Crossing the Wash from Boston to the Great Ouse

j04n

Featured Posts

Buy your Cam extension from the EA when you buy your licence, they'll sell you an extension licence at the cost of a % of a visitor licence, rather than a % of an annual one.

Much cheaper!

There is still a GOBA mooring at Waterbeach, and a very nice mooring it is too, even if it is a bit shallow.

Here is Waterbeach, in June. A bit of nettle bashing was necessary, but I don't think that will be a problem over the winter. A lightly disturbed night, as there was a rave going on a mile or two away.

dscf7773.jpg

• Greenie 1

Insurance ok but for additional £60 one way, £90 return ....... that was good of them! Got to have an experienced guide and make sure the boat is seaworthy ..... bit ambiguous!? Still waiting to here from Daryl.

How far do you go with the seaworhyness? Do you put snorkels on the engine vents and tape up the hatch? Or block the vents and put a snorkel on the hatch cover? I guess both would suffice.

Edited by j04n

Insurance ok but for additional £60 one way, £90 return ....... that was good of them! Got to have an experienced guide and make sure the boat is seaworthy ..... bit ambiguous!? Still waiting to here from Daryl.

How far do you go with the seaworhyness? Do you put snorkels on the engine vents and tape up the hatch? Or block the vents and put a snorkel on the hatch cover? I guess both would suffice.

I will send you a PM later on with my insurer's definition of seaworthy, just to give you a flavour.

Daryl insisted that we have the fuel checked and cleaned if necessary, because crud in your fuel can get shaken up by wave action and will block your fuel filters. We checked and it was filthy. Not cheap - cost approx £300 to sort it out. He also asked us to carry spare filters and a spare alternator belt. No other modifications necessary although he did check that we had some tape in case we needed to cover the louvres in the engine bay.

Daryl insisted that we have the fuel checked and cleaned if necessary, because crud in your fuel can get shaken up by wave action and will block your fuel filters. We checked and it was filthy. Not cheap - cost approx £300 to sort it out. He also asked us to carry spare filters and a spare alternator belt. No other modifications necessary although he did check that we had some tape in case we needed to cover the louvres in the engine bay.

Ouch! ..... Interesting point. Obvious when you think about it ...... but I wouldnt have! Engines only done 400 hours and most cruising done on a river so hopefully thats kept everything moving and clear but I will have it checked nevertheless. Thanks for that.

Engines only done 400 hours and most cruising done on a river .................

The 'worst possible case'.

A boat regularly used with 'high' engine hours will have had a good turnover of fuel - a boat seldom used and with 'low' hours could have had the fuel sitting in the tanks for years.

When we bought our latest boat in 2015 (it is a 2003) it had 74 hours on the clock. It had sat for many years with the same diesel (over 1000 litres) in the tank.

We still continuously monitor the fuel condition and carry at least 6 fuel filter on board at all times.

Ouch! ..... Interesting point. Obvious when you think about it ...... but I wouldnt have! Engines only done 400 hours and most cruising done on a river so hopefully thats kept everything moving and clear but I will have it checked nevertheless. Thanks for that.

Check the condition of the fuel and tank. At low hours like that it is likely to have been sat around in the tank growing its own new eco system.

Carry plenty of spare fuel filters and change them on a regular basis.

The 'worst possible case'.

A boat regularly used with 'high' engine hours will have had a good turnover of fuel - a boat seldom used and with 'low' hours could have had the fuel sitting in the tanks for years.

When we bought our latest boat in 2015 (it is a 2003) it had 74 hours on the clock. It had sat for many years with the same diesel (over 1000 litres) in the tank.

We still continuously monitor the fuel condition and carry at least 6 fuel filter on board at all times.

WOW! thought mine was low 324 hours when I bought it last year, its a 2006. Was running on fumes when I bought it. 3 100 litre fills in the last year and plenty of sloshing around on the river Ouse but I hear you. I will be servicing it before my trip and having the tanks checked out. We dont want the central heating going off either now do we....... albeit it of secondary importance! biggrin.png

Check the condition of the fuel and tank. At low hours like that it is likely to have been sat around in the tank growing its own new eco system.

Carry plenty of spare fuel filters and change them on a regular basis.

Ive always used that diesel bug addative ....... hope its not putting bugs in?! ;D ....... spare filters also a good idea thanks. Havent got any at the moment ...... woops!! ...... spares that is!

Edited by j04n

I tend to be a 'bit over cautious', but years of sea-going boats has taught me that if it can go wrong, it probably will do.

Take a jerry can of clean diesel (from another source to your main tank - petrol station if necessary) and sort out a way of running a pipe from it to your engine (after the filters) so if the worst happens you can jury-rig something to give you another 10 + hours to get out of trouble.

You can buy jerry-can fittings that have pipe running from them down into the can, and another that runs outwards from the can to enable easy (no-spill) siphoning.

If you make this outlet pipe the same size as you engine fuel pipe you can attach it / slide it over and clamp it with a jubilee clip.

