Is my sole diesel engine mullered?

Featured Posts

Just had new engine electrics done and hoping boat would be happy for a while

A local mechanic had just tightened the gearbox cable, and made a minor adjustment to the engine speed, to stop the engine rattling so much at low revs.

Alas I moved the boat everything was fine.

Wouldnt start next day. Checked engine bay

Must have overheated - overspill residue left on radiator

Only the water was oily had leaked down both sides.

I jumped the leisure and starter batteries (no ignition lights were coming on as I turned key) ignition lights now coming on, but engine wouldnt engage.

I know nothing about engines. But I figure if oil has mixed with the water system, this is very bad & I might have to find ££££

What's the damage peeps?

Cheers

Mart

Okay, Mitsubishi base, same as the Vetus M3.10 I believe.

If you take the pressure cap off the heat exchanger what does it look like in there? How much water/antifreeze does it take to top it up? What's the oil level like?

Okay, Mitsubishi base, same as the Vetus M3.10 I believe.

If you take the pressure cap off the heat exchanger what does it look like in there? How much water/antifreeze does it take to top it up? What's the oil level like?

I think that they are the same donkey.

Yep I understand its a marinised Mitsubishi - will carry out checks in the morning and get back to you for advice, I took the water cap off, only about top centimetre had come out

If it's anything like the 3.10 that's in Wot Ever it will always throw out the top couple of centimetres. I learned early on not to fill it to the top.

If it's anything like the 3.10 that's in Wot Ever it will always throw out the top couple of centimetres. I learned early on not to fill it to the top.

My 4.15 Vetus (Mitsubishi) does the same.

Are you able to stop the engine on the key and remove the key without turning the ignition off?

I once hired a boat that allowed that to happen, by next morning the starter battery was flat due to the alternator exciter coil being connected all that time.

Agreed. We have another problem (not starting) but I was just trying to go a step at a time.

We are not sure it has overheated yet. Most engines if you top the water up full blow some out. He doesnt mention any alarms before he shut it down, he may be jumping to conclusions.

We are not sure it has overheated yet. Most engines if you top the water up full blow some out. He doesnt mention any alarms before he shut it down, he may be jumping to conclusions.

I fully suspect he is. However I just wanted to discount the 'oily water' description.

Jumping the batteries (depending on how he did it, and the SoC of the various banks) could well have only be presenting the engine with 9V or something. I suspect that's the case.

Tony

Are you able to stop the engine on the key and remove the key without turning the ignition off?

I once hired a boat that allowed that to happen, by next morning the starter battery was flat due to the alternator exciter coil being connected all that time.

Thanks Zen, the engine is turned off with a button and keys removed. The ignition key has 3 positions, in the first a light comes on, presumably indicating that there are batteries present and showing some signs of function, the second position, the light dims when glow plugs are active and third starts the engine (mostly) I wonder is something could have got stuck causing what you described but i'm pretty sure the engine stopped cleanly with the button and keys were removed and there was no indication (battery/ignition light) of anything staying on.

I fully suspect he is. However I just wanted to discount the 'oily water' description.

Jumping the batteries (depending on how he did it, and the SoC of the various banks) could well have only be presenting the engine with 9V or something. I suspect that's the case.

Tony

Thanks Tony. Batteries were connected red to red. Starter to a battery in the leisure bank. which consists of 3 bosch batts, 2 years old, appear to be functioning OK.

I would say the oily water is definitely that, at first I thought it was dirty water, and remembered that a mechanic filled the water up with canal water, and wondered if it was canal sediment, but the water is oily, I can't imagine what else it is. From the outlet over the top of the water tank there is dark residue, it has dripped down the sides, over some of the nice new electrical fittings. (Which is why I wondered if the starting problems could be related and not separate issues)

I havnt added any water/antifreeze for a long time and many hours, so wouldnt have thought overfill caused this.

I would like like to think there is still a functioning buzzer if things get too hot. But nothing sounded

Thanks

Martin

Thanks Zen, the engine is turned off with a button and keys removed. The ignition key has 3 positions, in the first a light comes on, presumably indicating that there are batteries present and showing some signs of function, the second position, the light dims when glow plugs are active and third starts the engine (mostly) I wonder is something could have got stuck causing what you described but i'm pretty sure the engine stopped cleanly with the button and keys were removed and there was no indication (battery/ignition light) of anything staying on.

snip

The red bit suggests that there is some undersized wiring between battery and ignition switch, a worn ignition switch, or some dirt/loose terminals. I know many boats do this but it is not correct if its enough to casually notice in my view.

As its a relatively modern engine make sure the multi-way connectors in the main engine harness are all clean and tight. Try manipulating it/them and see if the fault clears.

I am with the others leaning to discharged batteries or dirty/loose terminals some where.

I would say the oily water is definitely that, at first I thought it was dirty water, and remembered that a mechanic filled the water up with canal water, and wondered if it was canal sediment, but the water is oily, I can't imagine what else it is. From the outlet over the top of the water tank there is dark residue, it has dripped down the sides, over some of the nice new electrical fittings. (Which is why I wondered if the starting problems could be related and not separate issues)

I havnt added any water/antifreeze for a long time and many hours, so wouldnt have thought overfill caused this.

What did the chap fill with canal water? as you said you don't think the cooling system was overfilled as you haven't added any for a long time.