I want a new engine installed on my boat

BoatNoob

Featured Posts

Boatnoob, I don't know much about engines but there are people on this forum who do, and you need to listen to them. If I owned a boat and had engine problems, I'd definitely want to be very sure that the engine needed replacing and that the replacement engine was going to work before spending many thousands on it, that's just common sense. And given that your engine is now running, you really shouldn't even be thinking about replacement any more.

As to the batteries, again my knowledge is limited but I do agree with the others that it sounds as if your new batteries have suffered over the winter from taking power out without putting much back. There are various things you can do to achieve a better balance; one is to cut your electricity use especially in winter, e.g. by doing without a fridge in the colder months (or getting a gas fridge), using daylight to save on lighting (use LED lights of course) and by banning anything that need lots of power.

Also, you might want to invest in solar panels which are really helpful in summer (but only slightly in winter), and now that your engine works you might want to use it to explore the thousands of miles of waterways available to you, which will help keep the batteries charged.

Is your boat really called "Soon to be", or are you waiting until an appropriate name occurs to you?

On 18/03/2017 at 18:58, BoatNoob said:

The baterries are new (from december) and I meant RCR. I have talked to other boaters and I hear plenty of negative stories. Is is worth having a membership with them?

RCR have so far paid two grand towards my gearbox problems as well as replacing my starter, so I have an affection for them. That being said, their engineers did walk away and left me stranded on two other occasions, so you can make your own mind up! They are great at what they understand, and Listers are one thing they don't. I suspect they'd be fine with a modern engine.