Yanks on the LLangollen Canal

tipton1947

Featured Posts

Back in January or February I posted on the Forum asking about the possibility of making the roundtrip from Middlewich to LLangollen and back in 10 days. My trip was planned for the end of July and early August. I picked the dates to escape the summer heat of my native Arkansas. The consensus seemed to be that the trip was “doable” but that I might be pushing it. As it happened we did not make it to LLangollen, but we had a great time!

Basically by the fourth night out we at Ellesmere. It was pretty clear that we could not make it LLangollen without pushing hard with long days. That would not be much fun. So we decided to two nights at Ellesmere; explore the town, get groceries, do laundry and then return to Middlewich in a very leisurely manner. Our plan was pretty simple, we would end each short day near a pub; Dusty Miller, Whitchurch, Old Barbridge Inn, Badger Inn, and then downtown Middlewich. That plan worked out great!

For navigation we used Pearson’s Welsh Waters for detail descriptions of canal side attractions and services and the e-canal app for real-time location info. Worked out very well.

For all of my logistical planning for getting to the UK, through London, Crewe, and on to Middlewich I neglected to do any meal planning! So when we got to the small Tesco near Andersen boats my wife did it on the fly. It worked out but was not very efficient. Carrying the bags of groceries back to the boatyard across the busy traffic was an adventure in itself.

We pretty quickly learned how to operate the boat and the locks. Sometimes the cranks on the gate paddles took a lot of effort, more than my little old lady wife might have, but there was usually someone else also working the lock to help. We never had any problems transiting locks. I was unable to reverse with any control except straight back. I never did figure out how to steer in reverse. I learned that when going forward I could make a sharp change in direction by holding the tiller all the way over and applying full throttle. The stern would move sideways with very little additional acceleration. I managed to avoid running aground and to make no more than a few glancing blows against other boats.

Everyone we met, except for one glaring exception, was cheerful and friendly. My wife especially enjoyed talking to, for the most part, the other wives while working the locks. She would point out how the men were “husbanding” their strength as we waited in queue for the lock. People often note our accent and we would explain that we lived in the middle of nowhere in the Ozarks of Arkansas. There were a few discussions of Donald Trump.

We waved at and greeted all of the boats we met and got the same in return. The exception one who complained to the effect that we were taking our half out of the middle of the canal. We weren’t and were actually working closer to the canal side. My wife tried to explain, but I shushed her. There is not answer to this sort of a$$ except an expletive, which I withheld. Everyone else, including ourselves, seemed to be willing to give the benefit of doubt to people having trouble controlling their boats. I found that a positive comment about a well maintained boat was always appreciated.

We really enjoyed the pubs, they were one of the highlights of the trip. Previously we had been too shy (sounds silly does it not) to go into one. Now I can order a pint of lager or diet coke with the greatest aplomb. My wife acquired a taste for the hard cider on tap. The food was always good and the Wi-Fi provided our connection to the rest of the world.

We had a great time and I appreciate the input that I got from the folks on this forum. And the night time temperatures at home in Arkansas were higher than the day time temperatures on the canal!

My pictures are at: https://goo.gl/photos/UzXb1e3GEhhNGMaTA

They include some pictures from Wales where we went next.

• Greenie 4

So glad to hear you had a good time! Sounds like you got the right idea by abandoning the idea of a long and rushed trip in favour of a relaxing meander on the canals, which I would offer was a cracking move. I'm saddened to hear that you drank lager when so much good English ale was to be had, but at least you overcame your reluctance to enter a British Pub. Whoever planted the idea that it might be a big deal deserves to be keelhauled! Still, your training wheels are off now, so next time perhaps...? Your wife, on the other hand, seems to have got the English bar offerings weighed off in a somewhat more impressive fashion. :D

Y'all come back and visit with us again now, y'hear? (Not really an Arkansas accent thing, I know, but the sentiment is a good one!)

I hope you return. Please try the English beer which is called "real ale" it is much more interesting than the lager. You have the right attitude to life. I hope we meet you 'on the cut' one day. My wife is from California and would surely get on with yours.

Glad you had a great time, reducing your ambitions was a good move.

This canal boating lark can get addictive, we started out on a hire boat on the Llangollen just like you. Now 20yrs later its taken over our lives with our own boat at the bottom of the garden. LOVE IT !

Hope you return to enjoy more of the system.

Top Cat

Pleased you enjoyed your trip and never mind the aggressive one, sure we all have them regardless of where you are. You did choose a busy canal too which I have no doubt made it more enjoyable. We did the Llangollen last easter and were told by the lockie at Grindley Brook we must be daft going up there at easter but we thoroughly enjoyed it.

We were up around Ellesmere at the same time, and I think we met you at a lock - mind you there were several Americans, Canadians, Australians, Norwegians, Danes etc enjoying our waterways this summer. Too many people set out with the objective of getting to Llangollen, condemning themselves to lengthy days of boating. I think you did exactly the right thing, and took your time. That, to me, is what boating should be like. Great photos.