Rickmansworth Festival

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

It was Black Jack I was thinking of. Apparently as Jeanette smith harrison says he would throw windlasses into trees (apparently contractors doing some tree works found a load of windlasses inside a hollow tree trunk)

Only thing is that Lady Capels is is a considerable distance from Black Jacks lock. I read somewhere that the same fellow was looking after the estate for the owner around cassiobury park and nicking boatmen's windlasses.

Probably some confusion somewhere. I also spent a fair bit of time around black jacks lock with the magnet (not as many hours as Lady Capels) but I never found anything interesting there.

The story as I was told many times as a child is that Black Jack was a serveant .

A large slightly simple gentle giant of a man who was v quick & nimble on his feet & had been picked upon by some of the boatmen hence his dislike for the

boat people.

He was v light on his feet & would jump across the lock .

This was his downfall when on one of his many walks along the cut .

Jack jumped across a lock slipped & went backwards onto the boat in an empty lock.

So he could well have been at Cassiobury.on one of his walks.

It is said that on an early quiet morning his shouts & the thud of him landing as he jumps across Black Jacks lock

can still be heard .

I know most of you will say a stretched boatman's yarn but most of the superstitions & story's where to keep us children safe

@ lock's & tunnels.

Edited by jeannette smith harrison

Towy is currently in ricky this weekend but were not going :-( dont have the time as we need to get to braunstone and i want as long as we can get in the tring-mk area as possable

Managed to make it on Sunday AM and we had a great time. Saw the tug of war which was great fun.

Alan did see you with Flamingo, but didn't have a chance to say hi as you always seemed to be busy with other admirers of your fine vessel!

I posted some pics up on the NUG on Facebook as can never manage to get them to upload here! Will have to make sure that 'Ricky' is in our calendar for next year if am home on leave/office based at the right time again!!

We had a brilliant time on Saturday. We only drove down there for the day but full credit to all the organisers for once again making it a truly fantastic event.

We were told (in no uncertain terms) that Banstead needed ballast and so we HAD to volunteer to help. :)

Hence we got to meet Mike and Banstead and spent a throroughly fun aftenoon being ballast. Here are a few of my pics:

https://www.facebook.com/jan.warsop/media_set?set=a.10154110449869070.1073742006.685704069&type=3