New 1410 Squirrel .Gripes so far.....

rusty69

Featured Posts

So I bought a new 1410 squirrel yesterday with separate back boiler to be fitted

A few things I have noticed since the purchase of our old one:-

1. Fitting the boiler requires dis-assembly and drilling(maybe it always did, and I have forgotten).

2. Only one front grate (come on Morso, surely we could have two)

3. The ash pan door cannot be opened unless the main door is open.

4. Hex head screws used on collar and glass fixing.

5. Spinners have been restricted by addition of backing washers

6. The ashpan seems to hit the bottom of the grate when inserted/removed.

7. Back heat shield,and potentially bottom one redundant.

8. Baffle plate, rear fire brick and smoke hood (or whatever it is ) not required on boiler model

will probably be more so.....

Edited by rusty69

33 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

So I bought a new 1410 squirrel yesterday with separate back boiler to be fitted

A few things I have noticed since the purchase of our old one:-

1. Fitting the boiler requires dis-assembly and drilling(maybe it always did, and I have forgotten).

7. Back heat shield,and potentially bottom one redundant.

8. Baffle plate, rear fire brick and smoke hood (or whatever it is ) not required on boiler model

Are you sure about that?  I think that's how they are shipped, but AFAIK the doors can easily be separated though I can't remember how.

22 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

A few things I have noticed since the purchase of our old on:-

7. Back heat shield,and potentially bottom one redundant

Ash Pan door has to be so that it cannot be opened on it own. To do with being accepted in the UK

Always did require disassemly to fit the coils

Spinners have to be restricted to keep it output below 4.8kW otherwise it has to be installed by a registered engineer.

Check the grate is in properly and the riddling rod is not out of position. The gap between ashtray and the bottom of the grate is quite small.

Whoraaa Hex head on the window bolts, good. BTW I would drop them out and put a good dob of grease on them. Hopefully they will not rust in.

My Morso came with two front grates, don't know where the second has gone thinking about it :)

I suspect all the redundant plates are because you bought a stove and added the water heating ring. They normally come fitted or did.

1 minute ago, Neil2 said:

Are you sure about that?  I think that's how they are shipped, but AFAIK the doors can easily be separated though I can't remember how.

Yes,there is a small bracket screwed to the ashpan door.It can easily be removed, but leaves a couple of holes,which will need to be filled,or the screws put back in.

36 minutes ago, Geo said:

Ash Pan door has to be so that it cannot be opened on it own. To do with being accepted in the UK

Always did require disassemly to fit the coils

Spinners have to be restricted to keep it output below 4.8kW otherwise it has to be installed by a registered engineer.

Check the grate is in properly and the riddling rod is not out of position. The gap between ashtray and the bottom of the grate is quite small.

Whoraaa Hex head on the window bolts, good. BTW I would drop them out and put a good dob of grease on them. Hopefully they will not rust in.

My Morso came with two front grates, don't know where the second has gone thinking about it :)

I suspect all the redundant plates are because you bought a stove and added the water heating ring. They normally come fitted or did.

The grate is defintely in properly. Interestingly if I disconnect the riddling lever thing, and turn the grate through 90 degrees, the ashpan no longer catches. As I never use the riddling thing as it tends to kill grates rapidly, I can live with the mod.

Perhaps I should have got one with boiler already fitted, but not sure where to get one.

Edited by rusty69

All the silly mods are easily removed and you can put the boiler in without taking it to bits, I have done 3, it seems impossible but after much wriggling and swearing it suddenly drops through the door.

You will have to drill two holes but there is usualy two small indentations at the required locations.

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

All the silly mods are easily removed and you can put the boiler in without taking it to bits, I have done 3, it seems impossible but after much wriggling and swearing it suddenly drops through the door.

You will have to drill two holes but there is usualy two small indentations at the required locations.

Did it today,took the top off,which was simple enough.Shame about the "upgrades"

1 hour ago, Nightwatch said:

On ours there as a 'lugg' held in place by two screws to stop the ash door being opened without the main door being opened. I took the luff off. 

Me too. Now left with two holes that require filling. Still thats progress for you