Pontcysyllte

dor

Featured Posts

We had a great trip up the Llangollen all the way to the end in August 2003 wasn't overly busy (have had more delays on the oxford and grand union) but I think this can vary by the day depending on when everyone leaves the hire bases.

Just watch the lock side weirs as they can be very strong, and take a pair of walkie talkie's for the last bit. The moorings have improved at the end apparently as well as they were a bit limited beforehand.

Moorings are chargable (Oct2005) the new marina was empty we managed to turn a 50 footer narrowboat in one big circle. I believe this would be possible if the marina had been full.

We met a few boats in the narrows but it tests your skills, lots of people to talk too and if you take your time as said before it is terrific

Try to avoid school holidays because it is so busy and just after the aquaduct towards

that town that holds the eistedford, could not spell Llangollen, the canal becomes very narrow with alternate working necessary.

Been there, done that but would definately go again.

Difficult being a deputy head of a school!

Edited by Khayamanzi

The year we went over, my younger son was aged about 13. His plan was to stand on the side deck and hold on to the roof rail (sorry, don't know if there are any "proper" names for these things) on the non-towpath side. Unfortunately he was banned from this activity by my then partner, so went insied to sulk. Can't say I blame him, it's the sort if thing I would have wanted to do at 13. Or 48 come to that. :)

We went over the aquaduct last year on a trip down to Llangolen. Beautiful countryside. Mooring at Llangolen was a problem but I think I read in the Waterways press that the new marina is open now for overnight stays but they do charge.