Middlewich

Maverick

Featured Posts

Travelling from preston brook and plan to moor at Middlewich for the night. Anyone tell me the safest place to moor-up

We've been there quite a number of times and have moored up below Big Lock, above Big Lock next to the Park, near the steps and the shops close to the winding hole, near Anderson Boats and also up above Wardle Lock. We've never had any problems.

If you're wanting to moor up somewhere a little quiter then I'd recommend below Big Lock, but saying that the towpath is always very muddy and the actual banking is very low and leans down towards the water level so may be a bit tricky getting on the boat depending how you are on your pins. For quick access to shops etc, I'd moor up near the Winding hole. What I'd think about though, is that if you're in Middlewich over the weekend then the Middlewich 3 and either Wardle, or Kings Lock may get a bit busy depending on which route you take, and, of course, the weather, so I'd probbably go through all the locks in the evening when you arrive and then you're clear in the morning to get going without delays.

We've been there quite a number of times and have moored up below Big Lock, above Big Lock next to the Park, near the steps and the shops close to the winding hole, near Anderson Boats and also up above Wardle Lock. We've never had any problems.

If you're wanting to moor up somewhere a little quiter then I'd recommend below Big Lock, but saying that the towpath is always very muddy and the actual banking is very low and leans down towards the water level so may be a bit tricky getting on the boat depending how you are on your pins. For quick access to shops etc, I'd moor up near the Winding hole. What I'd think about though, is that if you're in Middlewich over the weekend then the Middlewich 3 and either Wardle, or Kings Lock may get a bit busy depending on which route you take, and, of course, the weather, so I'd probbably go through all the locks in the evening when you arrive and then you're clear in the morning to get going without delays.

Thanks Liam. Think I will go through the 3 locks then its 3 less to do the next day. Would I be pushing it to much to try and reach wheelock on the first day and if I did are there any safe moorings there?

Depending on what time you set off, Wheelock may be pushing it a tad but it's definately do-able. As for moorings, you're pretty safe mooring up anywhere between Preston Brook and Red Bull. Once you're through the tunnel you're getting towards the thick of Stoke and the only place I'd moor up along this stretch is Eturia, and then on the other side at Stone. There's the Romping Donkey, and if I remember rightly the Broughton Arms Pubs. Will you be on your own, and what time will you be setting off from Preston Brook? The earlier the better I reckon.

To give you an idea of mileages along this stretch we once went from Eturia to Broken Cross on the T&M in one day, and from the other angle went from Whixhall Marine on the Llangollen to Wincham Wharf on the T&M. It wasn't so much as a pleasure cruise, on both occasions we were on recently bought narrowboats (Mine from Llangollen and my parents from Tring, GU) and had to get back to get to work!

Edited by Liam

It is not a question of safety, both places are perfectly OK in that respect. Wheelock is a nice place for an overnight stop, it has a nice pub, the Cheshire Cheese which is always good, a short walk towards Sandbach is the Nags Head, a bit more posh.

Middlewich can get a bit lively on some evenings but don't confuse that with 'safety'. I have often moored above Kings Lock, a good chip shop across the road and the Kings Lock pub is OK without being brilliant, the traffic noise could be a problem for some. More recently I have overnighted on the stretch near The Big Lock and visited the Newton Brewery Inn, much better than it looks from the outside.

Then there is the Kinderton Arms (has anyone been in there) the book says something like "Ignore it's dour appearance and walk in", I did once, the interior and the landlord were even more 'dour', couldn't get out quickly enough.

Liam reminded me of the Broughton Arms at at Rode Heath, it used to be a proper canal pub with real ale and an original boat horse harness hung on the wall of the tap room, I used to enjoy a stop there. It has been improved into what looks like a MacDonalds with similar food, kids playground, lousey expensive beer, plastic chairs.

Edited by John Orentas

I'm not sure if people rely on Canan Planner or not, I have a feeling there may be some doubters but it does give you a general idea...

Preston Brook to Wheelock..

Total distance is 22 miles, 3½ flg and 10 locks. There are at least 3 small aqueducts or underbridges and 3 tunnels.

Made up of 22 miles, 3½ furlongs of narrow canals; 10 narrow locks.

This will take 10 hours, 47 minutes which is 1 days, 1 hour and 47 minutes at 9 hours per day.

Then there is the Kinderton Arms (has anyone been in there) the book says something like "ignore it's dour appearance and walk in", I did once, the interior and the landlord were even more 'dour', couldn't get out quickly enough.

That's the touble with the books, they are often so terribly out of date.

I last went in the Kinderton Arms 20 years ago. It did indeed look dour, but it was a bitterly cold day, with a howling gale and steady rain. We stopped and went in, got a friendly welcome and had a good meal. Admittedly any pub would have seemed welcoming in that weather, but a lot can change in 20 years (except the text inside Nicholson's)

Has anybody noticed in the new "Four Counties & Welsh Canals" that there's an extra lock just north of the junction of the Caldon, and that it skips about 3 miles of canal near Barbridge on the Wardle Arm.

I'm not sure if people rely on Canan Planner or not, I have a feeling there may be some doubters but it does give you a general idea...

Total distance is 22 miles, 3½ flg and 10 locks. There are at least 3 small aqueducts or underbridges and 3 tunnels.

