Northchurch lock in the 60s. Shots of Willow Wren Boats

koukouvagia

Featured Posts

Presumably Vanguard photographed towing on the Regents was officially in the maintenance fleet?

I am not sure which photograph(s) you are referring to, but I do have records that have VANGUARD being used to tow the 'ash' boats between Paddington and Cowley Tip in 1951 - although it was out of service by September 1952. VANGUARD was subsequently transferred to canal maintenance duties in October 1952 and then sold to Samuel Edwin Barlow in 1954 when it was renamed as FRANKLYN captain.gif

Edited by pete harrison

Hi,

The video is brilliant - not just for the section on boats, but for details of life in general 50 years ago - it brought back a lot of memories for me. One of my first jobs in 1966 was collecting rents in the road adjoining the one featured - old WW1 rent controlled tenants with a weekly rent of 5/- (25p) a week - no doors locked, just let yourself and rent and rent book on the table. Then onto Tring to collect rents from houses in what is now 'Dolphin Square', before heading out to Aylesbury for the round there.

Thought the section featuring the travelling 'knife/tool' sharpener was good - the cart was decorated with brass bed knobs, similar to those beloved by boatmen.

Thanks.

L

I drove 301's out of Tring Garage in the seventies, and RF's on 706. Remember 'The Britannia', Wright & Wright's garage, the coal yard next the bus garage, The cinema, The little cafe a few doors along from the Post Office, 'Evelyn's' grocers, Grace's ( might still be there), Metcalf's hardware, and the delicatessan/butchers shop next door? Cox's plastics factory, London Road lodge turn that took you up Oddy Hill to Wigginton - which had two shops, two pubs (Greyhound and the Brewmasters), and a coal yard! I lived out along the Chesham Road in Beech Park caravan site for nigh ten years. Raw milk from Redwings Farm if you took you own can (Channel Island cows of Mr. & Mrs Eld), and there were shops in Cholesbury too.

Hi All

I now own Bison, I wasn't sure when I first saw the video as Bison was never shortened but as mentioned earlier the cabin configuration was pretty unique and certainly looks like Bison. In addition Bison was fitted with a National when she was converted, the engine was moved to the back of the boat which is consistent with the photo. In the BWB liveried photo the carried the fleet number 298 whereas her original fleet number was 289 there are a number of photos around. The couple in the picture are likely to be Mr and Mrs Peter Lincoln.

Fascinating

Andrew

Hi,

The video is brilliant - not just for the section on boats, but for details of life in general 50 years ago

Yes. I noticed how unselfconscious all the people were - no one made rude gestures at the photographer or pulled silly faces at the camera. Some of those cars would be worth a pretty penny today: notably the MG TF seem driving by early on, and the two-tone Ford Zephyr. I was also surprised at the lack of young adults in the shots. Plenty of older people, quite a few junior school-age children but not much in between - until we see a bunch of them emerging from the pub!

Yes. I noticed how unselfconscious all the people were - no one made rude gestures at the photographer or pulled silly faces at the camera. Some of those cars would be worth a pretty penny today: notably the MG TF seem driving by early on, and the two-tone Ford Zephyr. I was also surprised at the lack of young adults in the shots. Plenty of older people, quite a few junior school-age children but not much in between - until we see a bunch of them emerging from the pub!

Young adults may have been working - several employers in Berko, with more opportunities in Aylesbury, Hemel or Watford. Northchurch expanded in the 1960's and the roads featured comprised small terraced houses, many with no bathrooms. Cars were exellent - it must have been a quiet day as the main road featured in many shots (including the pub - The George & Dragon) was the A41, a busy through route.

Interesting that a group of people are leaving the pub at once - 2.00pm or 2.30pm closing time, (one of the scenes showed the time on the Church clock).

Fashions have changed and I remember one of the tenants had a family member who was a Beatles fan - the front room was covered in pictures (walls and ceiling).

I drove 301's out of Tring Garage in the seventies, and RF's on 706. Remember 'The Britannia', Wright & Wright's garage, the coal yard next the bus garage, The cinema, The little cafe a few doors along from the Post Office, 'Evelyn's' grocers, Grace's ( might still be there), Metcalf's hardware, and the delicatessan/butchers shop next door? Cox's plastics factory, London Road lodge turn that took you up Oddy Hill to Wigginton - which had two shops, two pubs (Greyhound and the Brewmasters), and a coal yard! I lived out along the Chesham Road in Beech Park caravan site for nigh ten years. Raw milk from Redwings Farm if you took you own can (Channel Island cows of Mr. & Mrs Eld), and there were shops in Cholesbury too.

Hi,

Our paths may have crossed, I lived in Wigginton Bottom from 1976 until 1983 and spent many a happy hour in the Greyhound (Landlords - Mollie & Ivor).

The village is now 'gentrified' and the Greyhound a good popular eaterie - if you want a table on a Saturday night you have to make a booking about 2 weeks before.

L

Hi All

I now own Bison,

In the BWB liveried photo the carried the fleet number 298 whereas her original fleet number was 289 there are a number of photos around.

Fascinating

Andrew

I did not notice that, although of equal interest F.M.C. Ltd. did not have any boat allocated with the fleet number 298 (but it was allocated to a boat that was never built) captain.gif

Great post. Reminded me of when I was a student at Loughborough in the late 60s and we hired Willow Wren camping boats sheeted-up ex-work boats. They accommodated 12 in the hull on camp beds and 2 in the cabin!!! The first time was from Rugby to Oxford and back. I think the boat was the Curlew. The second time was Rugby to Stratford and back with Sandpiper. We even went to a Shakespeare play at the Stratford Theatre. Must look out the slides we took.

Edited by ChrisJBrady

I did not notice that, although of equal interest F.M.C. Ltd. did not have any boat allocated with the fleet number 298 (but it was allocated to a boat that was never built) captain.gif

Hi Pete,

I assumed that someone had just transposed the fleet number when the boat was docked but may be wrong.

Regards

Andrew