Abandoned canal near A483

Featured Posts

Driving to South Wales today we passed a couple of canal bridges standing in the middle of nowhere and then a section of abandoned canal which ran parallel with the A483 road for about a mile.

We didn't get the chance to stop and take pics. But may do on the way back.

Any ideas which it was?

Just curious.

Whereabouts on the 483 were you MJG? From memory the stretch that runs from Oswestry to Welshpool runs alongside the Monty. Some great stretches still in water and some of the bridges are fine but others have been levelled to improve visibility.

Thinking through the course of the A483 from memory it must be the Montgomery, as Andy suggests, further south there isn't an obvious canal, or even an unobvious one...

Well worth a look, The village of Berriew is just off the A483 and has a fine aqueduct, Belan Locks are not far off, Morrisons Car Park in Welshpool backs onto the canal, Buttington Wharf is not far away, Nearer newtown you can park at Abermule and see not just the canal but a splendid iron bridge over the Severn...

Thinking through the course of the A483 from memory it must be the Montgomery, as Andy suggests, further south there isn't an obvious canal, or even an unobvious one...

Well worth a look, The village of Berriew is just off the A483 and has a fine aqueduct, Belan Locks are not far off, Morrisons Car Park in Welshpool backs onto the canal, Buttington Wharf is not far away, Nearer newtown you can park at Abermule and see not just the canal but a splendid iron bridge over the Severn...

The new moorings in the centre of Welshpool are very nice, backs on to a large car park handy for loading unloading your boat and there is a mooring just below the lock by Morrisons for any quick shopping you may need as you pass... shame there are very few boats on this stretch these days, the local council have really made it a visitor friendly canal.

Whereabouts on the 483 were you MJG? From memory the stretch that runs from Oswestry to Welshpool runs alongside the Monty. Some great stretches still in water and some of the bridges are fine but others have been levelled to improve visibility.

It's a long road but those place names I reckon nail it.

It was quite weird seeing the bridges still with their numbers on stood crossing...nothing.

• 3 weeks later...

With much of the Montgomery between Carreghofa and Freestone Lock "in water". It is a question where are the sections out of water.

Travelling from Llanymynech south through Four Crosses Bridge 101 I believe is still there. Bridge 102 Maerdy is lowered for the 483 T and so is 103 at Ardd-Lin, but it is navigable from there to 129 at Refail

At 129 this bridge is lowered. The 483 passes through Garthmyl and south of there are parts in water, parts out of water with dropped bridges and bridges in tact. This road passes close to the canal for a lengthy distance to Abermule.

This section includes 3 swing, or turn bridges (139, 142 and 144).

Restoration would bring a very scenic canal beside the Severn into use again. Abermule, it is said was once head of Severn Navigation in Roman times.

Restoration would bring a very scenic canal beside the Severn into use again. Abermule, it is said was once head of Severn Navigation in Roman times.

"Pool Quay" was the Quay for Welshpool, which only got the "Welsh" added by the railways

Somewhere I have a book by a fellow who canoed and camped his way down the Severn to Gloucester, then went via the various Canals to the Thames (G&S, Stroudwater, T&S) and down that to London, 1930's? Much of the T&S needed his car. He started from Newtown, although I've no evidence barges ever got that far.

The towpath from Newtown is now in exellent condition for walking and cycling .Have not walked the towpath at Redwith recently,this is the only bad bit I can think of. The canal.is as good a long distance walk as you will find. Dont think there are any boats other than the Sunshine boats on the Welshpool section at the moment.

The towpath from Newtown is now in exellent condition for walking and cycling .Have not walked the towpath at Redwith recently,this is the only bad bit I can think of. The canal.is as good a long distance walk as you will find. Dont think there are any boats other than the Sunshine boats on the Welshpool section at the moment.

sadly not, the hire boat lasted a few seasons but has now gone along with the river butty that was a floating tea room in Trallwng (Welshpool to the foreigners)

There was a horse boat based at Belan a few years ago. Can any body confirm the fate of this craft?

If you are refering to "Berriew" the ex SUR&CC boat and the A & A Peate boat which were sunk at the wharf they were broken up by the volunteers restoring the canal.

The Heulwen/Sunshine boats are run by a charity and are based at Buttington(2 boats) I have not walked past recently. I assume they are still there(behind The Flash leisure centre

We had a look at Welshpool lock on Friday and both Heulwen boats passed through with passengers on board while we were there, so obviously still going strong.

Howard

With a bit of detective work (and the power of Google!) I manged to find one of the bridges I saw and referred to in my OP.

This is bridge 131. Apparently also known as 'Chain Garthmyl Bridge'

The largish building just in shot on the left is the Naggs Head on the edge of the A483.

M6LFkPqh.png

Your first shot by the Nags Head shows the origional terminus of what became the Eastern Branch of the Montgomery Canal. The building to the right of the shot is an old maltings,now used as a feed store,Several cottages and limekilns here. Sadly not reachable by boats on the Welshpool section. Boats can only get as far as Refail(Aboat a mile towards Welshpool.) The other side of the road from the bridge,there is what I believe to be a trace of the canal before the lowered bridge carrying the road to Montgomery. The canal is then in good condition until it reaches two culverted crossings of the A483.

Ah, it is Garthmyl, which was the terminus of the Eastern Branch of the Montgomery. Most of these surviving bridges are listed by Historic Wales. One can only hope that the canal to this section is restored to navigation once the main links are re-established.

Garthmyl being the terminus had warehouses for the transfers between canal and road.

Ray Shill

Edited by Heartland

I recall the Monty being discussed in the 1970s waterways press. The Monty was abandoned by Act of Parliament in 1944 which meant a bare minimum consistent with safety could be spent. Although the local authorities were in favour of restoration it seems the legal officer of one opposed spending and when the A483 was being improved any, other than necessary, expenditure was forbidden. We are now left with the short, weed choked lengths we see today.

I think it is fair to say that the Montgomery canal is much better maintained than some other navigable canals. Although weed growth is a problem,due to the lack of boats,the canal is a credit to the people who maintain it. The present problems are due to a certain idiot Welsh Secretary who refused to support an E.U. funded restoration scheme for the whole canal. If this scheme had gone ahead,the canal would have been navigable by now.(Just checked the canal at Aberbechain by the aqueduct.Heavy weed growth but passable by canoe)

I think it is fair to say that the Montgomery canal is much better maintained than some other navigable canals. Although weed growth is a problem,due to the lack of boats,the canal is a credit to the people who maintain it. The present problems are due to a certain idiot Welsh Secretary who refused to support an E.U. funded restoration scheme for the whole canal. If this scheme had gone ahead,the canal would have been navigable by now.(Just checked the canal at Aberbechain by the aqueduct.Heavy weed growth but passable by canoe)

Is that the same idiot who hummed "along" with the national anthem or another idiot, we seem to have had a few.

Is that the same idiot who hummed "along" with the national anthem or another idiot, we seem to have had a few.

It was Peter Walker, who was MP for Worcester at the time. Until his appointment it was usual for the post to be held by a Welsh MP. For example. Walker's predecessor between 1979 and 1987 was Nicholas Edwards (Now Lord Crickhowell), MP for Pembroke.

• Greenie 1