Gas Advice Please

BrettT

Featured Posts

Hi All,

1st time post - so hopefully I don't upset anyone ;)

I am hoping for some advice and ideally a professional opinion regarding the routing of the gas pipe on our boat. It runs down the inboard exposed surface of the gunwale, so it's possible to drop something on it, against it or even step on it. Have a look at the attached pic and tell me if I'm being over cautious!

thanks for taking a look!

BretttT

IMG_0294.JPG

Thanks all for some useful ideas, I particularly like the idea of totally covering it in P clips, though I feel BSS man may not see the funny side! (Just going to check stock at my local screwfix )

6 minutes ago, BrettT said:

Thanks all for some useful ideas, I particularly like the idea of totally covering it in P clips, though I feel BSS man may not see the funny side! (Just going to check stock at my local screwfix )

Leave about half inch to an each between each clip. That way the BSS bloke can still see the pipe. Box it in entirely with something even just a little bit bigger than the pipe and he would probably want it exposed to check it.

43 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Leave about half inch to an each between each clip. That way the BSS bloke can still see the pipe. Box it in entirely with something even just a little bit bigger than the pipe and he would probably want it exposed to check it.

MtB posted at some point that 'over clipping' contravened some rule or other but I don't think it had anything to do with boats, and neither do I believe that the BSS would mind. 

18 minutes ago, WotEver said:

MtB posted at some point that 'over clipping' contravened some rule or other but I don't think it had anything to do with boats, and neither do I believe that the BSS would mind. 

If the clips were butted up against each other I could understand it contravening a rule. The examiner might think the gas is flowing through the clips with no pipe inside.  An alternative is to weld a steel ledge above it, but then the jolly old shins would end up in tatters.

30 minutes ago, bizzard said:

If the clips were butted up against each other I could understand it contravening a rule. 

I can't remember exactly what he said but I think it was something like no farther apart than 300mm and no closer than 150mm. As I said though, I don't believe it was applicable to boats.