Accumulator and Water pump annoyance

chubby

Featured Posts

Good Morning . 

Can i ask for some assistance please with an issue that has become annoying please ? 

My water pump runs and runs and will not stop unless i switch it off at the wall . Im flat out busy and have been unable to fix the issue but have decided today i must tackle as its beginning to really annoy me . 

The pump is a Jabsco par max 2.9 . It was fitted last year around June after the old one failed and began to leak . The old system worked fine up until the pump failed . The Par Max 2.9 according to ASAP website ( cant make head nor tail of jabsco s and theres nowt in the manual , just simple installation diagrams ) it has a cut in pressure of 15 psi & a cut out of 25psi . 

I have done the following : 

Stopcock off , pump switched off , taps open  Adjust accumulator to 13 psi ( 2 below cut in ) . Adjust Expansion tank to 27/28 psi ( above cut out ) .

Once set as above , stopcock open , switch on pump , water comes out of taps . Turn off taps . 

Is this correct please ? If so , it isnt working . The pump just runs and runs ( ive left it for 2 mins max ) until i switch it off again .

I read previous threads on this and none seem to help me . I also read that this pump doesn t need an accumulator and so i re plumbed the pump to bypass the accumulator . It made no difference whatsoever . Unless the pumps 12v feed is cut off the pump will just run and run indefinately . The pump is less than a year old , the accumulator i would expect to be as old as the boat , 16 years .

Any advice please as its got personal and i must fix the problem !!

Many thanks 

When the taps are closed and the pump runs does it sound like it's struggling? Like it's trying to pump against pressure?

If not, are you sure there's no leak?

PRV leaking? Lots of water in the bilge?

If yes, then it could be a faulty pressure switch. 

Edited by WotEver
Formatting

7 minutes ago, WotEver said:

When the taps are closed and the pump runs does it sound like it's struggling? Like it's trying to pump against pressure?

If i run the pump with taps closed it all sounds " healthy " . The pump doesn t sound like its struggling . It just runs at a certain chatter until i open a tap , at which point the noise level increases . 

Cant believe how quick the replies were -  thankyou chaps 

13 minutes ago, mross said:

Can you dismantle and clean the pressure switch on the front?  Maybe the little hole is blocked?

Hmmmm

Im reluctant to tamper with it , but will do so if needed .

Was my method of accumulator / EV set up correct with regards to the pressures i set ? I thought once set as such the system would be fine 

cheers again

Ive checked the rear cabin bilge . Dry as a   bone . No sign of water exiting the calorifier PRV neither . No sign of leaks beneath kitchen units nor in bathroom 

cheers 

Edited by chubby
additional info

27 minutes ago, WotEver said:

PRV could be discharging overboard?

9 minutes ago, chubby said:

Further info , no idea of its relevance . 

With the pump running the accumulator pressure went up to 20 psi 

Went up to? Is this with no taps being opened?

20 psi doesn't sound high enough for the pressure switch to turn off the pump.

Thanks again for  the replies folks . 

Weird things happening here . To explain . 

I set accumulator pressure to 13 Psi . My understanding is the pump cut in pressure is 15 psi / cut out 25psi ( as i say the manual has no reference to these numbers . They come from ASAP supplies website . )

I thought that this set up was correct : ie - accumulator just below cut in , EV just above cut out . 

i just tried the system again . So , with taps off and pump running i checked the accumulator pressure . It read 20 psi . I have not pumped it beyond 13 psi . Thenni turned a tap , water came out . I turned off the tap and after about 20- 30 seconds the pump stopped as one might expect . 

Happy days ? No 

I repeated the procedure . Tap on , out comes water , tap off . Then pump runs and runs and i switched it off after 60 seconds . 

Annoying

cheers

eta  : pump model is as MRoss suggests -31595 0292

Edited by chubby

A question folks . 

The filter just befor the pump has a removable casing in order to remove the gauze within . i have been unable to open the casing for some 18 months or so . Its stuck solid and i cannot get it open . If its accumulated debris would this affect the pumps ability to function correctly ? 

Im thinking it would do as the pump needs to make more effort the draw water through the filter ? 

cheers again 

MRoss Sir . The model you referred to is correct : 31395 0292

Edited by chubby

If all was ok before the new pump was fitted, and you seem to have done everything right, it sounds like a faulty pump from new. For the sake of the cost of another new pump, I'd probably buy one and try. If the new new pump works I might try and get the money back for the old new pump, (or I might open it up and try to fix it).

One thought I'm having is why/how did the previous pump fail?

2 minutes ago, Giant said:

It's probably worth replacing that filter casing anyway, as you need to be able to open it to clean out if it gets gunked up. Once done you can then see if it solves the probem before spending time/money on the pump.

Best advice so far today :)

Also, was the previous pump the same model? If you've not thrown it out and the only problem was it leaking, it's fairly easy to strip it down, clean up the gaskets and reseal. We have the same pump and had to do this a year or two ago, no problems since.

9 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

If all was ok before the new pump was fitted, and you seem to have done everything right, it sounds like a faulty pump from new. For the sake of the cost of another new pump, I'd probably buy one and try. If the new new pump works I might try and get the money back for the old new pump, (or I might open it up and try to fix it).

One thought I'm having is why/how did the previous pump fail?

Cheers , 

When i bought the boat 4 years ago it all worked fine . Within a year the pump began leaking so i pulled it apart and siliconed the joints and when put back together all was fine . Until last summer . I thought , to hell with it i ll buy a new one . It been a PITA since but due to being very busy & distracted by some very difficult studies ive been unable to give too much attention to the problem . This morning tho i decided to sieze the day thinking id just have to adjust some pressures with a bike pump . 

Im thinking of removing and replacing the filter housing as im not able to remove the internal filter as its jammed shut 

cheers again folks 

ETA : 

Just seen the replies above , thanks again . Im off to get a replacement filter . The old pump was a shurflo and as i d already done one bodge job repair which worked well for several years i decided to just buy a new one instead ..... thats gotta be easier innit ....... ? Hmmmm 

cheers 

Edited by chubby