Southport Leeds & liverpool to rugby canal

Luke1971

Featured Posts

Hi guys, well I've now managed to buy a bout but it's moored just outside Stockport and I need to drive it to rugby can any one tell me roughly how long this will take and is the route open? ( no maintenance going on on my route) and is there anything I need to be aware of? Undesirable places to moor over night or any dangers also it has a 9hp 2 stroke petrol outboard with a 25 litre tank so how many hours cruising will I be able to do on 25 litres?

Many thanks in advance

Rugby in Warwickshire is my destination

http://canalplan.org.uk/cgi-bin/canal.cgiis pretty useful for timings - the defaults suggest about 50 hours from Marple (is that where you are?) to Rugby, via Macclesfield, Stoke, Fradley, etc.

For maintenance you need to check the C&RT website, I don't think there is anything blocking your route today.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices/

It's a very long time since I used an outboard, but vaguely remember about 1 litre an hour for a 6hp, maybe less. The relevant log is on the boat I am afraid, so not accessible until Wednesday.

ETA: main challenge/danger is Harecastle tunnel, near Stoke, which is controlled by tunnel keepers. You will want some lights for that, and an engine that does not conk out in the middle. I would recommend Westport lake for mooring in Stoke (a mile or so south of the tunnel). The rest of that route is really pretty rural.

Edited by Scholar Gypsy

Hey Scholar Gypsey again thank you for your input yes it's in Southport ( I'm glad someone can decipher my question and seems to no what I'm talking about ???)

So yes roughly how many hours traveling from Southport to Rugby Warwickshire or how many days it will take.

I will also take a look at the links you gave me.

If there is anything you think I need to no even small details then your input will be great fully received.

Oh and the width I think is 6ft 5 but not 100% but I do no it's a mayland 20 if that helps

OK, so Scarisbrick to Rugby is about 80 hours - 166 miles and 81 locks.

You need some more local advice on whether/where to moor in Wigan. I would advise stopping in/or near Worsley (warning - the water is orange!) and then the other side of the Manchester conurbation.

Canalplan output here: Planned Route?–?CanalPlanAC.pdf

Your beam does look to be 6'9", which is fine.

http://wayfordboatsales.uk/motor-boats/mayland-20-5001

Scholar Gypsy

That's great and really helpful! Although i must say I feel a little apprehensive about them tunnels lol but like all adventures I can't help feeling a little excited and inquisitive too lol

Many thanks

On tunnels: our first boat was similar.

We just hung a lantern in the hatch. That gave plenty of light sideways - which is what you need - and enough forward. In any case four out of the five tunnels, and the fifth (Newbold) is very wide (and so short you don't really need any lighting anyway).

sg_shetland.jpg?w=584&h=270

Between Scarisbrook and Wigan you will encounter five swing bridges. You will need a CRT key to operate them. I personally wouldn't overnight in Wigan, but there are good moorings around Crooke. Then you can go through Wigan to Dover Lock Inn south of Wigan on the Leigh Branch, which is another good place to moor, in a day. If you can pair up with another boat going through the locks it will make your life much easier. You will also need an anti-vandal key to operate the locks. For mooring you will also need mooring pins and a hammer. But you already new that.

There aren't many places to top up with water on the Bridgewater. There is a water point in the public toilets in Worsley, then the next one is at Ye Old No.3 prior to Lymm. The next after that is, unless you use one of several boatyards, Anderton services on the Trent & Mersey. Plenty of good places to moor on the Bridgewater once you clear Sale.

You will also need a tunnel light for Preston Brook and subsequent tunnels.

Ken

Hello NB ELLISIANA

What is a CRT key and we're will I get 1?

Also what is an anti vandal key and we're will I get 1 of those too?

Will I have to purchase them up there or can I buy 1 from here in rugby?

And there is a forward facing spot light on the boat but I think I will pack a spare car battery and a decent torch as a contingency plan

Your info is very much appreciated

Hello NB ELLISIANA

What is a CRT key and we're will I get 1?

Also what is an anti vandal key and we're will I get 1 of those too?

Will I have to purchase them up there or can I buy 1 from here in rugby?

