Aqualine Vs Jonathan Wilson/Louis & Joshua

Ex-Member

Featured Posts

Winzer Castle and it's owners paths have crossed with ours a few times. We've enjoyed a beer or two on his front deck and he's dined on ours. If he says he's serviced it every 250 hours I would believe him. However, our first thought was it is over priced.

We like people to take their shoes off as well, but then we're carpeted.

Edited by pearley

I am not experieced to know if the installation is easily maintainable but will look again with that in mind, thanks.

Re: price here is another which s virtually the same exept less hours but alot more expensive http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/Canal-Narrow-Boats-for-sale/louis-joshua-58-trad-stern-narrowboat/147070

Should I be worried that the JW has done 6500 hours?

I thought the engine on the aqua (Isuzu 42hp 4 cylinders) was a bit high pitched where as the the JW engine (Beta Marine 38 4 cylinder) had a deeper tone which sounded more livable with.

The guy who owned the JL who was there seemed a hands on decent decent guy who says he serviced the engine as per mauel every 250 hours; asked us to take our shoes off before we entered (good sign me thinks) and has travelled the whole waterway network in her.

Thanks for all the comments guys it is helping a nervours inexperienced buyer>

Beta do have a generally good reputation and have been marinising engines for a while. It is said that a cared for engine should do at least 10,000 hours before needing any significant attention, and hopefully a lot more. A boat with high hours will have been used a lot which can be a good thing, there is currently a very sad thread on this forum about a boat that experienced massive pitting due to sitting on a "bad" mooring for just two years.

................Dave

Winzer Castle and it's ownersvpatgs have crossed with ours a few times. We've enjkyed a beer or on his front deck and he's fine on ours. If he says he's services it every 250 hours I would believe him. However, our first thought was it is over priced.

We like people to take their shoes off as well, but then we're carpeted.

I am not easily taken in, he was laid back, helpful and wasnt trying to hard, if someones was giving a sales pitch I would be out that door,,,,,so what do you think its worth?

Beta do have a generally good reputation and have been marinising engines for a while. It is said that a cared for engine should do at least 10,000 hours before needing any significant attention, and hopefully a lot more. A boat with high hours will have been used a lot which can be a good thing, there is currently a very sad thread on this forum about a boat that experienced massive pitting due to sitting on a "bad" mooring for just two years.

................Dave

what do you mean "bad" ? the boat has a galvanic isolater.

btw....the boat was on a hardstanding so we saw it 'warts n all' he said it was last blacked 2 years ago and was good for another year and we was just touching up isolated areas that needed attention. Call me a numpty but if he had something to hide he wouldnt let people view out of the water?

I am not experieced to know if the installation is easily maintainable but will look again with that in mind, thanks.

Re: price here is another which s virtually the same exept less hours but alot more expensive http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/Canal-Narrow-Boats-for-sale/louis-joshua-58-trad-stern-narrowboat/147070

This one as more bits in it Travel power I would guess wrongly named same as the inverter charger so may well be higher spec right through

I am not easily taken in, he was laid back, helpful and wasnt trying to hard, if someones was giving a sales pitch I would be out that door,,,,,so what do you think its worth?

what do you mean "bad" ? the boat has a galvanic isolater.

I think the owner and this forum are still trying to work out the details, but some electrical characteristic of the mooring is the most likely cause. I have heard various boatyard tales of newish boats with severe pitting and these invariably relate to boats sat on "bad" moorings.

I believe a purchaser should look carefully at the condition of a boat, this is what matters. If its in good nick then high hours don't matter, if its rough then low hours are not a saving grace, the major ageing processes in boats depend upon much more than engine running hours.

.............Dave

I am not easily taken in, he was laid back, helpful and wasnt trying to hard, if someones was giving a sales pitch I would be out that door,,,,,so what do you think it's worth?

In my opinion it's way over priced,

It's one of Jonathan Wilson's basic shells, nothing special in regards to Steelwork, recessed panels, fancy hatches, ornate scroll work. A big difference to a bespoke shell and what he is producing now.

Portholed, not that popular, dark and not the best when viewing the scenery, single livaboards tend to prefer them for the security aspect.

Boat has been well used with the high engine hours, there's a lot of boats out there with far less hours.

No wow factor with the boat, both inside and out. Nothing special.

I would say £15,000 over priced

Edited by Northernboater

For 57K I would be looking at boats about 4yrs old with a fresh Bss, and would expect less than 2000 engine hours, from a known middle of the range builder. When we were buying we downloaded a load of specs from Abnb brokers, lots of detail and we could get a feel for the market and decide what we did and didn't want in our boat. Didn't buy from them in the end but learned a lot.

Top Cat

Sounds good advice,,,,so who is a middle of the range builder?

After considering all the comments I have decided;

Winzer Castle: A named builder gives me confidence and you cannot fail to respect the quality of the fit out, it needs plenty of tlc and better electrics so it is going to be a no.

Aqualine: That is going on the back burner for now, whilst it does have a wow'ish factor wth the fit out I can live with a more basic one.

So I need to see more boats and not rush in.cheers.gif