Boat fire Rode Heath

GoodGurl

Featured Posts

6 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Just out of interest, is this crowd funding instead of an insurance claim, or as well as?

i have no idea it was set up by the RCTA all her items are handmade

Just now, mross said:

I am not the only one who is cynical about these 'go fund me appeals'.  You can never get your money back.  I

i'm only trying to help them get back on their feet as they are now homeless and wouldn't wish this on anyone.

• Greenie 1

I think these funding campaigns are OK - they will be supported by those who know them mostly, I suspect. And a target of 750 is not exactly excessive . Insurance is fine when it pays out, but as they were traders it's stock gone too, and the wherewithal to make new. All very sad.

In this case they are not looking for silly sums of money, it looks just enough to make the next couple of weeks better, they were only asking £500 and that has been topped, A bit like having a whip round for a mat when you are at work.

• Greenie 1

These are lovely people and a very nice boat too, in fact its one of the few boats I would like to own. Roving traders have to have additional insurance for public liability but its not economic to get insurance to cover the stock, and as all their stuff is hand made on the boat it can't really be insured anyway. I think the fund raising is really just aimed at other roving traders, but feel free to contribute, these people are most certainly not scroungers.

...............Dave

1 hour ago, mross said:

I am not the only one who is cynical about these 'go fund me appeals'.  You can never get your money back.  I

No, you aren't. I have a house and a business, and both are insured against foreseeable perils including fire, flood, and disruption of business . I made no comment about the victims in this particular case but I can still see no reason why operating a home and a business on a boat should be any different from doing so on dry land.

55 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

>> they were only asking £500 and that has been topped, A bit like having a whip round for a mate when you are at work.

Is that 500 mates at a pound each, or 50 at a tenner? Some whip-round!

A possible bigger problem is that the insurers will probably declare Hazel a total loss and offer compensation based on their valuation of a "slightly rough at the edges old tub" rather than the very unusual and lovely boat that she is. How many boaters actually have agreed value insurance?

Its rare to come out on top from an insurance claim.

................Dave

1 hour ago, Machpoint005 said:

No, you aren't. I have a house and a business, and both are insured against foreseeable perils including fire, flood, and disruption of business . I made no comment about the victims in this particular case but I can still see no reason why operating a home and a business on a boat should be any different from doing so on dry land.

so so sad nicky has just said this :(

Thanks everyone very very much appreciated you've all been so so kind ...
She will probably not be salvageable :( we'll just have to see what quotes we can get for a total refit & rebuild of the JP2 & boatman's cabin & engine room ...
If anyone's around & can help with quotes this would be very much appreciated. ..

Thanks again xXx

What a horrible thing to happen, hope they manage to get sorted without too much hassle, and wishing them good fortune for the future.

Edited by Guest
Typo

On 02/03/2017 at 18:50, Machpoint005 said:

Yes, but they didn't ask for the whip round as far as I can see.  It was started by their friends and fellow traders. It aint compulsory...

• Greenie 2