Current state of the river Nene?

Greg_F

Featured Posts

Possibly going for a little trip on the river Nene this weekend, on Sunday. My father has warned me this can be a tricky river, and I will be on a 72ft narrowboat. I assume due to the recent good weather the river is in an ok state and not fast flowing etc? Is it very busy due to summer hols?

Any help much appreciated :)

Possibly going for a little trip on the river Nene this weekend, on Sunday. My father has warned me this can be a tricky river, and I will be on a 72ft narrowboat. I assume due to the recent good weather the river is in an ok state and not fast flowing etc? Is it very busy due to summer hols?

Any help much appreciated :)

Pretty much no to everything bar for the is it OK comment.. :)

You will be fine, I have some slabs to lay in the garden, I can't do it as the ground is like concrete....

We had a brief shower at 1:45pm, first one in ages.

If you get as far as Ashton you will find a lack of water more of an issue than the scaremongering excess water tales.

HTH :)

Hi Greg

Glenda & I just returned, this evening, after a run downstream and back, everything is Tickety Boo!

Although we got drenched by the afore-mentioned 'brief shower'!

Empty your toilet and bins last thing, there are fewer places to empty these on the Nene.

Make sure you have an EA key. And if possible a Nene book.

It's worth joining the 'Friends of the river Nene'

They have created some badly needed new moorings.

Enjoy your trip, keep your wits about you, the river demands more of your attention than the canals do.

Maybe see you on the river. Stay safe.

Chop & Glenda. cheers.gif

Hi Greg

Glenda & I just returned, this evening, after a run downstream and back, everything is Tickety Boo!

Although we got drenched by the afore-mentioned 'brief shower'!

Empty your toilet and bins last thing, there are fewer places to empty these on the Nene.

Make sure you have an EA key. And if possible a Nene book.

It's worth joining the 'Friends of the river Nene'

They have created some badly needed new moorings.

Enjoy your trip, keep your wits about you, the river demands more of your attention than the canals do.

Maybe see you on the river. Stay safe.

Chop & Glenda. cheers.gif

Hi Chop!

The friends of the Nene is nearly 2 years old, where did the time go?! :)

Good point about the bins, I never give that a mention when talking about our river!

You may find this website more handy for river levels - the same data - http://www.gaugemap.co.uk/#!Detail/1565/1710/2016-07-22/2016-07-28

PS I should add that the set of stations along the top of that page is not complete - it goes no further downstream than Cogenhoe.

I am in discussion with the company about equivalent issues on the Fens - they are (not surprisingly) finding it hard to understand how the various waterways fit together - and I have offered to provide a more logical list for the Bedford Ouse and Ely Ouse. I may do the same on the Nene - the "map" view shows many more sites than are listed here.

Edited by Scholar Gypsy
  • Greenie 1

Thanks for your replies guys, it would only be a day trip so shouldnt need to worry about bins & water as we will just take that with us when we go!

Are you hiring a day boat then? If you wanted to see anything worth seeing, you'd have a job to get down the Rothersthorpe flight and back up in a day, cheers.gif

Are you hiring a day boat then? If you wanted to see anything worth seeing, you'd have a job to get down the Rothersthorpe flight and back up in a day, cheers.gif

I haven't seen Clive's day boat recently, is he still running it?

No its a shared boat, its been left near the park at Peterborough apparently. Id like to leave it there once we're finished, looking at canal plan it looks like the best bet is to head to Waternewton Lock No 35, turn round at the turning point there and head back.

No its a shared boat, its been left near the park at Peterborough apparently. Id like to leave it there once we're finished, looking at canal plan it looks like the best bet is to head to Waternewton Lock No 35, turn round at the turning point there and head back.

Park?

Do you mean Ferry Meadows?

It's either there or it isn't, you can't be near!!

A good day trip and return from anywhere in the city centre up to ferry meadows would be Wansford In England or Yarwell mill.

Water Newton is about 2 hours from Peterborough embankment.

Park?

Do you mean Ferry Meadows?

It's either there or it isn't, you can't be near!!

A good day trip and return from anywhere in the city centre up to ferry meadows would be Wansford In England or Yarwell mill.

Water Newton is about 2 hours from Peterborough embankment.

I suspect he means the embankment, As there are two 70 footers moored at the moment on the riverside.

There is nothing at Water Newton, it will be a sight seeing trip only.

You will need to go through the lock and turn above it in a 70' boat. There are no turning or winding holes as you know them on a canal.

Add another 30 mins to your journey and you can stop at NVR at Wansford station (Stibbington) for lunch and a look round.

Plenty of room to turn too.

If the EA mooring is full use the bank on the opposite side and walk across on the footpath beside the railway.

I suspect he means the embankment, As there are two 70 footers moored at the moment on the riverside.

Ah right, as there is no park there I discounted that!! Edited by gazza