Canal Maps

jddevel

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, dccruiser said:

I had a number of dawncrafts over the years and used to be involved with the owners club hence my nic DCcruiser ... The last one i had was a 27 footer fitted with a paloma, shower etc, in that i installed an ancient webasto blown air heater under the rear deck fed by an outboard tank and ducted into the cabin with an outlet into the bathroom and it was brilliant even in the depths of winter. 

Rick

And there was me thinking you had a  battery powered boat :P

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Jim Riley said:

Was that the dawncraftowners.com forum or a "real" club? The DC forum was great while it lasted. 

It certainly was ... I was involved in both ... If you remember them I actually Had a blog on the rebuild of my Dawncraft as when i bought it it was a total basket case, sat on blocks in a boatyard in Yorkshire looking like it would never float again, the rubbing strakes were hanging off as all the screws had all but dissolved with rust so between them and the corner fenders i had to repair 108 holes in the hull! then i put a few coats of toplac on it and it came away looking like a new boat, ran it on a 9.9 high thrust yamaha 4 stroke and it managed the tidal Trent in flood from Keadby Cromwell in one hit, I was still in the Paras then, so it was the ideal boat for weekending and the odd week or two away... so many great memories!

Rick

2 hours ago, cuthound said:

And there was me thinking you had a  battery powered boat :P

Very good! ... in the words of Basil Faulty " read a lot of Oscar Wilde do you?" :P 

Rick

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ronnietucker said:

Whatever happened to the dawncraftowners.com forum? That kinda thing would be invaluable to me, and (I'm sure) many others.  :D

It died! One of the "characters" was modded out if existence, people began to visit less. 

There's probably a few in here who can offer what knowledge they have gleaned. Also try thunderboat.net, on the dark side! 

2 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

It died! One of the "characters" was modded out if existence, people began to visit less. 

There's probably a few in here who can offer what knowledge they have gleaned. Also try thunderboat.net, on the dark side! 

That's a shame. I'm sure a lot of good information went down with it.  :(

I suppose it is a bit of a niche market catering only to Dawncraft owners.

Isn't there a web archive, wayback machine or something? It was www.dawncraftowners.com. 

I have a scan of an original Dawncraft leaflet somewhere, but apparently all the designing was done on the back of a fag packet, so there isn't much in the way of plans. 

Just now, Jim Riley said:

Isn't there a web archive, wayback machine or something? It was www.dawncraftowners.com. 

I have a scan of an original Dawncraft leaflet somewhere, but apparently all the designing was done on the back of a fag packet, so there isn't much in the way of plans. 

I was just checking the Wayback Machine. They do have several archives of it, but none of the posts are readable.   :(

4 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

This one?

bw-dawncraft-22.jpg

• Greenie 1

42 minutes ago, ronnietucker said:

Whatever happened to the dawncraftowners.com forum? That kinda thing would be invaluable to me, and (I'm sure) many others.  :D

Sadly back at the time the guy who started it wouldnt allow anyone else to become involved in the day to day running of the site, the webspace costs were always an issue and a few of us offered help both with the administration and financially the help wasnt taken, so sadly the site wasnt kept updated. ... the owners list was particularly useful to tie up with someone local to help each other out or just share ideas, a lot of the help you need you will probably find through here as aside from current Dawncraft owners , there are loads who started boating with one ... if here is anything specific give us a shout :) 

Rick

49 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

If you remember the "characters" Supermalc used to crack me up! he was one of the biggest contributors , but never actually owned a Dawncraft! just didnt get on with the folk on the (cough cough spit!) Norman site, met him at Bardney many years ago lovely guy but got to be one of the most haphazard boaters ever!

Rick

17 hours ago, dccruiser said:

If you remember the "characters" Supermalc used to crack me up! he was one of the biggest contributors , but never actually owned a Dawncraft! just didnt get on with the folk on the (cough cough spit!) Norman site, met him at Bardney many years ago lovely guy but got to be one of the most haphazard boaters ever!

Rick

It was malc I was thinking of. Afaik he left because he wasn't allowed to share a video, copywriter issues etc. Fuzzyduck used to post in here, maybe he no longer has a boat

5 hours ago, Jim Riley said:

It was malc I was thinking of. Afaik he left because he wasn't allowed to share a video, copywriter issues etc. Fuzzyduck used to post in here, maybe he no longer has a boat

I had a feeling it might be Malc !

Few years since i last spoke to Fuzzy ... at that time he was considering selling his Dawny to fund a river/estuary boat as he wanted a chartplotter!

Rick

Edited by dccruiser