And there is a forward facing spot light on the boat but I think I will pack a spare car battery and a decent torch as a contingency plan

Your info is very much appreciated

A CRT key is a standard Yale type key that you use on water points, elsan etc. The same key is used on swing bridges. An anti-vandal key is more like a box spanner used to release the paddles on some locks. It is also used on some swing bridges. You will probably be able to buy them from Scarisbrook Marina. If you are in Rugby already you can buy them from Midland Chandlers in Braunston.

I would also suggest you buy some canal maps or Nicholsons guide for your route. It will be invaluable for your journey.

Ken

Edited by NB Ellisiana

That's great

I will visit brainstorm marina before I go to collect my boat and ask them if I can buy these there.

This is wen I no I'm in the right place talking to the right people as I was unaware of these keys and would have ended up stuck somewhere hoping for a Good Samaritan to arrive ?

Thanks for your input Ellisiana

Sounds like a good idea I will be asking for a map or 2 aswell as that's another thing I hadn't considered lol

?

That's great

I will visit brainstorm marina before I go to collect my boat and ask them if I can buy these there.

This is wen I no I'm in the right place talking to the right people as I was unaware of these keys and would have ended up stuck somewhere hoping for a Good Samaritan to arrive

Thanks for your input Ellisiana Sounds like a good idea I will be asking for a map or 2 aswell as that's another thing I hadn't considered lol

I don't know if Braunston Marina stock the keys, but Midland Chandlers just up the road certainly do.

One other swing bridge you will come across is south of Wigan at Plank Lane. It is fully automatic using your CRT key, but is automatically disabled weekdays during road traffic peak periods (0800-0930 and 1600-1800).

Ken

Oh this is why I'm so glad I came on here lol

Upto now without your input it would have been more of a disaster than adventure ??

Knowing I need these things is the most important bit and sourcing them is the 2nd important bit

As I would have set off with ought them and came unstuck fast lol

I'm llistening & earning ???

Thank you

And yes it's licensed and has a safety certificate till 2017 Lao once I'm back here in rugby then I will be able to learn more and address any nessasary issues as this is my 1st ever boat so I'm hoping I like it and progress as time goes on

We all had to learn. You are doing the sensible thing and asking for advice.

The most important thing is to enjoy your adventure with your new boat.

One minor thing I forgot to mention regarding the tunnel at Preston Brook is that it, and the one after at Saltersford are one way working.

Entry going in your direction is restricted to 30 minutes past each hour to 40 minutes at Preston Brook and 30 to 50 minutes past each hour at Saltersford. There is a big notice at each tunnel entrance but it helps to know in advance what the timings are.

Ken

Yes being on here asking general questions is great but receiving the correct answers from the likes of yourself is priceless!!!

And I'm going to take my younger nephew who is 26 ( should come in handy with the locks ??) and we plan to fit an hour or 2 fishing in in the evenings wen we moor up for the night so I think it will b a memorable adventure! Oh and not forgetting il have my 2 toy Yorkshire terriers with me too lol ?

Thank you so much for all your very kind help! I'm sure il have a fantastic time!

And when I do arrive back here in rugby I will come back and add some pictures and insight into the Experiance for yourself and others!

And yes it's licensed and has a safety certificate till 2017

The licence is not transferable, so if you have just bought this boat you will need a new licence. See https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/licensing-your-boat. The previous owner can claim a refund on the unexpired part of the previous licence.

Hi Dave

I'm so glad you said that coz it's licences by the present owner not by myself.

Would I be able to licence it 2 days after I have taken ownership or is this something that has to be done immediately?

Hi Dave

I'm so glad you said that coz it's licences by the present owner not by myself.

Would I be able to licence it 2 days after I have taken ownership or is this something that has to be done immediately?

I would think technically you would need to licence it before you took possession, but I don't think 2 days would be an issue. Licences are valid for whole months only, like car tax so it would almost certainly be 'back dated' to cover your period of ownership. The Bridgewater canal is not a CRT waterway but there is a reciprocal arrangement allowing CRT licenced boats to use the Bridgewater for seven continuous days without charge with no return within 28 days. So you won't need to pay £40 to transit the Bridgewater provided you are CRT licenced.

Ken