Cheap boat -what am I missing?

grannykins

Featured Posts

Looks a perfectly good boat to me. Nothing in the advert other than the price ringing alarm bells.

Give them a call and ask why the price is so low, they must realise it is. The sellers might just say "We want shot of it quickly so bargain price, no mucking about with surveys or anything, come and look then buy it or don't. First person to hand over £15k in a Tesco bag gets it". Or something along those lines.

You might just get a bargain if you are quick enough. It happens occasionally!

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Get in there but get it surveyed first. Needs lots of tlc.

I might buy it without the survey. Looks a screaming bargain to me.

To expand on that, if I don't buy it without a survey someone else will. My advice is buy it without a survey provided it isn't actually taking on water, then fix whatever turns of to be wrong with it later when you have the money.

Getting a survey can be good sense when paying full whack for a boat, but were raving bargains are concerned normal rules are set aside. Forget the survey.

does look a bargain with good engine, i think it will sell quickly, still it could need 70ft of overplating, which i doubt, even if work was needed it would still be a good price. i quite like the homely lived in look of a boat.

Yes, it fits well with the OP's circumstances. Has £15k now and more available in August to deal with any remedial work necessary.

But first, he actually has to view the boat and find he likes it!

If the boat doesn't say 'buy me' to him, then he must not buy it.

AAAAGGGHHHH!!

You may have a lot to answer for Mike! Your opinion is valued as I have been following this forum for several years now, and there are some people who I have sort of come to trust, even though I dont actually know you.

We are going to see this boat tomorrow between 12.30 and 1. He says its so cheap because its 50 yrs old and was out for blacking about 4 yrs ago. He doesn't mind a survey.

Our budget from August will be in the region of 40,000, though we could spend a bit more. Quite like the idea of a cheapish boat we can spend money on getting it to the way we want. A bit longer than we were thinking, but as a liveaboard for 2 of us and 2 dogs I suppose the more space the better.

I don't suppose there is anyone in the know who could come and see it with us? Otherwise we'll just go with our feelings when we see it.

Just an afterthought, - if it did need overplating, what kind of cost would we be talking about? Ish?

I think the boat has already bought you.

As the Vogons say, RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Congratulations on your new boat!!

P.S. My boat is 68ft and 10ft longer than I was looking for too. The extra space is a delight.

sounds like a genuine guy - still go with your head not your heart, a mistake i keep making i admit, hope all goes wel.

Good advice. And be prepared for the possibility that you don't actually like the boat when you get to see it. Boats can be astonishingly different in real life from how they come across in advert photos.

I think the boat has already bought you.

As the Vogons say, RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Congratulations on your new boat!!

P.S. My boat is 68ft and 10ft longer than I was looking for too. The extra space is a delight.

Lol, will take our towels, just in case!

sounds like a genuine guy - still go with your head not your heart, a mistake i keep making i admit, hope all goes wel.

Heres hoping head and heart agree on this one!

Good advice. And be prepared for the possibility that you don't actually like the boat when you get to see it. Boats can be astonishingly different in real life from how they come across in advert photos.

Very aware of this. We have viewed hundreds of boats on the internet, and several dozen in real life over the past few years. It still surprises me when I walk onto a boat that looked really attractive on the ad, yet as soon as I step on board I think -no way'! Yet others I view just because they are there are sometimes surprisingly good.

Won't buy it if either of us doesn't like it, as it is going to be our home.

Whilst this might look like a bargain, i saw this for sale a few weeks ago i think. If it was the bargain it looks, i would've thought it would have sold straight away.

Others are right though, on paper it looks a nice boat at a bargain price.

Exciting times indeed! Thanks for all the good wishes.

It says the ad was only placed 7 days ago.

Is there anywhere I can look for a list of questions to ask that I can write down and take with me? If we like it, I will be so excited I wont be able to think of any!

And any advice on what to look for and where to look in particular, apart from the usual cupboards/bilges etc?

Edited by grannykins

The sort of questions or places I would be looking at are around the edges engine and engine bay, is it dry and free of rust, does the engine start, is the engine cold before getting the owner to start it or is it warm, a sign that it might not start well from cold. When was it last serviced (oil and filter change). Have a look in the gas locker, again is it dry and rust free.

Look for any signs of damp or leaks around windows and the shower.

Does it look like the owner looks after it or does it look neglected, you will probably make that decision within the first few minutes on board.

Good luck.

The list is infinite, but here is a start:

1) What sort of bog? Pump out or cassette?

2) Is there a current BSS?

3) Do you have the receipt from when you bought it?

4) If not, any other evidence that shows you own it? (EG old letters from CRT addressed to the seller.)

5) What sort of battery charging system does it have?

6) Can the boat be cruised independently of the bank or has it acquired a permanent 240v umbilical cord?

7) Water tank. What's it made of, where is it and how big?

8) Can we see the engine please, and check it is cold. Now can we see how easily starts? And observe the smoke!

9) Where is the gas locker and ca we see inside to check for rust?

10) What is the cabin top made from? (Steel probably as Hancock and Lane, but worth checking).

11) Which windows leak?

12) Is it under any CRT 'enforcement'?

For starters. I'll think of more no doubt!

Oh I forgot. If you like it, the best question is "Would you take £10k for it if I give you the cash right now?"

My first quesrion would casualy be "so mate, had much interest?"

Judge his reply as being truthful or not.

If he says anything along the lines of "yes", then quickly follow it up with something along the lines of "do you know why none of them bought it?".

Judge his replies as truthful or not.

• Greenie 1

Apart from all the above :

1. how big is the inverter

2. how old are the batteries

3. how much does the water and fuel tank hold

4. where is the isolation switch

5. does the fire have a back boiler

6. is there a bubble tester fitted

Right - just re reading the ad.

'Steel hull with pine on oak cabin'

Does this sound like it has a wooden top? Would hire boats back then have had wooden tops? Is it really really bad if it is? :(

Does this sound like it has a wooden top? Would hire boats back then have had wooden tops? Is it really really bad if it is? :(

If that's the case, I'm not sure i would want to look after, or have to repair 65 odd feet of wooden top.

Does this sound like it has a wooden top? Would hire boats back then have had wooden tops? Is it really really bad if it is? sad.png

Yes, my parents first narrowboat was an ex hire boat with wooden cabin. Eventually the cabin was replaced with a steel cabin. Depending on its current state and how well it has been maintained it may still be OK. It would increase the amount of on going work to look after the boat so wouldn't be my choice, bad enough looking after a steel top.

What's an "electric flushing toilet"?

From a "girls" point of view (I know nuffing about engines/electcity and such) I'd be happy to pay $15K for that boat, if I had the budget to fix up the inside to the way I wanted it, well if I was looking for a skinny boat that is :)

If you are having a look at it tomorrow then a bit of heavy rain between now and then should sort it out :) not sure what the forecast is?

Wooden tops are either really good or really bad. Not a lot in between.

So we are talking about a steel narrow boat built mid 70s which has a wooden top on it. I suppose at least its not sunk on the bottom of the River Avon :lol:

Does this sound like it has a wooden top? Would hire boats back then have had wooden tops? Is it really really bad if it is? sad.png

Right, I missed that.

In which case, £15k is about the right price, if not a bit 'toppy'.

We've identified why it has not sold in a flash!

So, your questions need to be:

1) Does the top leak?

2) Where does the top leak?

3) Where else does the top leak?

4) C'mon now, there must be more than that!

5) Ok lets start again, does the top leak when it's raining?

6) How do you fix the top when it leaks?

7) How often do you have to fix the top when it leaks?

Etc etc. You get the idea!