Boat swop South of France for London

Lollipop

Featured Posts

Hi all,

We have a 1908 Dutch tjhalk 60ft (18m) ,11.5 ft wide (3.5m) which we have been renovating since last summer when it was in dry dock. It is nearly finished and my daughter and I have been living on her in Castelmoron-sur-Lot in the South of France during the week when she has been in school doing her A Levels.

Now she is heading to London to do a course near Farringdon/Barbican. We were wondering whether anyone would be interested in a 10 month barge swop starting in September. We have asked if she would like to go into student accommodation but she would rather live in the barging community because she says "people on boats are much friendlier".

Obviously the closer she is to where she will be studying the better. I guess we are talking Regents Canal, Lee or Limehouse Cut.

Our boat is currently on the Lot which is absolutely stunning. It is only a half day journey from the Canal des Deux Mers, alternatively called Canal Lateral. The trip involves a piloted trip up part of the Garonne and then onto the river Baise although passage does depend on river water levels. You can then follow the Baise or pass through a lock onto the Canal which will take you towards Bordeaux or Toulouse continuing along the Canal du Midi towards the Med.

We would probably not want to move the barge we borrow for our daughter but we are happy for our own boat to be moved provided it is back in the area of Toulouse by the end of the period. In order to move our barge you would need to have your ICC which may need you to do the RYA CEVNI course (£20) which we did online and then RYA issue an ICC based on your IWHC.

We haven't really thought about mooring fees etc - who would pay what - but if we can find someone interested then I'm sure we can work this out.

Really interested to see if we can make this work.

Residential moorings in London are about £10k a year (places you mentioned).

How much is it for a mooring in the area your boat is?

There may be some sort of balance problem financially I think.

I have a residential mooring in London and we are considering going to France but taking our boat with us..

I think there was a barge to rent in Limehouse marina for about £1400 pcm or something. Unless you go for the towpath which is very busy (I came from Greenford to Limehouse today and yes it is Busy!! ) then living in London is going to cost quite a bit, realistically. It would almost be worth road transporting your own boat there and back or buying a boat specifically to live on the towpath then sell it on.

Lollipop, your suggested swap is a good idea. Our barge is in London but unfortunately we are not in a position to spend that long in France at the moment.

You might have better luck finding a swap via the DBA.

Ok, just unhidden this after some posts have been removed, please can we stay on topic?

If you want to discuss politics, then you've got most of the rest of the internet to do that, but please not here.

This boat swop is just such a great opportunity for someone.

If you want to discuss politics, then you've got most of the rest of the internet to do that, but please not here.

This boat swop is just such a great opportunity for someone.

Eh? I can see no political references in the thread.

If anyone, through doing such a swop, gets the chance to go up the River Baise (which can also, and more easily,be entered at Buzet ) then seize it!

But be aware what baise and baiser mean in (slang)French!

Baise does indeed have much in its favour Athy

I am well aware of that - but am not sure how to print a dieresis, or tréma, on my keyboard. The "I" in the river's name should have one and it's pronounced "Ba-yeze".

The barge's location, Castelmoron, is a striking name too - and there's a hire boat in a local fleet named after it!

Edited by Athy

I am well aware of that - but am not sure how to print a dieresis, or tréma, on my keyboard. The "I" in the river's name should have one and it's pronounced "Ba-yeze".

The barge's location, Castelmoron, is a striking name too - and there's a hire boat in a local fleet named after it!

Baïse ?

Thanks to all with helpful advice, Have also posted on DBA site to see if anyone there is interested. Sadly to buy a barge to put in London we would have to sell ours and once our daughter moves on we won't need a boat in London, hence our idea of a swop. I will check out the other site suggested and see if we have more joy. As for Basie or Baïse...it is a cool river to explore which you can't do in all boats...like getting onto the Lot ....because you have to have a pretty shallow draft.

If anyone thinks someone might even have a spare cabin our daughter has enjoyed living on a barge so much she would like to stay on water,

Thanks again