Boat Mooring price

doosht

Featured Posts

Hi, were fairly new to boating and just wanted some help from you helpful people please.

Weve got a 54ft boat with residental mooring in the midlands. The site is pretty poor but it does have

electric.

Our rental per quarter has just seen quite a steep rise and i just wanted to know what is ROUGHLY the going rate

just so we know if were being fleeced or not.

Hope you can help

J

bw site or waterscape has the full rates for moorings across the country.

sorry i cant put the link up.

waterscape=go boating =mooring info -its there somewhere

Edited by gaggle

bw site or waterscape has the full rates for moorings across the country.

sorry i cant put the link up.

waterscape=go boating =mooring info -its there somewhere

I cant seem to find our site but were now paying £391 a quarter for residental mooring. As i said... the site is poor but it does have electricity.

I only have a rough idea on the range of charges and there are a number of factors to take into consideration but about £1600 per annum that you are paying sounds about right. My marina costs more than that

Charles

I cant seem to find our site but were now paying £391 a quarter for residental mooring. As i said... the site is poor but it does have electricity.

Genuine "residential" moorings are quite hard to come by and therefore should command a premium. I pay almost as much as you for a non-residential on-line mooring with no facilities other than car parking and rubbish disposal - but it is in a very pleasant rural location.

Edited by Jim

Quite a few yards around the GU/Oxford canals seem to be charging in that region when I enquired at a few last year. Mind you, one at Napton quoted £2k!!! Went down Hatton with a boat from BCN and they pay £650 per year for secured site (mind you they say there is a very big waiting list)

Try moving down south our non-residential mooring on the K&A costs over £2000 a year for a sixty foot boat. Mind you it is a great site. It's all about supply and demand. We have a couple of liveaboards and they would love to pay your prices.

Ken

Hi, were fairly new to boating and just wanted some help from you helpful people please.

Weve got a 54ft boat with residental mooring in the midlands. The site is pretty poor but it does have

electric.

Our rental per quarter has just seen quite a steep rise and i just wanted to know what is ROUGHLY the going rate

just so we know if were being fleeced or not.

Hope you can help

J

I have a 50' boat on a BW mooring ( not technically residential ) in a city cenntre in the north west - no electrical or water supply, no security, lighting, but a disposal point and a tap nearby.

That's around £1000p.a.

Hope that helps a bit.

Edited by Moondaisy

• 2 weeks later...

to moor my 40foot boat on a resi mooring at milton keynes was 1200 every 6 months inc vat.. the site wasnt that great, car park was a 4 min walk, electric was limited at 4amps, condition of walk way wasnt great. sounds like i was getting fleased

to moor my 40foot boat on a resi mooring at milton keynes was 1200 every 6 months inc vat.. the site wasnt that great, car park was a 4 min walk, electric was limited at 4amps, condition of walk way wasnt great. sounds like i was getting fleased

No that's about right for a resi mooring in this area. I know that mooring well, I used to be there non-resi until he claimed to have forgotten to charge VAT and put the price up 17.5%. Then he did the same again the next year. And again for a 3rd year! Made over 50% increase in 3 years.

You'd be horrified if you saw the price further south (£4k5 pa at Apsley for example).

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't think your mooring was too bad mate, but hey, I only spent a night on it! It was secure and within easy reach of the canals. that 4 amp limit is a bit rubbish tho'. You'll be popping your breaker everytime you boil the kettle.

I pay £700 a quarter for mine on the Thames, there's no parking but if the trust you they'll let you play 32 whole amps of her majesty's finest. The only problem I've got with mine is, it's a working boatyard too and the owner is there every day. I can't remember the last time I rented a flat and saw the land lord 5-6 times a week! :)

Edited by warlock

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hiya. Just interested because my mooring has gone up again in the last few weeks.

I started in Jan 06 at a mooring "down south" (Non residential, on-line, good walkways, parking, good security, water and friendly owners) paying £6 per foot per quarter. It went to £7 pfpq and now this year has gone to £8 pfpq. Quite a hike of £464 per year ! The total annual price is £1856 and electricity charges on top.

Hope it helps. :-)

• 1 month later...

I am just in the process of buying a boat, and the vendor tells me that the mooring owner is willing to make the mooring available too. It seems very cheap :smiley_offtopic: so I wonder if I'm missing something.

It's a private mooring, but online on the non-towpath side. Is the only fee paid to the owner of the mooring, or is something payable to BW? I've read the documents on the Waterscape site, but they don't seem to refer to this situation.

I would appreciate anyones thoughts, or even better, experiences.

Thanks

Paul

Hi Paul

Check with the actual mooring owner, whether he is willing to transfer, offside moorings still have to approved by BW, there is a charge payable to BW but I believe it is usually paid by the mooring owner (of course he will pass that on to you in the fee he charges).

Thanks Keith

The vendor has told me that the mooring owner is willing to transfer the mooring - the next step is for me to speak direct with the mooring owner.

It just seems very cheap (admittedly with no services other than a tap and elsan disposal - but what else do you need?), so I want to be sure I'm not going to get stung by a bigger bill from BW! Guess I should give them a call to make sure.

Paul

Thanks Keith

The vendor has told me that the mooring owner is willing to transfer the mooring - the next step is for me to speak direct with the mooring owner.

It just seems very cheap (admittedly with no services other than a tap and elsan disposal - but what else do you need?), so I want to be sure I'm not going to get stung by a bigger bill from BW! Guess I should give them a call to make sure.

Paul

Good advice, check what type of mooring it is. Is it an end of garden (unlikely) or farmers field? Both are likely to be subject to BW permit regs. If they aren't then you won't have to get your mooring cleared with BW. If you are not sure either call the main office for the waterway region in which are you based or if you don't know who or where you are just call the BW customer service peeps on 01923 201120 and they will sort for you/ D

I and

Sounds very cheap to me especially if it is a 'true' residential moring. I and many peope I know pay more than that for non-residential moorings.

At the other end of the scale there are residential moorings in Central London that cost over £7.000 a year!

Tim