Legal procedure of buying narrowboat

hackenbush

Featured Posts

There is no legal 'stuff' with inland waterways.

Pay your money, get a receipt and 'drive off'.

Some seller s will have absolutely no paperwork for you (although by law they should have an RCD file for boats built in compliance with the RCD requirements, but you probably won't get one. (On a 40 year old boat - there was no RCD in existence when it was built)

Other sellers will have a folder full of 'stuff' from the original builders invoice, VAT paid certificate, receipts for every engine service, etc etc, receipts from C&RT for the licences, previous copies of the BSSC and so on.

You may get nothing, you may get loads, but at the end of the day there is no 'log book' or proof of ownership for IW boats Caveat Emptor.

Thanks. So expect nothing, if I get something though it probably won't be of any use anyway?

Also, slightly related, if someone were to nick your boat how would you prove it was yours? And... is there such a thing as narrowboat theft anyway?

Thanks. So expect nothing, if I get something though it probably won't be of any use anyway?

Also, slightly related, if someone were to nick your boat how would you prove it was yours? And... is there such a thing as narrowboat theft anyway?

I don't believe many get nicked though it's not unknown.

Some can become the subject of ownership disputes as a result of things like death and divorce though.

I would not buy one from a private seller without some paperwork indicating ownership - like proof that the seller was the CRT license holder at least.

You can prove it's yours - enough to claim back a nicked one - by having the CRT license paperwork - no so good if you license on line?

You can prove it's yours - enough to claim back a nicked one - by having the CRT license paperwork - no so good if you license on line?

Unless the process has changed since last August, when you licence on line you get access to a couple of pdfs - one is an invoice with all the boat and customer details and the other is a letter addressed to you which has two copies of your licence at the bottom for you to print yourself.

However, they don't prove boat ownership, just add to other evidence available.

Cheers