Roof Insulation Installation

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, The Grumpy Triker said:

I have a few protruding screws/rivets on the inside of the roof which would immediately pierce any condensation barriers on a slab material

Just in case you missed it, I did point out that the vapour barrier should be on the boat side (inside) of the insulation, not next to the steel. 

58 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Just in case you missed it, I did point out that the vapour barrier should be on the boat side (inside) of the insulation, not next to the steel. 

:) yep I did note it but others had said other side and some products are sealed both sides I think....was just about to ask you again as going by loft space coverage etc. Is always inside facing.....but not having dealt with a steel roof before I thought I'd better check again as your post made sense given my slim knowledge.

Thanks for the clarification :cheers:

Got a lot of steel scrubbing and epoxy filling on old screw holes to do but cold weather won't help with condensation so not sure under what conditions I can do the refit of the insulation....not even chosen my ceiling material as yet, will need new battens for sure.

I have gone for the thinsulate, just seems the best option for my skills and situation....expensive but the most flexible....let's hope I've not put the mockers on it :o

Many thanks to all on here, all really helpful responses, even if it did widen my choices a bit.:cheers:

Just now, The Grumpy Triker said:

:) yep I did note it but others had said other side and some products are sealed both sides I think....was just about to ask you again as going by loft space coverage etc. Is always inside facing.....but not having dealt with a steel roof before I thought I'd better check again as your post made sense given my slim knowledge.

Thanks for the clarification :cheers:

Got a lot of steel scrubbing and epoxy filling on old screw holes to do but cold weather won't help with condensation so not sure under what conditions I can do the refit of the insulation....not even chosen my ceiling material as yet, will need new battens for sure.

I have gone for the thinsulate, just seems the best option for my skills and situation....expensive but the most flexible....let's hope I've not put the mockers on it :o

Many thanks to all on here, all really helpful responses, even if it did widen my choices a bit.:cheers:

Should say ...seemed expensive until I worked out all of the other prices in full...not the cheapest would seem to be a better comment.

My boat was re-fitted out some two years ago by a previous owner [I was told] but,in below zero temperatures there are some cold areas inside even with the stove going full blast.I suspect that the insulation was a bit skimped on the re-fit.

Rather than removing trim panels and cupboards I am thinking of simply drilling a few holes at various points in the trim and squirting spray foam in plugging the holes later.

I realise this could be quite expensive and the foam will stick like the proverbial to the inside of the trim panels,but it strikes me as an easier option.

Am I being too simplistic ? or does it sound practical ?

I would welcome any comments.

1 minute ago, Furness said:

My boat was re-fitted out some two years ago by a previous owner [I was told] but,in below zero temperatures there are some cold areas inside even with the stove going full blast.I suspect that the insulation was a bit skimped on the re-fit.

Rather than removing trim panels and cupboards I am thinking of simply drilling a few holes at various points in the trim and squirting spray foam in plugging the holes later.

I realise this could be quite expensive and the foam will stick like the proverbial to the inside of the trim panels,but it strikes me as an easier option.

Make sure the void is large enough for the amount of foam you intend to inject

1 minute ago, Furness said:

Had a similar thought for one area but someone made the point that the 'expandin' foam doesn't always expand as you would like it to ....so I gave that one a miss and am living in a building site :lol:

Just now, The Grumpy Triker said:

Had a similar thought for one area but someone made the point that the 'expandin' foam doesn't always expand as you would like it to ....so I gave that one a miss and am living in a building site :lol:

I've bought two heater now that I have a shoreline connection but also borrowing a few others in readiness for recreating Dubai temperatures inside.....and am stoking up the electric account in readiness. 

I have used expanding foam before when installing new windows at home.Can't remember the make but I do remember it was a pale yellow colour and after filling the gap it kept expanding and expanding all over the place.I had to cut loads of it away once it had set.

I suppose that different makes of foam have different characteristics. I was given this tube of foam by a builder who was working nearby.   Wish I could remember the make.

1 hour ago, Furness said:

I have used expanding foam before when installing new windows at home.Can't remember the make but I do remember it was a pale yellow colour and after filling the gap it kept expanding and expanding all over the place.I had to cut loads of it away once it had set.

I suppose that different makes of foam have different characteristics. I was given this tube of foam by a builder who was working nearby.   Wish I could remember the make.

Good luck :cheers:

Hopefully it isn't one of those to push your panels out....seen that one but then the fitting of the panels was none too clever

1 hour ago, Furness said:

I suppose that different makes of foam have different characteristics.

Very much so. Just looking at the offerings from Screwfix show that some expand much, much more than others. 

Dry therm if you want to use a fibre type product although I used 50mm Celotex in my sailaway between roofing battens all covered with AirGuard as a air break. This cold weather and the  Webasto going full on the only condensation is around the aluminium windows the builder installed. The art is to keep the warm air from contacting the cold steel. Celotex is the heat retainer Airguard prevents the warm moist air contacting the cold steel.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/12/2017 at 18:30, The Grumpy Triker said:

Good luck :cheers:

Hopefully it isn't one of those to push your panels out....seen that one but then the fitting of the panels was none too clever

A very good observation. Pity I didn't take much notice. Filling with foam was ok in the shorter sections of trim that were well secured,but in longer sections with wider spaced screws the panels did indeed push out. Trim is 3mm veneered ply.

On 25/12/2017 at 21:22, Furness said:

A very good observation. Pity I didn't take much notice. Filling with foam was ok in the shorter sections of trim that were well secured,but in longer sections with wider spaced screws the panels did indeed push out. Trim is 3mm veneered ply.

These new expanding foams really do put some pressure out - sorry you had the negative....don't like being right in these instances.

Just wondering whether it would be a good idea to put expanding foam around the water tank in the bow space bit of insulation!?

Some of the ceiling polystyrene insulation was water logged so refitting nearly half the boat this winter....has worked out for the better as able to expand the galley.

14 minutes ago, The Grumpy Triker said:

These new expanding foams really do put some pressure out - sorry you had the negative....don't like being right in these instances.

Just wondering whether it would be a good idea to put expanding foam around the water tank in the bow space bit of insulation!?

Some of the ceiling polystyrene insulation was water logged so refitting nearly half the boat this winter....has worked out for the better as able to expand the galley.

When it comes to adhesive screwfix do something by evo stiK called sticks like sh*t ... and trust me it does! 

Rick

On 30/12/2017 at 18:29, The Grumpy Triker said:

I used expanding foam trying to save the bother of removing trim panels.[cos you can never get the buggers back exactly as they came off.]  But I have had to remove the panels that the foam pushed out to cut away excess foam.This was harder than removing panels that didn't have spray foam,also the shower feed pipes run quite high up behind the trim,so I have had to clean these up as well.  So in trying to save myself work,I have actually made more !

If you are going to use spray foam around your water tank,remember it is difficult to remove once set,because it really does stick,and also if you get it around any plumbing,it will make tracing leaks difficult.

We live and learn !