New boat questions. Plumbing.

Jason Pay

Featured Posts

Anyway, putting metamorphic boats aside for a moment, my suggestion would be to not depart too far from normal boat practice. If you tailor you boat specifically to your present circumstances, you may regret it later. I doubt you have any security of tenure on this  mooring and even if the landlord isn't going to change their attitude, your needs might change and you might want to move or sell the boat.

So normally you will have a water tank and pump. Then you just have a choice between an instant water heater, which has to be gas not electric for the reasons mentioned earlier. Or a hot water storage tank aka a calorifier, which can typically be heated by up to 3 sources, ie electric immersion element (1kw is adequate), the engine's cooling system and the system that heats the radiators (gas, diesel or solid fuel back boiler). Calor gas is fairly expensive, diesel heaters not that reliable or very expensive to install, so the cheapest solution is likely to be shore power electricity via the immersion heater. These are always thermostatically controlled so can just be left permanent switched on and you will always have a tank full of hot water (if you are on shore power).

• Greenie 1

23 hours ago, mross said:

OP said it was 10'

Dude -Mross!
Pretty pedantic, once I asked a question about a narrower boat which isn't this one. 
Congratulations... I said it was 10' because it's 10'.
Thanks Rusty you'r right... simple isnt it

Edited by Jason Pay

4 minutes ago, Jason Pay said:

Dude -Mross!
Pretty pedantic, once I asked a question about a narrower boat which isn't this one. 
Congratulations... I said it was 10' because it's 10'.
Thanks Rusty you'r right... simple isnt it

my mistake.  I thought my link would have been interesting.  No need to get snotty.

On 2/28/2017 at 16:50, mross said:

my mistake.  I thought my link would have been interesting.  No need to get snotty.

Thanks for admitting your mistake, 
There is no link, 
Not getting snotty just don't see the relevance. 
Thanks for your help. 

As with Forums there's strange positions... never nice or useful.

9 minutes ago, Jason Pay said:

Thanks for admitting your mistake, 
There is no link, 
Not getting snotty just don't see the relevance. 
Thanks for your help. 

As with Forums there's strange positions... never nice or useful.

I am surprised you haven't found some of the comments in this thread useful as they have proably saved you some money.

3 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I am surprised you haven't found some of the comments in this thread useful as they have proably saved you some money.

Some comments have been great, I appreciate that help, I have also asked similar questions elsewhere and the response didn't get pedantic about boat size... Just saying. 

On 2/27/2017 at 17:15, rusty69 said:

Could it be a different boat? OP says they have/had two. Not sure it matters either way though!

It doesn't matter! Which is exactly my point. You're right. 

Edited by Jason Pay

11 minutes ago, mross said:

Me, the boat, the forum or the OP?:D

Not you, anyway!

7 minutes ago, Jason Pay said:

I have also asked similar questions elsewhere and the response didn't get pedantic about boat size... Just saying. 

Probably best to stick with those other places to ask questions then.

Edited by nicknorman
  • Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, Jason Pay said:

Some comments have been great, I appreciate that help, I have also asked similar questions elsewhere and the response didn't get pedantic about boat size... Just saying. 

It doesn't matter! Which is exactly my point. You're right. 

I understand your point, I just think you could have worded it better. If I recal it was mross that pointed out to you in the first place the unsuitabillity of the water heater you linked to.

Edited by rusty69

Jason, you were upset, I apologised. You accepted my apology. Can't we just move on?  It's very hard to post on a forum and to get the tone right every time.  I saved you from buying a heater that would not have worked for you.  Did you get any technical advice on another forum?  In my experience it is better to reflect when someone annoys you, wait a day before responding.  Most of us are not being spiteful or sarcastic or pedantic even if it reads that way initially.  When I do follow my own advice, I find that other people chip in and say, oh, that was a bit rude' or ' hey OP, he did not mean it that way'.  If my replies are cheeky or ironic I normally put a smiley in my post.

24 minutes ago, mross said:

Jason, you were upset, I apologised. You accepted my apology. Can't we just move on?  It's very hard to post on a forum and to get the tone right every time.  I saved you from buying a heater that would not have worked for you.  Did you get any technical advice on another forum?  In my experience it is better to reflect when someone annoys you, wait a day before responding.  Most of us are not being spiteful or sarcastic or pedantic even if it reads that way initially.  When I do follow my own advice, I find that other people chip in and say, oh, that was a bit rude' or ' hey OP, he did not mean it that way'.  If my replies are cheeky or ironic I normally put a smiley in my post.

All very rational and commendably conciliatory. However he pissed me off because I spent some time composing what I considered to be a helpful post, but when he finally came back to the forum he only ranted about the timerity you had to suggest there was only one boat when in fact there were two, and ignored my effort. People for whom being offended about trivia and being sure to let you know about it, is the most important thing, and who consider they have a god given right to expect to receive help without giving anything back, even courtesy, are not worth bothering with. Let them stew in their ill-designed plumbing, I say.

• Greenie 1