rivbolt's

New to this

Featured Posts

Have spotted "rivbolt's" on some diy program, and cant find any reference to them in forums

can think of a few things they might be useful for on a boat

just wondering if anyone has used them and how they found them?

Edited by New to this

Used to use these quite a lot in a factory were I worked - I designed them into some equipment cases and they were in some equipment we made for the GPO. OK for places where you couldn't get access to the other side and the material was not thick enough for a normal thread to be tapped, however much preferred to use ordinary nuts and bolts where possible.

Used to use these quite a lot in a factory were I worked - I designed them into some equipment cases and they were in some equipment we made for the GPO. OK for places where you couldn't get access to the other side and the material was not thick enough for a normal thread to be tapped, however much preferred to use ordinary nuts and bolts where possible.

would always prefer to use normal :)

however can see them being useful when adding exterior equipment as don't have to strip liners etc to use them

Used blind bolts to secure our chimney collar

Dead easy to use, just drill a hole the same diameter of the bolt - insert - give it a quick flick to engage the mechanism and tighten up.

http://www.blindbolt.co.uk/blind-bolt.aspx

ok can see some applications for those thanks, my only concern is you end up, or could end up, with quite a lot of bolt and nut exposed, suppose you could cut the excess back but on occasions this may not be possible due to location

Avoid the tools that look like pop rivet pliers they can only manage aluminium rivnuts.

I use Rivnuts from time to time but I've never heard of rivbolt, which the OP asked about.

And the blind Rivnuts I use are stainless steel, and the (correct) tool I have for setting them looks a bit like a pop rivet plier only sturdier.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

I use Rivnuts from time to time but I've never heard of rivbolt, which the OP asked about.

And the blind Rivnuts I use are stainless steel, and the (correct) tool I have for setting them looks a bit like a pop rivet plier only sturdier.

ohh stainless steel will research :)

When the new laws regarding extra rear view mirrors for HGV's came into operation, I had to retro fit about five lorry cabs with mirrors. A rivnut kit was bought to facilitate the fitting. I wouldn't trust one nut for any sort of loading, but half a dozen distributed as dictated by the mounting brackets supported fairly heavy mirrors. Care is needed with drill sizes and positioning as once the fairly large hole is drilled, it can't be moved.

When the new laws regarding extra rear view mirrors for HGV's came into operation, I had to retro fit about five lorry cabs with mirrors. A rivnut kit was bought to facilitate the fitting. I wouldn't trust one nut for any sort of loading, but half a dozen distributed as dictated by the mounting brackets supported fairly heavy mirrors. Care is needed with drill sizes and positioning as once the fairly large hole is drilled, it can't be moved.

old maxim of measure it once, measure it twice before you cut or in this case drill springs to mind