Wooden NB for sale

Ex-Member

Featured Posts

Ah now your seeing what they dont tell you with using fiberglass. It will keep all the water out but you cant get the wood to breath so it locks in the moisture and rots it.

You cant win. You just gain a little advantage till the wood and water out smart you and you have to turn into a amazing diy/professor its like trying a rubic cube but when your not looking you mate changes it

But why will a steel skin be any different to a fibreglass skin? And if it is a skin and not a replacement cabin with framing, how will it help the flexing of the current cabin?

But why will a steel skin be any different to a fibreglass skin? And if it is a skin and not a replacement cabin with framing, how will it help the flexing of the current cabin?

Mmm, it's what I've got and I'm sticking with it but I'm not saying it's ideal. The steel is not very flat on the sides for one thing, which shows up quite badly when it's well polished. Secondly over the years it was all but abandoned water has got in, and there is some (hopefully no longer active) rot in the ceiling. In another interesting historical quirk, the wooden cabin is built of oak; I imagine the rot would be worse if it had been softwood. At some point I may have to do something about it but not yet!

That's a good point and one I shall be raising with the person who'll be doing the work.

I'm hoping that I won't have to remove all the interior of back cabin and start the fitout all over again, because I'm quite pleased with the one I did five years ago.

What are you missing? Possibly that if they had that much going for them more people would commission them.

And that it is certainly going to be harder to sell should you ever need/want to. It's very much a niche market. (You may want to keep it forever but circumstances can change.)

I say this as someone who owned a 1930s wooden boat - a Broads cruiser - which was beautiful but very demanding to own.

"Don't let your heart rule your head" said the surveyor when we bought it. We did!

On the Broads one of the neighbouring boats was an old wooden Broads cruiser and the couple that lived on her spent on average £7000-00 every other year when she came out for anti foul.

Too rich for me.

Phil

In case anyone is interested in wooden boats and don't already know - there is a wooden canal boat society up near us.

http://wcbs.org.uk

'No although my heart said yes my head and a lot of research and advice said no.......... so alas not for me, perhaps if I were more experienced etc...... I have however put a deposit on a trad stern boat which I hope will do us fine....time will tellboat.gif '

Numpty - has time told as yet? Did you buy the one you put a deposit on and are you on it now?

Steel sits on the wood there is still a vey slight air gap you can never get steel and wood to bond together without an adhisive or rust. But the fiberglass is physicly bonded to the wood and some of the fiber resin will seap into the wood holing the fiber harder to the wood this stops it breathing.