It may not meet BSS requirements but they don't apply on the sea anyway.

WOW! thought mine was low 324 hours when I bought it last year, its a 2006. Was running on fumes when I bought it. 3 100 litre fills in the last year and plenty of sloshing around on the river Ouse but I hear you. I will be servicing it before my trip and having the tanks checked out. We dont want the central heating going off either now do we....... albeit it of secondary importance! biggrin.png

Ive always used that diesel bug addative ....... hope its not putting bugs in?! ;D ....... spare filters also a good idea thanks. Havent got any at the moment ...... woops!! ...... spares that is!

Not wanting to be rude but whatever "sloshing around" you have had on the Ouse is unlikely to be enough to stir up the crud in the tank.

I tend to be a 'bit over cautious',.........

You have every right to be. I'll certainly look into it! thanks

Not wanting to be rude but whatever "sloshing around" you have had on the Ouse is unlikely to be enough to stir up the crud in the tank.

sorry! boat.gif not a very technical term for a Technical Manager! lol ....... the tanks shall be checked, spare filters sourced and an external clean tank acquired. biggrin.png

New Axiom prop just arrived! biggrin.png ..... .fancy a race Cal? tongue.png

post-27205-0-50815600-1473770031_thumb.png

You have every right to be. I'll certainly look into it! thanks

sorry! boat.gif not a very technical term for a Technical Manager! lol ....... the tanks shall be checked, spare filters sourced and an external clean tank acquired. biggrin.png

New Axiom prop just arrived! biggrin.png ..... .fancy a race Cal? tongue.png

We are off to West Stockwith at the weekend if you fancy your chances biggrin.png

I use this (hand operated oil pump plus copper pipe) to sample the bottom of the tank.

dscf5434.jpg

and was your tank ok? ......... I'm going into dry dock this weekend to fit my new prop. I'll try and blag a free check! biggrin.png

We are off to West Stockwith at the weekend if you fancy your chances biggrin.png

Would love to but travelling across to Castleford Saturday. Dry dock booked for Sunday to change prop so should get back in half the time! biggrin.png ........ I wish!

and was your tank ok? ......... I'm going into dry dock this weekend to fit my new prop. I'll try and blag a free check! biggrin.png

Yes, I reckon about 1 part in 20,000 water (there was about 0.1% water in the separator jar, and I reckon that turned over 20-40 times during the day's cruising.

Here's the crud, which I felt was acceptable.

dscf5435.jpg

Yes, I reckon about 1 part in 20,000 water (there was about 0.1% water in the separator jar, and I reckon that turned over 20-40 times during the day's cruising.

Here's the crud, which I felt was acceptable.

dscf5435.jpg

Yes, that looks minimal.

Do you have a date in mind for the crossing?

Not specific at the moment. Plan is to amble down beginning of January so guess towards the end of January, early February but the weather will dictate. Learnt this weekend that it is not worth trying to keep to a strict schedule where boating is concerned as it spoils the experience. I've asked Daryl how flexible he can be. I mentioned that I was off to Castleford to have a new prop fitted this weekend. That took longer than planned and new prop totally under performing, worse than the original and left the boat grossly under powered. . Came back up the Ouse this morning, not Great Ouse on a spring tide, 9ft. I was advised to leave it until Thursday but figured I needed the push to get up. Came up mainly sideways with full opposite lock most of the way only to arrive 2 mile from Naburn lock as the tide turned and was worried I wouldnt get in. Pushing 2400rpm and only achieving 2mph! Thought I was going to end up back in Selby! So the spring tide was a mixed blessing as I dont think I would have got up without it. If that wasnt bad enough had to contend with below river furniture! MUST get this prop sorted before I go back on a tidal river. Bet you wished you never asked!

post-27205-0-55375500-1474399361_thumb.png

Not specific at the moment. Plan is to amble down beginning of January so guess towards the end of January, early February but the weather will dictate. Learnt this weekend that it is not worth trying to keep to a strict schedule where boating is concerned as it spoils the experience. I've asked Daryl how flexible he can be. I mentioned that I was off to Castleford to have a new prop fitted this weekend. That took longer than planned and new prop totally under performing, worse than the original and left the boat grossly under powered. . Came back up the Ouse this morning, not Great Ouse on a spring tide, 9ft. I was advised to leave it until Thursday but figured I needed the push to get up. Came up mainly sideways with full opposite lock most of the way only to arrive 2 mile from Naburn lock as the tide turned and was worried I wouldnt get in. Pushing 2400rpm and only achieving 2mph! Thought I was going to end up back in Selby! So the spring tide was a mixed blessing as I dont think I would have got up without it. If that wasnt bad enough had to contend with below river furniture! MUST get this prop sorted before I go back on a tidal river. Bet you wished you never asked!

What prop did you fit and who advised you

What prop did you fit and who advised you

Axiom. I had an assurance that they would change it if it wasnt satisfactory but after further research I fear they are not going to be able to improve the performance further without changing the gearbox ratio from 3:1 to 2:1.