Vetus stern gland packing

Featured Posts

Okay. We had a boat with a Vetus engine also a Vetus stern gland. Possibly the engine is a later addition.

In answer to your question. I'm sorry I'm not sure. I think there are two sizes. It's not expensive. I would buy both. But that's just me. Others may be along with more knowledge.

http://www.vetus-shop.com/images/ZWB30A.png

This is the common vetus water lubricated stern gear. It uses no packing just silicone grease in the Allen bolt hole occasionally.

If not this type you need to measure shaft diameter and use packing.

A photo saves a thousand words and doubts.

How much grease would be needed? Would a 20gm tube be enough or would it need more?

How much grease would be needed? Would a 20gm tube be enough or would it need more?

I purchased two x 50ml tubes about £5 a tube. Or a bit less.

When I last did the job I just renewed the two seals. I filled them both to the brim almost and fitted the into the metal unit. Leave the Allan key bolt out for now as any excess will come up through Allen key hole.

You must make sure the new seals are sitting as tight as possible in unit so give unit a good wipe out.

Overfilling can start to push seals out so take care as you inject grease. Best thing I found two put grease in is a medicine syringe from a chemist, cheap so buy two in case you break one. Squeeze grease tube into end of syringe after pulling plunger out which is Chinese plastic and snap easy hence I urge you to buy two

I always when adding grease after an engine service or if engine hours are less than normal perhaps yearly or longer whatever the time frame, spin the shaft as you gently squeeze in the grease watching the seal you can see stays in place.

If seal moves stop adding grease of course, leave Allen key bolt out, squeeze seal evenly back in and excess grease will exit Allen key bolt. Replace Allen bolt.

Of course if just topping up already fitted unit one tube is plenty but why not get two tubes and spare seals and your ready for anything without worrying where to get the parts quickly.

Edited by valrene9600

I have one on my boat, I think I put about 2-4 ml in through the allen bolt hole twice a year. A 20gm tube will last ages.

Baz

I have a tube of Volvo's own pukka stuff. I doubt it's any different to a generic brand of the same specification (other than packaging, price and it's a rather lovely shade of blue) but at least I know it's exactly the specification that's needed by my seal. I've no idea how much it cost but, given the rate it's used at, I can't see it's costing more than a few pence a year and neither can I see me needing a new tube in the foreseeable future.

I have a tube of Volvo's own pukka stuff. I doubt it's any different to a generic brand of the same specification (other than packaging, price and it's a rather lovely shade of blue) but at least I know it's exactly the specification that's needed by my seal. I've no idea how much it cost but, given the rate it's used at, I can't see it's costing more than a few pence a year and neither can I see me needing a new tube in the foreseeable future.

Yes Volvo tube usual from chandler is correct consistency but expensive if fitting new seals but fine for just topping up. Edited by valrene9600