus there are a number of other moorings in the area.