12 volt fluorescent bulb

NB Lola

Featured Posts

I didn't know such a thing existed - you need a high voltage to get the tube to 'strike' or start.  I have that type of unit on our boat but it's powered by some very small electronics 'hidden' well within the housing. They're no longer made, sadly, so I'm treasuring mine. If there's a problem it's usually with the switch where it's soldered to the circuit board. Of course yours could be completely different.

The tube BTW is 16w - a standard 2-D.  

If you want to swap the 2D tubes for led ive found this

https://www.atenlighting.co.uk/42led-circular-connector.html

Im going to order one to test when we get back from our trip. 

That 2D lamp should work fine in the Marlec 12v 2D units as was previously said...all the tubes are the same...it's the driver circuit which is different in the 12v or 240v units. 

As an aside the 12v driver boards seem to have a habit of burning out transistors if either the supply voltage is low or the lamp has aged (black parts of the tube). In some cases I've seen the cases melt due to the heat before they fail. 

5 hours ago, frangar said:

If you want to swap the 2D tubes for led ive found this

https://www.atenlighting.co.uk/42led-circular-connector.html

Im going to order one to test when we get back from our trip. 

That 2D lamp should work fine in the Marlec 12v 2D units as was previously said...all the tubes are the same...it's the driver circuit which is different in the 12v or 240v units. 

As an aside the 12v driver boards seem to have a habit of burning out transistors if either the supply voltage is low or the lamp has aged (black parts of the tube). In some cases I've seen the cases melt due to the heat before they fail. 

AHA 'light' at the tunnel... My kit is 24v, so accounts for why I've never had any problems with the boards (apart from dodgy solder joints), so many thanks for the link

• 2 weeks later...

I've now fitted the LED 2D replacement from Aten and I'm very happy. The light output & colour temperature is comparable with a 2D tube. Even the light dispersion is pretty close which for an LED is excellent. Fitted one next to a 2D tube so was able to get a side by side comparison. Current draw is 0.4a so just under half of the orginal unit...that reading was taken from an ammeter but ties up with the spec sheet. 

To summarise these are the best units to replace a tube but keep the housings that I've come across unless anyone else knows better.