Solar kits

wullie

Featured Posts

Can anyone give me estimate for solar panel kit for live aboard not sure how much we would require regarding size and output, would expect to fit good set panels and controller though⛴

Not sure how much to suggest it will cost then!

I used Tim at onboard solar to supply and fit mine. He is very helpful and can advise you what you would need depending on your own particular requirements.

http://www.onboardsolar.co.uk/index.php

Another couple of suppliers are Onboard Energy at Springwood Haven

http://www.onboardenergydirect.co.uk/shop/solar-pv-panels.html

Also Sunshine Solar

http://www.sunshinesolar.co.uk/catshow/Sunshine_Solar_Crystalline_Range/CrystallinePanels.html

Ken

Edited by NB Ellisiana

Wullie, the less helpful replies above are because you have asked a "how long is a piece of string" type question. This is easy to do when you don't know enough to ask the right question which, in the case of solar power, already isn't easy!

If you can or would prefer to design and fit your own system, then there's a fair bit to read by doing searches on here. To get good advice once you've got a bit of an idea, you would need to supply details of your existing charging system and your battery bank, your electrical supply system (is it 240V through which inverter or are you just 12v), what electrical equipment you have fitted and how often you use it, and how you tend to use your boat (is it connected to shore supply much of the time, do you cruise a lot so only need solar to top up, or are you fairly static and will be asking a lot of your solar). When you read up, you'll see that a 'power audit' is mentioned a lot, and you'll need to do one.

If that all sounds too difficult or is gobbledegook to you, then that's the bit you pay extra for when you engage a professional! Your initial outlay will be less For the DIY route, but the risk is greater. If DIY isn't for you, you may be better asking for solar installer recommendations.

There are some useful links above. Good luck. :)

• Greenie 3

A very helpful answer from Sea Dog above. Sums it up well. Have a greeny coloured dog biscuit.

Far more helpful than my answer, which was really a short tempered suggestion that you give us a clearer idea of your power requirements, so we can take an educated stab at answering.

Yes suppose it was a bit of an impossible question, just looking for ball park figure , just starting looking at boats seriously after years planing now that house is sold its finally happening, we would be in Marina maybe 6 months then plan to constant cruse, anyway once I get boat I will ask question again, thanks for information so far.

Hi Wullie,

In case it helps I'll tell you my experience. Last year I was looking at installing solar panels and got a free 'energy audit' from Semington Dock on the K&A. Basically they just went through my electric consumption on the boat (which has 24v cabin electrics), persuaded me to change all my halogen lights to warm white LEDs from Bedazzled (a very wise move), and gave me a quote for installing two 100W flexible solar panels (I insisted on the flexible ones glued to the roof because I don't like the rigid house type ones). Semington quoted £2,300 for the complete job, supply and fit, and this included feeding the cable through a mushroom vent and removing the inside ceiling panel to route the cable internally.

I couldn't afford that much money so I spent months doing my own research on the internet, speaking to suppliers and other boaters, until I had a clear understanding of how simple it really is (but also the tricky bits to watch out for). Then by buying very carefully I installed two 100W flexible panels for the cabin batteries, a 50W flexible panel for the engine starter battery, two Victron 75/15 MPPT solar charge controllers, all the cables and connectors including two cheap volt and ammeters from China on Ebay, for a total outlay of £500 (Photos here and here). My DIY job probably isn't as neat as Semington's would have been. Instead of routing the cables down the mushroom vent I just run them down the roof and into the electric cupboard through a hole in the stern bulkhead. I'm still pleased and proud of the job I've done for someone with no previous experience.

Now between March and October I can run my 24v fridge, use the lights, pumps, a little bit of television and microwave cooker from the mains inverter with just the solar panels and a few hours' cruising a week to keep the batteries at 100% without any shore power or generator. In the winter the panels generate a trickle but I still need to run the generator and/or engine regularly.

I hope this helps.

Well I would like to congratulate you, yes I think £2,200 would be a bit much for me as well, I have been looking at kits and have seen full kit wit upgrade to mppt controller for around £600 to £700 so for it to cost £1500 to fit is a bit of rip off, looking at your photos I would say you done o good job, this is the way I would want to go thanks for information.

Well I would like to congratulate you, yes I think £2,200 would be a bit much for me as well, I have been looking at kits and have seen full kit wit upgrade to mppt controller for around £600 to £700 so for it to cost £1500 to fit is a bit of rip off, looking at your photos I would say you done o good job, this is the way I would want to go thanks for information.

Bear in mind these will be feeble little MPPT controllers. A decent sized Outback that will cope with more panels (once you've realised how brilliant they are) will cost £500-ish on its own IIRC.

Oops my mistake. They are £600!

http://www.bimblesolar.com/offgrid/mppt/outbackextreme

Hi Wullie,

In case it helps I'll tell you my experience. Last year I was looking at installing solar panels and got a free 'energy audit' from Semington Dock on the K&A. Basically they just went through my electric consumption on the boat (which has 24v cabin electrics), persuaded me to change all my halogen lights to warm white LEDs from Bedazzled (a very wise move), and gave me a quote for installing two 100W flexible solar panels (I insisted on the flexible ones glued to the roof because I don't like the rigid house type ones). Semington quoted £2,300 for the complete job, supply and fit, and this included feeding the cable through a mushroom vent and removing the inside ceiling panel to route the cable internally.

I couldn't afford that much money so I spent months doing my own research on the internet, speaking to suppliers and other boaters, until I had a clear understanding of how simple it really is (but also the tricky bits to watch out for). Then by buying very carefully I installed two 100W flexible panels for the cabin batteries, a 50W flexible panel for the engine starter battery, two Victron 75/15 MPPT solar charge controllers, all the cables and connectors including two cheap volt and ammeters from China on Ebay, for a total outlay of £500 (Photos here and here). My DIY job probably isn't as neat as Semington's would have been. Instead of routing the cables down the mushroom vent I just run them down the roof and into the electric cupboard through a hole in the stern bulkhead. I'm still pleased and proud of the job I've done for someone with no previous experience.

Now between March and October I can run my 24v fridge, use the lights, pumps, a little bit of television and microwave cooker from the mains inverter with just the solar panels and a few hours' cruising a week to keep the batteries at 100% without any shore power or generator. In the winter the panels generate a trickle but I still need to run the generator and/or engine regularly.

I hope this helps.

Nice post,well done.

Bear in mind these will be feeble little MPPT controllers. A decent sized Outback that will cope with more panels (once you've realised how brilliant they are) will cost £500-ish on its own IIRC.Oops my mistake. They are £600!

http://www.bimblesolar.com/offgrid/mppt/outbackextreme

Maybe you're being a bit norty there, Mike. ;) Did you mean to say: "the little MPPT controllers are perfectly adequate for the present fit, but the domestic one doesn't allow for expansion should you find you love what solar brings and decide to fit more/bigger panels" I wonder? :D

Maybe you're being a bit norty there, Mike. wink.png Did you mean to say: "the little MPPT controllers are perfectly adequate for the present fit, but the domestic one doesn't allow for expansion should you find you love what solar brings and decide to fit more/bigger panels" I wonder? biggrin.png

That's what I said in the first plaice, shirley?

If you want to do this on a budget - I've just bought 3 of these for the front of our boat... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131893996705?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

OK so they are second hand but they're not too wide and will hopefully "do" until our finances recover - if ever lol. I collected mine (Wakey is only a few miles from him)

FYI - the Chap selling them (Ian) sets up off grid systems for a living... only selling "outback" chargers/inverters but was very helpful.