second hand parts

hutchison

Featured Posts

ebay has drawn a blank , most needed is a timing chain cover , and a crank pulley , both mines are badly rusted , i know i need more bits but nobody seems to have websites

You're gonna have to help us out here is you are to get any meaningful advice.

Timing chain cover , and a crank pulley for what?

(And "my engine" won't be enough information!!!)

BMC 1.5 Diesel , sorry , I am new

Hi, and welcome to the forum from a fellow BMC 1.5 owner.

I get most bits I need from ebay or http://calcuttboatsshop.com

They have a front cover listed on the website. Will almost certainly have a second hand crank pulley on the shelf too. When I was struggling with my engine, Roger at Calcutts sent me to theire workshop where one of their guys spent about thirty minutes explaining where I'd gone wrong with the injector timing.

Advice, I've got from this forum, google and Calcutts. There's some very patient and knowledgeable people on here who give there advice freely. So much so that I was able to rebuild my engine without any prior understanding of diesel engines.

I'm about to build another engine from scratch. The crank has been ground, just need to save up a bit before I can get new pistons. I'm thinking of producing a rebuild series for prosperity.

Rob

• Greenie 1

BMC 1.5 Diesel , sorry , I am new

Do you mean the crankshaft pulley with the rubbed damping ring in it?

I haven't checked, I suspect the timing cover will be the same as the MGB. If you can't find them elsewhere, we have both of these parts

Richard

mainly a timing chain cover and crank pulley at first , second hand , good condition (Y)

You say your pulley is rusty - is it usable despite this? They are now hard to get hold of

Richard

You say your pulley is rusty - is it usable despite this? They are now hard to get hold of

Richard

had to cut it to get it off , a solid type or double belt pulley would do me , I tried mailing calcutt with no response , don't have twitter for primrose and Unipart website was a maze

had to cut it to get it off , a solid type or double belt pulley would do me , I tried mailing calcutt with no response , don't have twitter for primrose and Unipart website was a maze

Are you sure a solid type will do? I suspect that you could well be heading for a broken crankshaft if you fit one. The rubber and outer portion forms a torsional osculation damper so without it at certain speeds the crankshaft is likely to eventually twist itself apart.

I had an apprentice who threw one in the decarbonising bath to get the apint off. The rubber swelled up so he just cut the surplus off. The boat get from Maidenhead to Cookham before the crank broke.

Why not ring Calcutt? Also Google Thornecroft and AMC then ring them if they are still trading. I think PB Engineering may also work on BMC stuff.

had to cut it to get it off , a solid type or double belt pulley would do me

I'm afraid it won't, you'll break the crankshaft

Richard

EDIT: Tony beat me to it!

MORE: The first link in my signature is my website

Edited by RLWP

ebay has drawn a blank , most needed is a timing chain cover , and a crank pulley , both mines are badly rusted , i know i need more bits but nobody seems to have websites

Something like this ? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MGB-MGB-GT-ENGINE-TIMING-CHAIN-COVER-C-W-ALL-FITTING-BOLTS-VGC-/142025469680?

hash=item211160aef0:g:w7EAAOSwo6lWGD1-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MGB-Timing-Chain-Cover-/172235465534?hash=item281a08a33e:g:efIAAOSwfl9XBUom

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=mgb&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xmgb+crankshaft+pulley.TRS0&_nkw=mgb+crankshaft+pulley&_sacat=0

Why don't you pm Richard (RLWP) he's probably got what you want.

Edited by Flyboy

Stop right there for a moment.

Your photo is clipped a bit but that backplate looks horribly like one for a two bolt starter so first check for a third hole. If I am right then all I can say is that we had great difficulty obtaining a two bolt starter in the late 1970s so suspect there is all but no chance now. I seem to recall to change to a three bolt starter you need a different backplate, flywheel and possibly the flywheel housing. It may be cheaper to get another engine.

I hope I am wrong.

I would be wary of fitting a petrol engine front pulley unless I was 110% sure its the correct part. If the damping tuning is wrong it might stall snap the crankshaft.

Edited by Tony Brooks

Stop right there for a moment.

Your photo is clipped a bit but that backplate looks horribly like one for a two bolt starter so first check for a third hole. If I am right then all I can say is that we had great difficulty obtaining a two bolt starter in the late 1970s so suspect there is all but no chance now. I seem to recall to change to a three bolt starter you need a different backplate, flywheel and possibly the flywheel housing. It may be cheaper to get another engine.

I hope I am wrong.

I would be wary of fitting a petrol engine front pulley unless I was 110% sure its the correct part. If the damping tuning is wrong it might stall snap the crankshaft.

the local autolec place took the numbers off my old starter and came back with a price of £150 from Lucas , hope they are right ha