Gas size

Featured Posts

Your assumption is correct however, it does not give consumption in Kg but in B.Th.U's, which is 22,000, or aprox 6.45 Kw. As I do not know the calorific valuie of Propane compared with weight, i am unable to challenge or agree with your assesment. No doubt someone will be along shortly with a calculation.

A Morco D61 is quoted as 9.4Kw, so I think I am correct that working at full power it will be drawing gas through the pipe at a considerably faster rate than the Heatmaster.

Why are plumbers always so precious about their so called "qualifications"? The reality is that any idiot can do simple plumbing, and many of them are qualified plumbers. laugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png

Any idiot can write a computer program too, but when compared to a well structured program that follows good protocols is a thing apart, especially when it comes to future maintenance.

Your scorn illustrates your limited knowledge of the subject of plumbing.

I agree simple plumbing only requires an idiot but plumbing can get complex really quickly and easily, and then knowledge and experience sorts the idiots from the more capable.

The plumbers who are precious about their qualifications tend towards the 'idiot' end of the continuum though, I agree. And there are plenty of them about.

I'd be interested to see your attempt at the calculations of the pipe sizes necessary as requested in the OP, given your scorn about plumbers' abilities ;)

I'd be interested to see your attempt at the calculations of the pipe sizes necessary as requested in the OP, given your scorn about plumbers' abilities wink.png

Calculating pipe sizes for reasonably standard boat lpg systems is not difficult if -

1. You can get hold of a description of the relevant method.

2. You can get hold of the relevant data, particularly that relating to pipe characteristics.

3. You are reasonably "ept".

The gas plumbing "guild" do their best to ensure this information is not straightforwardly available, particularly (2).

If the gas lobby got into car maintenance you would not be allowed to fill up the windscreen washer bottle unless you had a qualification that also covered gearbox dismantling and re-assembly.

Now where is my gas-free bunker?

Calculating pipe sizes for reasonably standard boat lpg systems is not difficult if -

1. You can get hold of a description of the relevant method.

2. You can get hold of the relevant data, particularly that relating to pipe characteristics.

3. You are reasonably "ept".

The gas plumbing "guild" do their best to ensure this information is not straightforwardly available, particularly (2).

If the gas lobby got into car maintenance you would not be allowed to fill up the windscreen washer bottle unless you had a qualification that also covered gearbox dismantling and re-assembly.

Now where is my gas-free bunker?

Plain silly, especially 2)

Plenty of freely avaiable books about gas plumbing contains the required charts.

Plain silly, especially 2)

Plenty of freely avaiable books about gas plumbing contains the required charts.

Perhaps you're right. This app looks interesting but I can't get to see the price, ipad not working at the mo.

GB GAS L.P.G. PIPE SIZING CALCULATOR

By GB-GAS.CO.UK

Any idiot can write a computer program too, but when compared to a well structured program that follows good protocols is a thing apart, especially when it comes to future maintenance.

Your scorn illustrates your limited knowledge of the subject of plumbing.

I agree simple plumbing only requires an idiot but plumbing can get complex really quickly and easily, and then knowledge and experience sorts the idiots from the more capable.

The plumbers who are precious about their qualifications tend towards the 'idiot' end of the continuum though, I agree. And there are plenty of them about.

I'd be interested to see your attempt at the calculations of the pipe sizes necessary as requested in the OP, given your scorn about plumbers' abilities wink.png

Quite the reverse actually Mike, It is because I do have a reasonable knowledge of plumbing that I am able to make my comments. In my time I have installed two gas fired central Heating boilers, added radiators to an existing central heating circuit, designed and installed a thermostaticly controlled zone system*, and changed a Primatic water system to a conventional gravity system, not to mention commonplace things like installing and plumbing sinks, baths, toilets etc. and all before home computers and YouTube videos to show me how to do it. Just think what more I could have done, if I had more than limited knowledge.

* Subsequently adopted by Honeywell as their Plan Y plus.

Edited by David Schweizer

Interesting discussion. I'd never tried plumbing until I couldn't find anyone to do my own boat. So far I've installed the whole plumbing system which works very well (so far:) . I'd also never tried welding or working on an engine. All these things can be done with patience and practice.

I suppose with gas though yer could blow yerself and the missus up so that's quite serious.

Interesting discussion. I'd never tried plumbing until I couldn't find anyone to do my own boat. So far I've installed the whole plumbing system which works very well (so far:) . I'd also never tried welding or working on an engine. All these things can be done with patience and practice.

I suppose with gas though yer could blow yerself and the missus up so that's quite serious.

It isn't really that difficult, if you can do compression plumbing that does not leak water you can do gas plumbing on a boat, there is no significant difference. Solder joint plumbing requires a bit more skill, but that is not relevant to gas fitting on a boat, which should be compression fitting.

Edited by David Schweizer

There does seem to be a thing where if you ask people for info about gas fitting techniques it's a given that you are about to bodge it out of rubber hose and Jubilee clips.

Of course it's an skill and trade thats not to be taken lightly and there are standards to be aware of but that doesn't mean that we can't openly discuss techniques and common practices, i.e using imperial sizes rather than metric due to wall thickness.

There does seem to be a thing where if you ask people for info about gas fitting techniques it's a given that you are about to bodge it out of rubber hose and Jubilee clips.

Of course it's an skill and trade thats not to be taken lightly and there are standards to be aware of but that doesn't mean that we can't openly discuss techniques and common practices, i.e using imperial sizes rather than metric due to wall thickness.

Or assume that people who are not qualified gas fitters don't know how to do it in accordance with good practice.

Sorry to re-liven the discussion.

Thanks for everyone's comments, I'm currently consulting a gas qualified engineer to assess wether I can do this myself or get help.

One question ,( pardon my ignorance) we've established that imperial pipe is more suitable than metric but What is the danger of using 3/8 if 1/2 is required? ( providing the whole thing is safely and competently installed of course)

Is it loss of flow, I.e. oven going down or are there other serious problems/dangers?

Sorry to re-liven the discussion.

Thanks for everyone's comments, I'm currently consulting a gas qualified engineer to assess wether I can do this myself or get help.

One question ,( pardon my ignorance) we've established that imperial pipe is more suitable than metric but What is the danger of using 3/8 if 1/2 is required? ( providing the whole thing is safely and competently installed of course)

Is it loss of flow, I.e. oven going down or are there other serious problems/dangers?

It is perfectly acceptable to use metric.

But what about the issue of potential undersizing?

Poor appliance performance or dangerous?

Undersized pipes will lead to pressure loss. Pressure loss can lead to incomplete combustion. Incomplete combustion can lead to death.