Fender fixings

Aunty_Rinum

Featured Posts

The important thing about fender fixings is to have a week link in them. So that if one does get caught on anything the link breaks before the boat sinks or gets damaged. This could be something as simple as a length of thin cord between two links of a chain or a link partially cut through. Doing this could stop your boat from sinking.

I lost a fender recently when it was ripped off in Teddington Lock. I'm not worried about the fender but it also took the hull fixing with it; circular, brass, with a horizontal bar.

Does anyone know where I can buy a replacement?

They are terrible things, mean you can't remove or even lift your fenders and this is what happens. Once you replace the fitting perhaps you could use a caribina to attach the fenders when needed (e.g. when moored against concrete piling) and keep them safely stored away the rest of the time, thus removing the risk of damage to the fittings too. Edited by Chertsey

The important thing about fender fixings is to have a week link in them. So that if one does get caught on anything the link breaks before the boat sinks or gets damaged. This could be something as simple as a length of thin cord between two links of a chain or a link partially cut through. Doing this could stop your boat from sinking.

In forty years I've never felt the need to do that. Fenders need to be secure and strong. I'm not sure how a fender being torn off could cause your boat to sink. It's all above the waterline.

They are terrible things, mean you can't remove or even lift your fenders and this is what happens. Once you replace the fitting perhaps you could use a caribina to attach the fenders when needed (e.g. when moored against concrete piling) and keep them safely stored away the rest of the time, thus removing the risk of damage to the fittings too.

It was a woven rope fender permanently attached. I have fat plastic ones which come out when mooring against walls etc.

Getting a fender caught between the boat and the side of a narrow lock, whilst going uphill has caused boats to sink in the past.

However this is unlikely in wide locks, like those on the Thames where it would appear from your profile information you do your boating.

Getting a fender caught between the boat and the side of a narrow lock, whilst going uphill has caused boats to sink in the past.

However this is unlikely in wide locks, like those on the Thames where it would appear from your profile information you do your boating.

I'm on the Grand Union at the moment. What you say makes good sense but, as I've proved this week, the mooring eye is likely to come out before the boat is dragged down. It's a widebeam displacing about 30 tonnes.