Your Experience Please... East or West of London for a Christmas Break?

FlyBoySee

Featured Posts

Hi All

This is my first post and I am appealing to those of you who have been cruising for longer than me to give some advice.

I live on a beautiful 60ft narrowboat called Victoria.

My daughter, a veritable outdoors person, will be with me from the 23rd of December until the 5th of January. I am in Little Venice right now and want to travel either East as far as Hertford Castle, or travel West past Uxbridge into the Colne Valley, and perhaps as far as Ricky.

I am trying to decide which route will give us the best outdoors, nature and historic experience and which of the two options will be most enjoyable given our criteria for what we enjoy.

I have been into the Colne Valley (near where there are lakes on both sides) and it was quite lovely, tranquil and peaceful, but a part of me is thinking that taking the Lea up to Hertford could also be nice. I believe there are some hidden waterfalls in the Colne near the deep lock where there is a tea room cum bookshop at the lock??

Can you give me some advice based on your experience or point me to links of any blogs that might have covered these routes.

As far as stoppages go we are safe in both directions until the 9th of Jan I think (for Kings Cross) and East the stoppage after Kensal will open tomorrow (20th December). If you know of any others so please let me know :)

Looking very forward to your replies.

Many Thanks

RR

I've been on the canal up to Bishop's Stortford and it was very pleasant. Hertford is also a nice if unremarkable town. A warning - you could be standing right in front of "Hertford Castle" and not see it, as it is just a large pile of earth in the middle of town. If you know or read up on Norman motte & bailey castles, it is probably a fascinating site, but not for the casual visitor. An impressive medieval gatehouse still survives and is used for weddings and events. The site has a modern theatre / indie cinema / cafe and there may be something on there that you can visit.

Go west young man!

As an ex-LV moorer, I always enjoyed the rapid transition from town to countryside going westwards and the pleasure of cruising for miles without locks.

Tring summit is beautiful if you had the time.

Have a great Christmas and let us know which you choose.

Hi All

This is my first post and I am appealing to those of you who have been cruising for longer than me to give some advice.

I live on a beautiful 60ft narrowboat called Victoria.

My daughter, a veritable outdoors person, will be with me from the 23rd of December until the 5th of January. I am in Little Venice right now and want to travel either East as far as Hertford Castle, or travel West past Uxbridge into the Colne Valley, and perhaps as far as Ricky.

I am trying to decide which route will give us the best outdoors, nature and historic experience and which of the two options will be most enjoyable given our criteria for what we enjoy.

I have been into the Colne Valley (near where there are lakes on both sides) and it was quite lovely, tranquil and peaceful, but a part of me is thinking that taking the Lea up to Hertford could also be nice. I believe there are some hidden waterfalls in the Colne near the deep lock where there is a tea room cum bookshop at the lock??

Can you give me some advice based on your experience or point me to links of any blogs that might have covered these routes.

As far as stoppages go we are safe in both directions until the 9th of Jan I think (for Kings Cross) and East the stoppage after Kensal will open tomorrow (20th December). If you know of any others so please let me know smile.png

Looking very forward to your replies.

Many Thanks

RR

There is a stoppage on the Lea at Tottenham, but a friend was let through on his coal boat after a 30 min. wait. You'll need to check this one with CRT.

Go west young man!

As an ex-LV moorer, I always enjoyed the rapid transition from town to countryside going westwards and the pleasure of cruising for miles without locks.

Tring summit is beautiful if you had the time.

Have a great Christmas and let us know which you choose.

I agree, West.

Once you get to Alperton views etc improve, before that, "yak". (a personal opinion)

The OP also needs to remember that the frequency of locks after Rickmansworth increases significantly. He might also want to consider the pubs. One or two that get good write ups in Nickelsons are ***p. but that's another topic.

Frank

I have done both a number of times. Both are nice. If I had to make a call, I would probably say go east up the Lee and the Stort.

Of course you could also do Brentford, Teddington, Kingston, Hampton Court... Far more variety on that route. Return via Limehouse and you have an epic!

Edited by WJM