Technodrive gearbox going for its last clunk?

Featured Posts

Never was over keen on it, but the Technodrive box on our Vetus has started doing strange things. It (twindisk TMC60 mechanical box) normally goes into forward with a hefty clunk. These last two or three days it has been jumping in and out of forward two or three times when engaged, though reverse is perfect. After an hour when things have warmed up, it is fine again. It sounds no different than normal and drives the boat along just fine. I have checked the oil, which was slightly overfilled (musn't have had my readers on when I last changed it), so I changed it for good measure (ATF as per spec.)

I checked the prop and it is clear and happy, free to rotate etc. It is a standard type single lever remote, which seems to be doing what it should.

Can anybody think of things I might need to check/adjust etc?

If it does snuff it, I will be getting a PRM hydraulic box.

Many thanks.

ps coming up to 4000 hrs and over 12 years old.

Do they have filters? just a thought ATF does thin out when warm so it could be a clogged filter

Cheers. I am not aware of one, but the "manual" with it is somewhat unhelpful, so I do wonder if there is some sort of crude filter fitted?

Edited by Guest

Never was over keen on it, but the Technodrive box on our Vetus has started doing strange things. It (twindisk TMC60 mechanical box) normally goes into forward with a hefty clunk. These last two or three days it has been jumping in and out of forward two or three times when engaged, though reverse is perfect. After an hour when things have warmed up, it is fine again. It sounds no different than normal and drives the boat along just fine. I have checked the oil, which was slightly overfilled (musn't have had my readers on when I last changed it), so I changed it for good measure (ATF as per spec.)

I checked the prop and it is clear and happy, free to rotate etc. It is a standard type single lever remote, which seems to be doing what it should.

Many thanks.

Try operating it [from cold] with the control cable disconnected, and see if it still does the same thing.

As far as I know they're very similar to the PRM mechanical boxes with cone clutches, and there's no adjustments that can be made to the box itself to take up wear.

Try operating it [from cold] with the control cable disconnected, and see if it still does the same thing.

As far as I know they're very similar to the PRM mechanical boxes with cone clutches, and there's no adjustments that can be made to the box itself to take up wear.

Thanks Tony will try that in the morning. Looking at a PDF drawing I have it is very similar to the PRM mechanical. One thing I just discovered; it does say is to remove the shim from the back of the bolt which holds the operating lever onto the gear selector. I wonder what effect this would have? (will try and post pic.)

Single leaver controls can be adjusted by moving the pins or hooks inside the hand control. set the gearbox end by ensuring that the maximum travel to push into gear then select which holes the hand control wants.

Thanks will look at that too. Seems it needs 35mm travel for the higher hole on the lever and 30 mm for lower hole.

post-910-0-34703300-1472659463_thumb.jpg

Edited by Guest

Sounds a bit familiar Cat! As you know from seeing mine, the PRM150 is a vast improvement. I think Vetus are using them as standard now on their new range to replace the old M4.15/17.

That's a fact! They are indeed fitted with PRM now, our neighbouring boat has this setup, and a few other improvements; better dipstick, extra alt., better instrument panel, but alas still no air filter. Will see if it gets us home, otherwise I will be fitting the emergency box wink.png

On the plus side, I never dreamt that my gearbox would last this long, so not unhappy.

ps did your old Techno box ever do this double knock thing, Dave?

Edited by Guest

I have a very low hours (about 400) PRM 150 3:1 (2.82:1 actual) ratio box for sale, if you are interested PM me.

When I had surplus funds I changed mine to a 2:1 ratio as it suited my engine/prop set up better

I would b interested, but 3.1 is too low unfortunately. Thanks anyway cheers.gif

That's a fact! They are indeed fitted with PRM now, our neighbouring boat has this setup, and a few other improvements; better dipstick, extra alt., better instrument panel, but alas still no air filter. Will see if it gets us home, otherwise I will be fitting the emergency box wink.png

On the plus side, I never dreamt that my gearbox would last this long, so not unhappy.

ps did your old Techno box ever do this double knock thing, Dave?

No, it just tried to pull the engine up through the deckboards. Once it was engaged it was ok. It sounds as though it could be the adjustment of the Teleflex cable - there should be a little bit of slack both when in neutral and when forward is fully engaged. Or else it is just the typical self-destruction that the Technodrives go through on inland waterways.

I also have a feeling that, although the manual recommended ATF oil, Vetus said you should use engine oil (15/40) on inland waters, probably because you go in and out of gear hundreds of times more frequently than a salty water boat which doesn't have to be constantly engaged and disengaged when going through locks for instance.

Many thanks.

Many years ago I paid many beer tokens to have the Technodrive gearbox re-build by the distributor

After the unit was returned and re-fitted to me it seem no better in the bin it went and a PRM 160 fitted

Keith

No, it just tried to pull the engine up through the deckboards. Once it was engaged it was ok. It sounds as though it could be the adjustment of the Teleflex cable - there should be a little bit of slack both when in neutral and when forward is fully engaged. Or else it is just the typical self-destruction that the Technodrives go through on inland waterways.

I also have a feeling that, although the manual recommended ATF oil, Vetus said you should use engine oil (15/40) on inland waters, probably because you go in and out of gear hundreds of times more frequently than a salty water boat which doesn't have to be constantly engaged and disengaged when going through locks for instance.

Very interesting, Dave, The manual I have for the box says 15/40, but on the actual box it says ATF rolleyes.gif

It was even worse this morning after an oil change, but went OK again when warm (couldn't disconnect the remote first thing due to the location we were in.) Got moored up and in better light, found an adjuster on the remote where it joins the gear lever on the box. Kicking myself for not noticing it last night! Anyway it didn't appear to be centralised, holding the gear lever ever so slightly on the reverse side of neutral. (The stroke of remote cable was right at 70mm). So i think your diagnosis might be correct wink.png

Now centralised and it appears to go in forward better, but tomorrow will be the big test when all is cold again. We are near Fradley junction so you will likely hear it engage at Nantwitch wink.png

I have also cursed at the gearbox in Peter Griffin style Italian so that could help.

Thanks to one and all so far, to be continued.....

(Apologies for poor photo)

post-910-0-90151500-1472738672_thumb.jpg

Edited by Guest

Many years ago I paid many beer tokens to have the Technodrive gearbox re-build by the distributor

After the unit was returned and re-fitted to me it seem no better in the bin it went and a PRM 160 fitted

Keith

A PRM will definitely be on my list to father Christmas :)

DOR fitted one on his Vetus and the difference is stunning.

Va tutto bene!

Sill pi55ed at myself for not seeing the adjuster rolleyes.gif

Must add a mirror on a stick to my tool collection.

Thanks to all who posted suggestions cheers.gif

Edited by Guest