Pontcysyllte

dor

Featured Posts

Anyone who has been over the Pontcysyllte aqueduct will know how hair-raising it is when you look over the offside. It amazes me that more people and dogs don't get lost over the side.

However, in the top of the offside edge are a series of square holes. They look to me as if they were designed to take railings. Does anyone know if this was the case and if so, were they ever fitted? (See the picture at http://www.narrowboatworld.com/ under Observations if you are not sure what I mean)

Anyone who has been over the Pontcysyllte aqueduct will know how hair-raising it is when you look over the offside.  It amazes me that more people and dogs don't get lost over the side.

However, in the top of the offside edge are a series of square holes. They look to me as if they were designed to take railings. Does anyone know if this was the case and if so, were they ever fitted?  (See the picture at http://www.narrowboatworld.com/  under Observations if you are not sure what I mean)

I thought the same the other day when the BBC holiday programme featured a trip across it - the holes were shown up in close up. When you think how over the top we are going with health and safety issues in this modern world, I'm very surprised that BW hasn't fitted railings a long time ago!

Regards

Howard Anguish

I thought the same the other day when the BBC holiday programme featured a trip across it - the holes were shown up in close up. When you think how over the top we are going with health and safety issues in this modern world, I'm very surprised that BW hasn't fitted railings a long time ago!

Regards

Howard Anguish

:) Still wouldnt make the wife happy ...she still walks over hangin on for dear life!

Its quite scary but I never let on to her !

Ok ok, I believe there have been one or two dogs go over, can't think of any people though. Still find it remarkable that no one has fallen off, and that H&S haven't insisted on railings being put in place.

I lost a fender in the canal right in the middle, whilst going over. It was in my small cruiser, the front of which actually hangs over the edge. I was hanging over the water with my boat hook from the tow path side trying to fish it out. They're a tenner each!

Fortunately I'm not frightened of heights.

There were no other boats about so while we were "parked" up in the middle I took the oppotunity to take a few pics. I'll dig them out and put them in the gallery.

I was told, about 20 yrs ago, that the local rugby club used to (for a bet) run along the non towpath side.

Allegedly no one ever fell off, but many fell in, due to making sure their balance was towards the canal.

I have no idea if there is any truth in this tale!!

I have heard stories of people walking along the non-towpath side while holding on to their boat :) . I have also heard that photographers have been known to stand on top of their boats while going across with camera on tripod. Never seen it though...

While safer, it would be a shame if H&S rules meant a fence had to be put across. I'll never forget the magic feeling of 'flying' while going over the aqueduct on the south Stratford. I can only imagine that going over the Pontcysllte would be amazing!

Jon

gringogordo: I thought there was a river under the aquaduct? I hope your not suggesting you can walk on water? :)

I must admit, it was a pack of lies, I was never there and there waz no dogs. :) I just liked the idea - "I've never been able to cross that aqueduct without losing a dog or 2!".

(DOR - I've never seen it so this is no criticism of your concerns just the mental wonderings of a bored man at his desk! :) )

Cheers,

Ben.

The holes were apparently for an iron fender parts of which can still be seen at the ends of the aqueduct. There is actually a technique for boating across the aqueduct which makes the best of a hair raising experience, and prevents the boat from banging any of the sides so one's heart doesnt flutter nervously high up in the air on a narrowboat. I hate heights and helped on the trip boats across the aqueduct a few years ago, which could be up to four times a day, us steerers developed a way to take the boats smoothly across the aqueduct. The worse experience of all was having a trip boat full of boozy blokes who rocked the boat violently all the way along the aqueduct!

I posted this on the newsgroup a little while ago, so for the sake of completness.

Picture taken from model aircraft of the Pontycillythingy aqueduct.

http://tinyurl.com/683pn

source  http://www.ehgp.com/aeropic/

Is that your picture (or rather your model plane?) Fantastic shot, I don't think I've seen it like that before!

Jon

I'm planning on that trip this summer but not sure now! One thing I know is that I'll lock the dog inside!

Go for it whether the weather be fine or not it is absolutely worth it. if it's windy, it was when we went, take everything thats loose of the roof.

Try to avoid school holidays because it is so busy and just after the aquaduct towards

that town that holds the eistedford, could not spell Llangollen, the canal becomes very narrow with alternate working necessary.

Been there, done that but would definately go again.

Yes some people get very snooty about the Llangollen but that final stretch from the aqueduct into the town is the nicest and most spectacular length of canal I have ever seen.

There did used to be problems with waves of hire boat setting off at the same time in each direction leading to overcrowding, however with the latest trend for variable turn round days the problem barely exists anymore.