Hello, does anyone know anything about Heritage Boat Builders?

Melissas

Featured Posts

Hi everyone,

I've seen a few boats advertised, built by Heritage Boat Builders, but on searching online can't find any reviews about them - good or bad - and wondered if anyone had a boat built by them or experience of this boat builder? I'm still a newbie so any help appreciated.

http://www.abcboatsales.com/boat-sales/titania-1/

Thanks for your help! :)

We have a boat built by Heritage boats Eversham who I believe have deservedly gone bust. There is evidence of gross incompetence in the build. The drains in the fore and aft lockers let water into them rather than out.

The plumbing for the central heating was a complete shambles and has been completely replaced.

The washing machine has been installed so that it cannot be removed in one piece.

The boiler could not be removed for service or repair without damaging the gas supply

The filler for the water tank was but jointed to the tank and leaked when the tank filled.

The rear hatch runners used to divert rainwater into the cabin.

There was no insulation on the wall round the portholes iving rise to condensation especially on the aluminium liners which were in contact with the outer shell

The mushrooms in the ceiling were not ducted outside but vented into the roof space

They used MDF for the interior woodwork, which has exploded where there have been leaks

Rainwater from the roof runs down the cockpit wall right over the engine instruments.

The horn switch is out of reach if you are holding the tiller.

The engine and electrical systems seem to be well installed but the plumber was a cowboy and the shell builder doesn't know how water flows.

If I ever meet the man who built it there will be a frank exchange of views

Top Cat

My boat is a heritage boat. Built 2003. I've only owned it a year now but seems well built. Just had it blackened and the boat yard owner said it was in good condition.

Like you I have often thought about the builder not a lot off info on them.unlikt topcats mine seems well built

Edited by rustydiver

Like anything in life you get some good and bad from the same things. It's like I would never touch Fords, many people love them I hate them because off a bad experience with a brand new p100 pick up many years ago, it spent more time in the garage being repaired than being driven.

Just to put things in context, I know Grace's faults because I have lived with her, but I have seen worse faults on friend's boats some of which were made by builders with a high reputation and prices to match.

Boat building is a cottage industry and boats are one offs. In that industry there is no such thing as quality control or design reviews. So unlike cars you cant say " Builder A model B" thats a good un or "Builder C model D" thats a bad un.

When looking at a boat ( no matter who built it) assume its been thrown together by a cowboy until you see evidence to the contrary. Check everything and dont rely on your surveyor to pick up poor practice.

But be prepared to accept you have missed something and that you will have to either live with it or get fixed.

Top Cat

Edited by Top cat

Just to put things in context, I know Grace's faults because I have lived with her, but I have seen worse faults on friend's boats some of which were made by builders with a high reputation and prices to match.

Boat building is a cottage industry and boats are one offs. In that industry there is no such thing as quality control or design reviews. So unlike cars you cant say " Builder A model B" thats a good un or "Builder C model D" thats a bad un.

When looking at a boat ( no matter who built it) assume its been thrown together by a cowboy until you see evidence to the contrary. Check everything and dont rely on your surveyor to pick up poor practice.

But be prepared to accept you have missed something and that you will have to either live with it or get fixed.

Top Cat

Nicely put.

But I still don't like fords newer than mid 70's. ?

Top Cat

Not true reviews are done in the mags and shell quality is often mentioned. My first boat was an ex share boat built by pinder and black prince it was an ok boat and really enjoyed my ownership of it

Top Cat

If I remember correctly, Heritage Boats of Evesham became Amber Boats, and they were built in Poland.

Not true reviews are done in the mags and shell quality is often mentioned. My first boat was an ex share boat built by pinder and black prince it was an ok boat and really enjoyed my ownership of it

Reviews in magazines are just adverts masquerading as editorial and they only apply to that particular boat, any faults are either glossed over or just not mentioned. I remember looking at one boat that I had seen a glowing review on and the owner mentioned several issues that just did not appear in the review. And that boat came from a well respected name.

Top Cat

Reviews in magazines are just adverts masquerading as editorial and they only apply to that particular boat, any faults are either glossed over or just not mentioned. I remember looking at one boat that I had seen a glowing review on and the owner mentioned several issues that just did not appear in the review. And that boat came from a well respected name.

Top Cat

Maybe we look at differently reports do criticise some boats and often owners expect more than they pay for I have hust seen a case of this recently of upping the spec but no thought of the extra cost

Reviews in magazines are just adverts masquerading as editorial.

OOOO! Miaow!

We have at least two current or former boatimag editors amongst our ranks. It would be interesting to read their views on that statement.

Some time ago I had a discussion with a magazine editor on review policy. He explained that the cover price covers a tiny fraction of production costs and advertiser revenue is absolutely vital and they can't afford to upset advertisers with adverse comment on their products. When I asked how they deal with reviewing poor products he said "Everything has its good points so thats what we write about"

He also explained that in order to be reviewed a product must be advertised in that magazine.

Top Cat

• Greenie 1

Interesting, TC. As a regular reviewer myself (though of records and occasionally books, not boats) for various magazines, I can write honestly most of the time - but on occasion an editor has said to me, "Mike, they're taking a half-page advert, please be nice" and I will generally accentuate the good points of the album or book. I will never lie, but I will tell the truth selectively.

The rule of thumb for periodicals is (or used to be) that the cover price pays for printing the mag and advertising revenue pays for everything else: office premises, distribution, wages and fees (including mine!), office equipment, expenses (such as travel and beer). So yes, ad revenue is vital if any publication is going to flourish.

Hi everyone,

I've seen a few boats advertised, built by Heritage Boat Builders, but on searching online can't find any reviews about them - good or bad - and wondered if anyone had a boat built by them or experience of this boat builder? I'm still a newbie so any help appreciated.

http://www.abcboatsales.com/boat-sales/titania-1/

Thanks for your help! :)

Doh! Confused, got the wrong company. Edited by Stewart Kirby

Some time ago I had a discussion with a magazine editor on review policy. He explained that the cover price covers a tiny fraction of production costs and advertiser revenue is absolutely vital and they can't afford to upset advertisers with adverse comment on their products. When I asked how they deal with reviewing poor products he said "Everything has its good points so thats what we write about"

He also explained that in order to be reviewed a product must be advertised in that magazine.

Top Cat

That last point is absolutely and categorically not true with boat tests in Canal Boat. There are frequently boat tests by builders who don't advertise -- notably recently Jim Burch, Cherilton, and in the past Wizard Narrowboats to name just three. What the reader also doesn't see is the boats that are turned down, because they're either not good enough or not interesting enough.

• Greenie 1

Greeno for that information, Adam, thanks for putting the record straight.

Reverting to the record-reviewing analogy, I receive on average about twice as many albums per month than I have space to review (sorry about slightly angular phrasing there). I do tend to select the better ones to write about because those are the ones which readers will be more interested in buying - unless I'm in a really bad mood that day, in which case I will choose one of the clunkers and dismember it. But that's rare.

It would be interesting to see, just once, a boatimag reporter choosing a truly execrable craft and finding 99 ways to slag it off. Perhaps the April issue would be appropriate.