battery voltage question

emlclcy

Featured Posts

Probably, but I suspect the voltmeter is lying. The rested voltage should be about 12.8 so after a week of just sitting there the surface charge should have long gone.

I think it needs looking into, it could also be a battery fault like its sealed and most of the water has been driven off as vapour so you are left with concentrated acid and little capacity (Ah).

Probably, but I suspect the voltmeter is lying.

A very good point.

I had occasion, when I was testing the voltage going into the battery when the engine was running and it showed 19v, fearing that the alternator was on the way out I decided to do some testing - long story - short - the battery in the multimeter was virtually flat and would give random measurements. Changed multimeter battery everything back to normal.

A very good point.

I had occasion, when I was testing the voltage going into the battery when the engine was running and it showed 19v, fearing that the alternator was on the way out I decided to do some testing - long story - short - the battery in the multimeter was virtually flat and would give random measurements. Changed multimeter battery everything back to normal.

They do that

The Varta batteries in my boat seem to act as if they run on surface charge. They will happily retain over 13 volts for a month or more; they have done so since new and nothing has changed now that they are 2 years old and have a reduced capacity.

Edited by Keeping Up