Are these nuts meant to be tight?

Daltonia

Featured Posts

I tightened my stern gland two weeks ago for the first time in nine years. The only thing holding the locknuts on was the grease, but the gland nuts were tight-ish.

Margarine tub Vegetable oil-based low-fat spread tub here, too. Inherited it with the boat and it works just fine!

I have a salad drawer from an old fridge, which is more robust than a margarine box. It also has room for the bilge pump to sit inside it, pumping out the non-existent drips.

Super, thanks for the very useful replies. I'll replace them with self-locking nuts (which, unfortunately, are only sold in bags of 100 at Screwfix, so I'll have 98 spare...).

Don't know if you are ever anywhere near Corwen in North Wales but this store sells single nuts bolts washers etc.....

https://www.yell.com/biz/diy-and-bargain-store-ltd-corwen-3943430/

Fabulous shop.

Edited by Ray T

Don't know if you are ever anywhere near Corwen in North Wakes but this store sells single nuts bolts washers etc.....

attachicon.gifCorwen.jpg

Fabulous shop.

Nut screws washers and bolts? biggrin.png

I have a salad drawer from an old fridge, which is more robust than a margarine box. It also has room for the bilge pump to sit inside it, pumping out the non-existent drips.

I'd need a triangular one!

Edited by Machpoint005

Don't know if you are ever anywhere near Corwen in North Wales but this store sells single nuts bolts washers etc.....

attachicon.gifCorwen.jpg

Fabulous shop.

You can get them in Lowestoft at Westgate Fastenings www.westgatefastenings.com

How often do you need to change / repack the stern gland

No simple answer, I am afraid. Mine needs repack every 8 years, another boater above has not done it yet, after 37 years. It depends on how often you have to tighten the gland, to produce a drip rate you are happy with. The amount of wear to the stern tube will be affected by how the engine is mounted, how many tyres you have caught on the prop, etc.

Thanks for the answer I just asked as I am in dry dock at the moment. I have never tightened the gland nuts but always used the stern grease as often as possible. We have had the boat for 4 years and there as never been a lot of water that comes in. But I am unsure how to change the stern gland if I needed to.

Thanks for the answer I just asked as I am in dry dock at the moment. I have never tightened the gland nuts but always used the stern grease as often as possible. We have had the boat for 4 years and there as never been a lot of water that comes in. But I am unsure how to change the stern gland if I needed to.

Sounds like you have several years of tightening left - if and as necessary - before you would need to change the gland packing. If you are finding that most of the grease is ending up inside the boat, then you might want to tighten the gland a flat (1/6th of a turn) or two.

There are some recent threads about repacking the gland - it's easy to do, if you are a contortionist. In 99% of cases you don't need to dry dock the boat to do it.