Breadmakers

Chris J W

Featured Posts

One more point. Although it seems it will be ok to use a breadmaker overnight, nobody has mentioned the capacity of their battery bank so far. I've assumed that 400-440AH is a typical size, but I've just seen a post on another thread that suggests that 330AH is more usual.

It should still be possible to do it with only 330AH but it would be even more important to make sure that the batteries are charged fully before and after, and that there isn't anything else (except perhaps a fridge) drawing much power at the same time.

Our 'breadmaker' runs on the occasional 'half of lager' and doesn't drain the batteries at all . . .

:cheers:

When I first saw this thread I took it to be a joke or at least a bit of irony.

Are there really people out there who think it a sensible idea to use an electric bread maker on a narrowboat.

................ obviously there are :captain:;)

:cheers: PS: has anybody tried a fixed model railway layout on a narrowboat?

When I first saw this thread I took it to be a joke or at least a bit of irony.

Are there really people out there who think it a sensible idea to use an electric bread maker on a narrowboat.

Ok. I'll bite.

Why a joke? I've had some perfectly reasonable answers to, what seems to me, a perfectly reasonable question.

Ok. I'll bite.

Why a joke? I've had some perfectly reasonable answers to, what seems to me, a perfectly reasonable question.

I tried it last night after having read this thread. My Panasonic SD252 breadmaker, on the quickest setting, used 1.65kWh. So that would be about 150 Ahrs from a 12 volt battery bank after inverter losses, volt drop etc.

So it's doable, but not particularly clever. But if you do it whilst cruising, and the charging system is up to scratch it's probably quite workable.

A quick google turned up a few with quite a lot less power consumption.

Gibbo

I tried it last night after having read this thread. My Panasonic SD252 breadmaker, on the quickest setting, used 1.65kWh. So that would be about 150 Ahrs from a 12 volt battery bank after inverter losses, volt drop etc.

So it's doable, but not particularly clever. But if you do it whilst cruising, and the charging system is up to scratch it's probably quite workable.

A quick google turned up a few with quite a lot less power consumption.

Gibbo

Cheers!

As I said in the OP, it'd be only now and then I'd consider running on timer for overnight use, so that's a definite "it works" in my book.

SNIP>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>...

Yes, I think my 7Kw generator may just be able to cope :cheers:

bread makers, microwaves, electric carving knives, automatic potato peelers, coffee makers, sandwich toasters, popcorn makers, electric can openers...

none of these should be found on a boat. they are all part of a consumerist society making us fill our already small homes with more stuff we dont actually need.

bread is easy to make, I call my boyfriend (he finishes work before me) say to him, will you make some bread tonight... i get home and et voila... its in the bowl risen and ready to bake.

it tastes 100 times better than any pizza base you buy pre made in the shops too.

hes good at crepes too... maybe i should rent him out. he doesnt take up more space than a standard household appliance, hes quite small and compact. onnly requires the occasional pastis/ricard to keep him happy

Edited by honey ryder

bread makers, microwaves, electric carving knives, automatic potato peelers, coffee makers, sandwich toasters, popcorn makers, electric can openers...

none of these should be found on a boat. they are all part of a consumerist society making us fill our already small homes with more stuff we dont actually need.

What a wonderfully perfect, mildly condescending life you must lead.

What a wonderfully perfect, mildly condescending life you must lead.

I dont think its condescending to state in my own opinion that people are better off without electrical kitchen gadgets filling the practical space of a perfectly good kitchen. boaters in particular have a short supply of space and electricity, so i cant see any point at all in having them, especially as they are usually used a few times at best then stored in a cupboard.

and yes, i am perfect, two arms, two legs 10 fingers and 10 toes.. just the way i was born.

( and dont go getting pernickety about having 2 thumbs... )

Edited by honey ryder

:unsure: PS: has anybody tried a fixed model railway layout on a narrowboat?

What a splendid idea! You could model the London Underground and have it running round the bilges!

The biggest worry would be derailing the lightweight stock when accidentally bumping the sides of lock chambers.

On second thoughts 5 inch gauge live steam would be much more fun . . .

:cheers:

Yes, I think my 7Kw generator may just be able to cope :cheers:

But how expensive will that make your bread? I had already calculated that on the figures produced so far I would have to run my generator for a couple of hours at 36p an hour - so that's 72p just for the power and another 80p or so for the ingredients - that puts the price over £1.50 for a loaf of bread, which in my experience, will mostly end up feeding the ducks and swans.

We rarely make more than a loaf a week (we also buy fresh from local bakers for much less than £1.50) and Jane seems to enjoy making it by hand a cooking it in the range - even if we use the gas oven it still works out a lot cheaper than using an electric bread maker . . .

• 2 months later...

That was my concern was it more economical to make bread using a gas oven or by electric machine. For laziness by machine appeals. as I can set it while going along, as opposed to salivating in front of the oven, fretting.

Then there is the space/fresh issue. One bread-maker equals fresh, shop brought bread equals stale.

A much as I would enjoy making it by hand. all that aggression I could work out the fact I'd fret about the gas all the while makes me lean toward the idea of purchasing of a bread maker.

That was my concern was it more economical to make bread using a gas oven or by electric machine. For laziness by machine appeals. as I can set it while going along, as opposed to salivating in front of the oven, fretting.

Then there is the space/fresh issue. One bread-maker equals fresh, shop brought bread equals stale.

A much as I would enjoy making it by hand. all that aggression I could work out the fact I'd fret about the gas all the while makes me lean toward the idea of purchasing of a bread maker.

I've just discovered the joys of part baked bread, keeps for ages in the packet and only takes 7 minutes to finish off in the oven, we had baguettes, poppy seed rolls and ciabatta, you get the fresh baked smell too...yummy!

I've not had the chance to find out yet! The design of my galley area, which looked fine when I got her, is proving to be a big of a bugger at times as there's hardly anyone work surface. (Yet another thing on The List Of Things To Do) Not tried hand-making it yet. Perhaps when the weather really turns bad and I can't face venturing outside ... it can prove on the stove!

B) PS: has anybody tried a fixed model railway layout on a narrowboat?

Yep my son had his train set (ok ok a 4 year old isn't ready for hornby oo but he loved watching me play) and it slid out from under his bunk like a plan chest drawer. Under that was his lego board and under that his drawing/playdoh board).

Now we're in the house his room is far less organised, but I'm working on a playroom in the loft.

Edited to say: I was at a trade exhibition in France (hanging around at the end for the freebies) and I was trying to skank a breadmaker off the appropriate rep. He gave me one but said, even as a freebie, it wasn't cost effective to make bread using the correct strong flour, compared with buying it from the supermarket. Sure enough he was right.

Edited by carlt