Finding red stove paint

Featured Posts

After several years of my stove being Shimmering Rose (a pinky copper penny colour) the tin of paint has finally run out. This has prompted me to go for a change of colour with this year's stove service. Ideally red: preferably crimson but primary red or scarlet would do too

However all I can find in brush on paint is a deep brick like colour called Mojave Red which I really don't like. It seems other shades of red are available in aerosol but not in brush on paint. Which seems a bit crazy. But I definitely don't want spray paint.

Does anyone know of a supplier of brush on paint suitable for stoves in a good red colour? There are high temp exhaust paints out there in brush on red but I don't know if they'd be suitable or safe for a stove.

Thanks0

Sounds good. Thanks. These things never mention suitability for domestic use which makes me wonder if they're safe to use in a domestic situation - for example perhaps they release fumes in a confined space if they go over temperature, that kind of thing?

If its engine exhaust manifold VHT paint, then probably, yes, but not ordinary lowish heat engine paint. As I said in my earlier post I'd get the aerosol VHT paint and spray enough of the paint into the cup and use that to brush it on, it works well, I always paint my flue pipe like that to prevent overspray everywhere.

If its engine exhaust manifold VHT paint, then probably, yes, but not ordinary lowish heat engine paint. As I said in my earlier post I'd get the aerosol VHT paint and spray enough of the paint into the cup and use that to brush it on, it works well, I always paint my flue pipe like that to prevent overspray everywhere.

Hmm. I've tried that before with other aerosol paints and it just hasn't had the adhesion when brushed on. Think it could take a lot of cans to cover the whole thing. :unsure:

• 4 months later...

Thought I'd update this thread as a warning to others. Don't use very high temp exhaust or engine paints on your stove!

My stove used to be painted in a copper coloured Thermacure stove paint. But after a few years of that I'd finally used up the whole tin and fancied something different.

So I painted it in a fab red engine/exhaust paint which was supposed to cope with something like 350 degrees. It's a colour which I couldn't get as a brush on stove paint. It covered well. But!!!! It did not cure well. The first gentle kindling fire caused no problems. The second hotter kindling fire caused the paint to turn a glossy black where the stove was hottest (bottom of the flue)

20160905_194641_zpsvap0yvgs.jpg

I decided to paint stripper it and start again with tried and tested Thermacure stove paint even though it doesn't come in the colour I wanted. Where the red paint had blackened it had hardened and the paint stripper couldn't remove it, even though it took all the red off fine. I've ended up having to sand it off as best I can.

Anyway, the stove is now cream coloured (back to tried and tested Thermacure) which I also like even though it's not red. I know Tillergirl of this parish also used a red high temp car paint on her stove recently, with better results. But I won't be trying it again!

20160921_171157_zpsrz6vnrph.jpg

Edited by BlueStringPudding

I really like the two-tone red & black look.

:lol: I suspect the whole thing would have eventually turned black and red blotches as the fires got hotter which might have looked cool. Alas it was also giving off noxious fumes which I suspect would have never ended as it wasn't curing properly

Edited by BlueStringPudding