Veruca Salt's New/ Second Hand Fridge

cheshire~rose

Featured Posts

I am interested to know why,if the fridge has been in place for 20 years, you do not run it on gas which I am told is the best option. It was explained to me that this type of fridge was designed for caravans and motorhomes and was only ever meant to run on battery power when on the move and switch to gas when static.

I too have had years of use of fridges just like the old one and found them very good (in caravans and boats).

I hear and understand your regime has been "OK for 20 years" and if it aint broke then why fix it but, if you were faced with a completely empty shell of a cabin to fit out on Owl now would you be fitting that second hand fridge of unknown condition knowing it was impossible to use it on gas or would you be considering buying a new one?

It is exactly the same as the fridges we have had in older caravans in the past and I always found them to be pretty good too.

They are indeed only designed to run on 12V when the 'van is hooked up to a car and will cane the batteries pretty quickly. You are supposed to have a relay in the car so that they only draw 12V with the engine actually running and I have seen them flatten a single car battery in less than an hour in a car not so equipped (he forget to disconnect his electrics while parked up laugh.png ),

I would have loved the option of gas when we boated as they are silent when running and the noise from the 12V gubbins can be a PITA in the dead of night.

Sorry I did not make myself clear, but I did not say paying passengers, just passengers. who will take a (work) trip in the boat, so possibly not putting the boat into leisure class and so must then be considered not a private leisure boat.

It's ok, I have never considered the boat to be anything but a work boat. It is certainly not a leisure craft - previously it had a business licence but CRT wanted to re-categorise her when she went back in the water after re-bottoming.

It's true the crew do enjoy themselves when on board but it is very rarely leisurely!

As you have made up your mind you don't want (or can't have) a gas fridge this is probably irrelevant.

But just to correct one point, although these often have an external vent fitted, there is actually no requirement to have this.

Whilst our last boat had an external vent, Flamingo does not, and for the purpose of passing a BSS, this is absolutely fine.

If I had any qualms about the safety of a gas fridge, then I would not have one. However I have no such qualms if properly maintained.

They have had a good safety record for decades, (and for much of that time were largely standard in every hire boat). There are, of course, quite a few deaths on boats from carbon monoxide poising, but the causes all those I personally have ever heard reported have never been due to a gas fridge.

• Greenie 1

I would not go down the 240v & inverter route, that will still eat more battery juice than the 12v, and it's a precious commodity for python. It's an ok option in some circumstances but wouldn't really suit for python imo. If you did go gas, you know I would say add ventilation again. There could be the option of the steel paintable letterbox vents...more in keeping to look at, and once painted, are subtle but still a potential trip risk.(procast also do brass ones but I hesitate to recommend )

Have to stick with a 12v one in my mind. You could go for a smaller 12v one, you might find something cheaper then.

ETA, I had a 3 way van fridge once, ok on gas, but on 12v froze eveything. It could have just been that one, I don't know, it was my only experience of them.

Edited by Ally

Used to have one of those 3 way caravan fridges. On 12v they take 8amps continuous, the thermostat switch is not in circuit. It's an absorption type fridge that works by having a heater !(gas or electric) . It was useless on an old working boat with limited electrics and no gas. Don't go there.

Since got a shoreline, second hand. That is the same size as a domestic under counter model. It is brilliant- the internal temp is settable to suit the outside temp and it is well insulated. You can just hear it start up the compressor, the current draw is about 3.5amp but on quite a small duty cycle so the batteries have no problem keeping up with it .

No contest- Shoreline it is

Go for a 12 volt fridge, I changed from a gas fridge ( caravan electrolux type which was too small inside) a couple of years ago and keep mine running via a solar panel (130 watt)in the summer months.

I found this on eBay( less than £100) but have since seen slightly tired ones being changed at the local hire base and dry docks.

It may be worth asking around

As you have made up your mind you don't want (or can't have) a gas fridge this is probably irrelevant.

But just to correct one point, although these often have an external vent fitted, there is actually no requirement to have this.

Whilst our last boat had an external vent, Flamingo does not, and for the purpose of passing a BSS, this is absolutely fine.

If I had any qualms about the safety of a gas fridge, then I would not have one. However I have no such qualms if properly maintained.

They have had a good safety record for decades, (and for much of that time were largely standard in every hire boat). There are, of course, quite a few deaths on boats from carbon monoxide poising, but the causes all those I personally have ever heard reported have never been due to a gas fridge.

I was not aware that you do not need an external vent for one but as Ally mentions, if we were to go down that route we would have to consider additional ventilation and, in such a small cabin there are limited suitable places to site extra vents without causing ourselves problems.

I do not for one minute think that there is any safety problem with a well maintained gas fridge, I have already said that I have years of very good experience with them. They certainly have a lot of things going for them and I would not suggest that anyone who already has one that is working properly should even consider getting rid of it in favour of anything else.

We have wiring for 240v on board and, if Python is ever in a place where she can be hooked up to a bollard this can be used. We will have 12v charging for phones etc. We have no plans to fit an inverter yet. While the wiring will be in place so we can fit one later if required we do not see it as a priority and these things cost money.

We had already made the decision to go for 12v many months ago but with a new influx of volunteers involved in the fit out (with their heart in the right place) and the desire to try and save some money at the forefront of their mind we are revisiting some of the decisions.

I have always known I was going to have to do some fund raising for the fit out and I guess the discussion about bidding on a tired old fridge that I did not really want for Python just reminded me that I needed to get my ar*e into gear and get some money in the pot.

Thanks to the very generous members of this forum I now have £20 in the pot towards our new 12v fridge. That is very welcome thank you

If anyone else wants to chip in then here is the link again:

http://www.chesterfield-canal-trust.org.uk/index.php/home/home-353525/view/productdetails/virtuemart_product_id/18/virtuemart_category_id/5