12v tv - 1080p?

Johny London

Featured Posts

Due to power usage I have just replaced my 32" 240v LG tv with a 24" 12v cello and I'm very pleased with it. I have seen on this forum and elsewhere that some people find they have audio problems and end up fitting a sound bar. I find the audio perfectly ok and better than the LG.

The only problem is that even though it is 12v it doesn't come with a cigarette lighter power lead like the smaller TVs in the range. Not really a problem as I had a spare one on board; they are easy enough to make anyway.

I went for the one without a built in DVD player as most of my DVD's have been transferred to hard drive and I already have a 12v bluray player; also the non DVD unit uses less power

So far it seems a nice bit of kit

Hi

Can you provide details of the 12v blueray player as i would like one.

Thanks

I went for the one without a built in DVD player as most of my DVD's have been transferred to hard drive and I already have a 12v bluray player; also the non DVD unit uses less power

So far it seems a nice bit of kit

What interface/media box do you use to control the hard drive.

Save doing yet another edit - the Cello tv guy just phoned to say those have all been broken in transit so he's issuing a refund - something very fishy going on with the tvs on ebay - another I had been watching jumped from £139 to 400! Do they think we are blind as well as stupid!

It wasn't the 12v model anyway...

could be Christmas

could be a container ship from China in a storm

could be that the Germans and French have been offloading loads of 720 p TVs as they are going all HD and that supply has now ran out

or it could be Brexit

having said that small TVs in Carrefour at the moment are only just over 100 euros

Pearley - I know you were asking Bewildered, but fyi I use a little raspberry pi box with xbmc on it. It runs off 5v so can use a 12/5v converter - the only thing it can't really do is record tv (well technically it can but my goodness you have to put the hours in to get it to work and even then it's not reliable).

But I wonder - many modern tv's boast being able to read media files from hard drives - what are they like? Anyone know? xbmc gives you artworks and descriptions plus all sorts of other information for tv and films. And can play just about any type of file.

Bewildered - your Cello tv actually takes 12v? (not like 19v or something via a small box) is it 1080p? It sounds good if it is those things.

It'll be down to what format you rip your dvds to (and what the tv will accept) - I've done a bit of this in the past and I never find it particularly easy. An easier way would be to look for the titles you already own at a torrent site, then just download them as some kind person has already done all the conversion work.

I see Cello now have an Android based smart tv with all the bells and whistles?!

Like Johny London I use raspberry Pi's as my players (with OpenELEC / Kodi installed) I haven't used the Pi 3's yet.

At home the Pi is connected the network and can access 5tb of network storage and also has the exodus plugin installed which links into various online streaming sources (generally if you can name it I can have it playing in under a minute)

on the boat I have a 130gb ssd drive plugged into the Pi which I preload with unwatched stuff, this also has exodus installed and can tether from my phone if wanted (720p video tends to use 1gb every 30 minutes)

Hi

Can you provide details of the 12v blueray player as i would like one.

Thanks

It's Panasonic. I just went into PC World and looked at all the BluRays that had 12v power input.

It didn't come with a cigarette socket adapter and the 12v plug is unusual, I couldn't find one in Maplins so I had to cut the transformer lead and joint it to put power in directly. They had several 12v Bluray units, just take a look

What interface/media box do you use to control the hard drive.

I just plug it into the Bluray. All my DVDs were ripped and converted to MPEG

Only problem is movies that have subtitles, they seem to be missing. No Klingon subtitles on Startrek movies

Edited by Bewildered