Recommendation for built in gas oven and separate hob

Dr Bob

Featured Posts

Another question on a 2004 narrowboat we are about to buy. We are planning to refit the kitchen so SWMBO is looking for a good gas oven. I've done a good search on here (and the rest of the web) but not finding many recommendations. On this forum, I saw the following:

"Finding the right LPG cooker for a boat usually turns out to be a whole lot harder than you would initially think, once flame supervision of the rings and grill are considered, along with the reduced front to back dimension needed in most canal boats.". I think that was MTB, apologies if I got that wrong!

A previous thread

http://canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/topic/87347-thetford-oven-slow-to-heat/#comment-1886224

seems to be typical of comments on units built for boats. Our previous sailing yacht had a plastimo oven that was the worst £400 ever spent.

So can anyone recommend a good oven? I've not discussed the detail of the refit yet with the refitters so dont really know what the limits on size are going to be - I guess they will be using 'off the shelf' units. It would be good to get some input on 'good ovens' before I go back to them.

SWMBO also liked a 3 'in line' gas hob we saw on one of the boats we looked at but didnt get the make and cant find one on the net. Anyone seen something similar?

3 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Possibly look at household cookers and re-jet if required? 

Yes, I guess that is the way to go but keen to hear what others have chosen. As per my original post, the quote I used seems to suggest it is not easy to find one. Has anyone out there been successful in finding a 'good' oven from what you can find in Currys etc.

SWMBO has even been talking this evening about not putting an oven in, as we use a 'One Pot' a lot in the house and this would work well on the boat. Making bread or cakes is likely to be the challenge and there may be other 'non oven' ways of doing this. I did a bit more searching here this evening and found virtually no recommendations on good built in cookers. One option is to re-fit the kitchen but retain the rather tatty looking old built in oven but that may spoil the look.

There must be someone out there who thinks their gas oven is great................? .....or not?

8 hours ago, WotEver said:

Why don't you contact ao.com, tell them your requirements (400 deep), and see what they come up with?

They also have a subsidiary which sells slightly marked units at a substantial discount on eBay - some of which have the teeniest bit of damage.

As I've seen on here, often the depth of a cooker can be a challenge - 600mm + on a NB doesn't work well.

9 hours ago, WotEver said:

Why don't you contact ao.com, tell them your requirements (400 deep), and see what they come up with?

WotEver, thanks for that. I thought they only did electrical stuff. Quite surprised they have a good range of gas cookers. I also found a load of FFD/LPG cookers on the Calor site. More reading to do.

54 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

As I've seen on here, often the depth of a cooker can be a challenge - 600mm + on a NB doesn't work well.

Ah...that's the info I need. I do need to talk to the guy who is doing the refit but wanted to appear knowledgeable when I did - hence the reason for posting here! All the cookers seem to be 600mm deep. I guess the refit kitchen will included pre-made units of 'typical' boat size so we need a cooker to fit that.

I have a suggestion. Its a bit weird mind you so bear with me ....

Why not use the cooker thats already there ? Its works i assume & it seems to have been acceptable since 2004 .

Sounds like a lot of hassle to me to change a functioning oven because it isnt pretty enough . 

11 minutes ago, chubby said:

I have a suggestion. Its a bit weird mind you so bear with me ....

Why not use the cooker thats already there ? Its works i assume & it seems to have been acceptable since 2004 .

Sounds like a lot of hassle to me to change a functioning oven because it isnt pretty enough . 

No, I fully accept what you are saying. In a previous post up the page I did say something similar viz

"but retain the rather tatty looking old built in oven but that may spoil the look"

The issue with this option is SWMBO - "I really like this boat and want to buy it but we must have a new kitchen". So to go with all the boaty analogies, I dont want to 'rock the boat' and better to 'go with the flow'. Do Narrowboats rock? Retaining the old oven may be a battle I will never win :(

It isn't hard to find ovens for boats, why would anyone think that?  Just go to a decent sized chandler and they will have a selection.  Why does it need to be 400mm deep?  Have you actually measured the space, and why would it matter if you are re-fitting the kitchen

Just buy a Thetford Prima and stop stressing about minor details.

Same goes for your other thread.  The boat already has a good quality 2k inverter.  Who in their right mind would need 4kw of inverter power on a narrowboat?

28 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Ah...that's the info I need. I do need to talk to the guy who is doing the refit but wanted to appear knowledgeable when I did - hence the reason for posting here! All the cookers seem to be 600mm deep. I guess the refit kitchen will included pre-made units of 'typical' boat size so we need a cooker to fit that.

Good - perhaps I'm being of some help after all. There is a thread on here somewhere where toe OP was looking for a 500mm cooker and had no / little luck. We have a Fiesta (small domestic cooker) 'cos that's all folks demanded in those days. It's 600mm + deep - so I designed the kitchen on that basis (600mm one side and IIRC 500 on t'other).  Separate units just weren't available, so my comments may not be appropriate, but as domestic kitchens are made on a 600mm module nowadays a slimmer item may not exist.

Another potential challenge is that above the gunnel the cabin sides are narrower and slope inwards, further restricting the depth available. If your kitchen is L-shaped, then it's less of a challenge but if it's along the length then you have more of a challenge. Depends on the layout.

A quick comment. You seem to be mixing up your terminology. A 'cooker' is a freestanding appliance with (usually) four rings, a grill and an oven (or two). An 'oven' is usually taken to mean an under-worktop 'oven-only' appliance which needs to be permanently fixed into a purpose-made kitchen unit. 

16 minutes ago, lulu fish said:

It isn't hard to find ovens for boats, why would anyone think that?  Just go to a decent sized chandler and they will have a selection.  Why does it need to be 400mm deep?  Have you actually measured the space, and why would it matter if you are re-fitting the kitchen

Same goes for your other thread.  The boat already has a good quality 2k inverter.  Who in their right mind would need 4kw of inverter power on a narrowboat?

Try to be reasonable please 

Dr Bob is clearly not in charge of proceedings......

Eta : That link above looks like a smart oven . But it will it match the nespresso machine hmmm ...

Edited by chubby

20 minutes ago, lulu fish said:

I am a bit sceptical about spending £300-£500 on an oven that doesnt work  (having first hand experience of a Pastimo one). Reading the comment by Chewbacka (in the thread I link to in my OP) which says:

My Thetford Caprice heats the top shelf fairly quickly, the middle seems to take forever and the very bottom never really gets hot.

I wouldn't buy another one.

doesn't fill me with confidence about Thetford - but that may be just a one off - hence my post. I think it is a perfectly natural question to ask what is a good oven to buy. Your link below on the Theford Prima looks good. How well does it work and is it worth buying?

On the other thread, I was asking if a 2KW invertor is enough. I never said I wanted 4KW. I think the 2KW question has been answered which was the point of the question.

27 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

A quick comment. You seem to be mixing up your terminology. A 'cooker' is a freestanding appliance with (usually) four rings, a grill and an oven (or two). An 'oven' is usually taken to mean an under-worktop 'oven-only' appliance which needs to be permanently fixed into a purpose-made kitchen unit. 

Ooops, aplogies. Defo an Oven we are thinking about.