This will take 10 hours, 47 minutes which is 1 days, 1 hour and 47 minutes at 9 hours per day.

Sounds a bit to much that does. Thinking of the engine more than my crew he he. Looks like Middlewich it is for the night. Thanks Liam

Yes they always seem pessimistic to me, I am sure I would do it quicker than that.

The windblown boring stretch into Middlewich, it always rains along there everyone knows that.

Edited by John Orentas

Sounds a bit to much that does. Thinking of the engine more than my crew he he. Looks like Middlewich it is for the night. Thanks Liam

Why. You have a Sabb. You and your crew will get tired before the engine does.

Plans don't always necessarily go to plan. Get up and off for 6am and just keep on going until you've had enough. You've plenty of banks between Preston Brook and Red Bull to moor up so just go for it.

That's the touble with the books, they are often so terribly out of date.

I last went in the Kinderton Arms 20 years ago. It did indeed look dour, but it was a bitterly cold day, with a howling gale and steady rain. We stopped and went in, got a friendly welcome and had a good meal. Admittedly any pub would have seemed welcoming in that weather, but a lot can change in 20 years (except the text inside Nicholson's)

It's now an Indian restaurant.

Tim

Has anybody noticed in the new "Four Counties & Welsh Canals" that there's an extra lock just north of the junction of the Caldon, and that it skips about 3 miles of canal near Barbridge on the Wardle Arm.

That's odd, they have put lock 40 to the North of the Caldon instead of the South. I think they have missed a road bridge too.

Can't see much wrong with the Wardle Arm though, if any thing my old 'Central' is a bit out.

I did Anderton to Wheelock in a day - and that was starting the day by driving up from London first - you should be able to do Preston Brook easily if you are starting at 6am. Wheelock was fine for an overnight mooring, as was Etruria.

When hiring from Middlewich NBs - yes we took Holly out several times - we used to use the strect between bridges 165 and 164 as a last night mooring. Its sheltered from road noise.

Remember to be careful with paddles at Wheelock, boats can become uncontrollable by engine alone becuse of the water flow patterns.

When hiring from Middlewich NBs - yes we took Holly out several times - we used to use the strect between bridges 165 and 164 as a last night mooring. Its sheltered from road noise.

Remember to be careful with paddles at Wheelock, boats can become uncontrollable by engine alone becuse of the water flow patterns.

Did have trouble in some locks holding the boat back by the engine and climbed out at a lot and held it by rope. The 6am start from Preston Brook didnt happen due to duff batteries on the first morning. Battery changed at 11.am and on our way. Made it to Kings sumut or other and enjoyed sum overpriced fish and chips for tea.

second days start at 6am didnt happen either as it was felt wise to fill up with diesel as a long way to go before I would get the chance again. Fill her up I said and unable to see the pump dial nearly had a bloody heart attack when the bill came to just under £75. Least its done I said and off we went leaving a trail of diesel in our wake. several miles later when it dawned on us it wasnt an overflow problem we pulled into investigate and found a fine jet of fuel pissing out of a pinhole in the side of the tank.

A wine bottle cork wedged between the rim of the deck and the corroded pin hole cured the immediate leak and off we went again. Better check the water I thought and let the engine cool a bit before we do the next lock I said a few miles later. Stopped the engine, topped up water from some bottles as very low, turned the key and bugger all????? Found out how the hand crank worked and off we set again before we finally settled for a night at hassle green and a welcome few pints in the romping donkey.

Next morning (sunday) up at 5am determined to get a good start. Turned key and nothing again. Hand Cranked a few times and cold engine wasnt havin any and I was F***ed. Tried the key again and the bloody thing started. Not a loose wire or dirty connection to be seen. Raced up heart brake hill without a sweat through the harecastle without havin to pull in and wait and back in the marina for 12.30pm. Back to preston brook to pick up the other car and home for 4pm.

Wot a bloody weekend. Brilliant!!!!!!!!!

Why do you want to hold the boat back when going uphill??

Tim

Yeah can't understand that? Let the boat rest it's bow fender on the top gate, no need to hold it back then.

Obviously keep a constant check to see whether anything gets caught up.

Yeah can't understand that? Let the boat rest it's bow fender on the top gate, no need to hold it back then.

I can understand the need to keep back from the cill with a plastic cruiser, but not with a steel nb.

Tim

Bit new to this. Is it the normal practice to rest the bow against the front gate when going up in locks then??? I was keeping towards the back and trying to stop it surging forwards and crashing into the front gate. Take it I still have a lot to learn.

Edited by Maverick

When locking I work to the principal

Back up, ( making sure rudder does not catch in the gates) forward down (ensuring fender does not catch on gates)

Reason keeps the boat away from the cill.

Difficult to stop a boat moving/surging in a lock just get the crew to slow the rate that they open the paddles.

It is the initial opening of the paddles that cause the greatest effect (my opinion) so only partly open till boat/water settle then open paddles fully but slowly.

My crew (better half) never opens a paddle fully immediately but always watches the boat and controls it with partial opening, the paddles are only fully open for the last bit.

The force that water enters a lock is always greater in the beginning because of the greater difference in levels

The 'crew' are the ones that have most effect on a boat in a lock, they can make it difficult or easy for the 'steerer'.